What methods do you use to believe information?

Al_Fel

I could have probably worded that better but I'm just wondering how people choose what and what not to believe? We live in a time where information can be spread around the world in an instant but a lot of it is fake or dishonest.

As I've got older I've realised its too easy to spread false information and just believe what you are told.

I was wondering if anyone has any methods to help fact check information they get. Obviously you'd spend your whole life looking things up if you didn't just accept certain things as they are presented to you.

21 minutes ago, Ross McArthur said:

Like when people use a TF tape measure? Not gonna believe it till I've counted how many potato's above bar height it is.

I thought the TGS inch pinching days were long gone? It's all about tricking people into watching a video of someone turning a light on now.

Anything politicians say is probably a lie.

Anything Trump says isn't even worth reading or listening to because he has the IQ of an orange, ironically.

Anything Russia, Iran or any other effective dictatorship say is probably a lie.

It's a tricky one though. Just to pick on conspiracy theories the issue is usually that the people pushing them are basically completely engrossed in their belief of what they're saying. Sure they're trying to provide evidence for what they're saying but they're looking at things through rose tinted glasses and so can sometimes blindly believe something or otherwise don't question things enough. It's the difference between a true academic researching a topic, looking at both sides of an argument in fine detail and someone who wants to believe what they're writing without really looking at the alternative.

It's hard to say how I approach things without an example so here's one: The recent Iranian plane crash. Crash happens hours after the Iranian strike on US bases. Unfortunately coincidence very possible. Saw some of the data from the flight tracker- aircraft still climbing (so under power), no distress calls, didn't try to turn around, data just suddenly stops. Conclusion: bomb or less likely a missile. Iranians say oh no no no, wasn't terrorism they just had an engine fire and were trying to return to the airport. Oh and we're not going to let the US or international authorities get the blackbox and we've already bulldozed the site. At the same time low and behold images of the guidance system from a missile have apparently been taken at the site (but impossible to corroborate). Now I'm 90% sure it was a missile and 24 hours later the US are saying they have evidence of missiles being fired and an aircraft being hit. Another 24 hours later and Iran admit that they shot the aircraft down by accident. It's almost laughable that they think that they could cover this up and people would believe their initial story but there you go.

• Like 1

I don’t really pay attention to social media, so miss most of the bullshit on there. But my method is to observe both sides of a topic and either find the truth somewhere in the middle, or trust my gut feeling. But I still don’t take it as gospel.

I think that trusting a news source is nearly impossible these days. They all have their agendas and spin stories. I read several news sites, when I actually sit down to consume some news. I feel that the BBC is my go to/quick day to day news update site though. And The Independant is an absolute joke. But since comedy is pretty much dead, I get a good laugh reading their articles.

I read an interesting article about news papers a while ago. It said that people get a dopamine (or something similar) release when they read a news article that affirms their world view/political view. And like all things that make us feel good, they keep going back. Which is why the majority of people read from one source, or a couple from the same side of the coin.

• Like 2

I think I convince my self what I want to be true.

Bit of an odd example I watched justice league recently (awful) and decided to google who was faster the flash or superman. 

After loads of ridiculous fictitious nerd maths, I decided to side with the story that superman was quicker. why? probably because I wanted it to be true? maybe that plays into it? i

*I have been drinking

• Like 1

On 11/01/2020 at 6:37 PM, Davetrials said:

I think I convince my self what I want to be true.

Bit of an odd example I watched justice league recently (awful) and decided to google who was faster the flash or superman. 

After loads of ridiculous fictitious nerd maths, I decided to side with the story that superman was quicker. why? probably because I wanted it to be true? maybe that plays into it? i

*I have been drinking

I think that's probably what most people do?

You pick a side and try and confirm it in a bias way.

I used to read papers / watch the news and believe whatever they said. My stepdad still does and he's adamant that the Daily Mail can't publish lies.

As I've got older, I've learnt to question everything - I've learnt that the media ALWAYS has a bias. What's written in a newspaper is, nine times out of ten, the opinion of the billionaire that owns it.

If it's something I'm interested in, I'll check multiple sources before I take it as fact. Drives me nuts when people recite a newspaper and argue to the death about it. I had quite a heated debate with my stepdad once when he said "everything on the internet is just written by some bloke" - the Daily Mail is exactly that, the columns he reads are just some bloke. The Daily Mail is one of the worst rags out there, but they all spout as much crap as they can get away with (And sometimes they don't, hence being sued pretty often).

If the media didn't publish lies, I think the results of recent elections, Brexit etc would be very different.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Gabriella said:

What information are you talking about? 
If it's an advertisement for a product, then I'm looking for feedback from buyers.

Here's some feedback: f**k off.

Interesting that a spam bot signed up in 2019, had 4 posts deleted and now has come back alive today.

On 08/03/2020 at 3:16 PM, MadManMike said:

Why have you had all your previous posts deleted then?

And what's with the influx of bots that answer back? This shit is getting creepy.

Can't figure it out, it's been flagged as a spammer in the system which should stop them from posting but they seem to be getting around the system like that Russian dick a few years ago 

• Like 1