Remember When?

Al_Fel

Rob warner pedals haha!

they were ace until they took your leg off when you fell.

trials nation.

haha shit yeh!! rob warner pedals some serious gashage there!

and trialsnation, started by a guy i used to be really friendly with actually, but then didnt speak to for years.. just shows u how fickle kids can be!! haha.

My first bike, Fantic trials. Proper old school. (Trials bikes being based on moto trials bikes!)

Then going onto a Monty with 'roller' cable brakes (non fat back tyre)

I remember when Meagmo first came out in the UK.

I remember a mate of mine riding an early Monty with Triple clamp style forks, an HS11 Maguras (they looked more like moto trials brakes levers)

My Bro getting trophies for 2nd/3rd place in the British Champs back in '88/'89!!

Graded hills. No-one knew how to hop, let alone hop on the back wheel!!!!!

Stuart Matthews being the best rider in the UK an struggling like hell at the Worlds!

Martyn Ashton riding for "Mega" Mik Howard on a megamo 20"

Riding my first UCI comp in '98. Seeing Marc Caisso for the first time :o:o:o !!!!!!!!!!!

Peugeot trials bikes.

Loads more stuff that I have probly forgotten over the years as well.

(dam that lot makes me sound old :P )

REMEMBER WHEN EVERYONE WORE 1 PIECE SUITS??

IPB Image

How many of the riders can you name?????? :D:D

REMEMBER WHEN OT PI HAD HAIR!!!

IPB Image

Anyone recognice the other riders????

I have a few pics, that i might scan in and share with you.

Real old stuff lol

Scott (Y)(Y) :D:P

Scotty your a beast!

Top pic:

top: Stuart Matthews, "Mega" Mik Howard (Megamo importer) Ian Johnson,

bottom: Eddie Tongue, some essex rider, Scott Wilson, another essex rider

Bottom pic:

Kurt Brain, Scott Wilson, Ot Pi, Sam Luscombe

those were the days!!

Peter Rew, I remember my first worlds in '97. Going with your dad an bro an the Holmes!!

Dave Holmes was UK senior champ a few years after that.

Monkey see Monkey do anyone? ;)

My first bike, Fantic trials. Proper old school. (Trials bikes being based on moto trials bikes!)

Then going onto a Monty with 'roller' cable brakes (non fat back tyre)

I thought your first biketrials bike was a 21" mountain bike Baz?

My 'trials bike' was a lovely xc scott with racelines, tiogas, P2's and the seat rammed right down.

Ok, hands up, who's bike 'just happened' to end up looking like Ashton's or Hawziee's bike circa 97?

I actually got asked a couple of times if I was Martyn Ashton because I had a light blue bike (Specialized Rockhopper, seemed like an appropriate name at the time), yellow manufacturers stickers on the stays, and tended to ride with a Volvo Cannondale jersey.

Mind you, people have also asked if I'm Steve Behr in the past, and he's a balding, middle aged South African who takes far, far better pictures than me!

No one did ANYTHING to front, until that Coust vid came out 3 or so years after we all started riding.

Yes they DID!

Ian Cooper and Tibo used to do loads of stuff to front wheel. I remember Tibo doing huge gaps to front at the '99 Urban Tour in Brighton, Ashton doing stuff to front at the Bike Show around then, plus I have videos of him gapping to front in 2002... that technique is age-old!! In fact, look for old videos of Phil Williams and DLB - they were gapping to front years ago too...

Rule of thumb... it was probably invented by Ot Pi.

Oh, Chris, I had a Raleigh Ascender which I painted blue, and I had yellow headset cups!! Then my GT was the same!

Edited by snappel

i remember when i brought a gt tempest, and had cool looking ano blue power pros with a dmr ring thing. A black dcd (all calls a chain device "DAVES CHAIN DEVICE, simple and sounds good i sapose) Mavic d521 sup on a DEORE SILENT CLUTCH HUB (scary), lovley KF downhill bars, and good old tioga factor 2.3, that cut chunks out of my chain stays, those where defently the days!

Mart's Cannondales were mintness on a stick... as was the flame painted Raleigh...

IPB Image

And yes, Akrigg's Pace bikes were always dead nice looking - I've got one of them, but never got round to building it up or riding it.

Didn't DLB used to have one of those Raleigh's? In between the mass of megamo's (Y)

I like this topic a lot. Remember the same one at section7

The beginning (1997)

IPB Image

One of the London rides (i am on the left). Guess Ian knows all other riders. Go on, name them mate :)

Luke Edwards....Steve..erm whatever...Kevin...dont remember the rest :(

IPB Image

I gap at South Bank

IPB Image

Some dodgy kids nicked my lovely Merida in the East London

IPB Image

Lukio on his Pashley

IPB Image

MXAT is the riding spot in Moscow. The left bit was taken in 2001 (me gapping). The right one is fresh (a friend of mine)

IPB Image