Remember When?

Al_Fel

remember when weight saving went REALLY mad? people were running F519 rear rims, X517 front, with El Gato rear/Mythos front. trying to get stocks down to 20lbs :P didn't Monty manage a 17lb stock, or something daft?

First time i started doing 'tricks' on my mountain bike was after picking up a shiny new copy of MBUK Tricks & Stunts special as soon as it came into the shop where i did a paper round. That must have been 8 or 9 years ago now. Have been out of trials for about a year or so now, but still clinging to my old skool Giant in the hope of building it to play on over summer

Michelin HOT S 2.2 tyres, dark red, not available to the public, just for the french pro riders. Michelin tyres were the shit in the late 90s!

Narrow Mavic rims with 1.95/400g tyres on the front

Thomas Öhler's 8,3kg stock bike

Thierry "the cat" Girard

92cm sidehop over a bar -> world record (stock)

sidehops from both wheels to both wheels

Magura kool stop pads + tar

• 1 year later...

Remember driving obscene amounts of miles from Hudds to Essex and back to ride around in Clay Bogs - Mid Essex Gravel Pits and not a piece of gravel in sight!!

Quality road trips with Holroyd, Swallow, Hyland and Howes though.

Trying to get your bike as light as possible 21lb was my lightest. Latex tubes, titanium crank bolts, super light spokes - (radially laced of course), 4 hope Ti bottom brackets - all bent! Race-face carbon Next LP cranks! X-lite titanium skewers (they bent too) etc etc

When the 'rules' changed in the British Rounds so EVERYONE had to have ankle protection - funny how it only lasted a year (after everyone had bought shitty Monty boots from........oh yeah, the people who run the championship and set the rules!!!) Still pisses me off!! :)

When you could fly your bike to the worlds on Easyjet without having to pay extra!

Mrs Matthews in Essex "That's a 5" - lovely woman.

IRC Mud Mad Tyres (for above mentioned 'gravel pit' trials) - and trying not to die on every log in sight.

The essex Team Trial.

Inventing new moves by accident cause there was nowhere to look for inspiration!

Breaking 11 xc frames.

Giro exodus helmets (is that right - or was it an E2?)

X-lite bar end plugs (aka car scratchers)

Flite Titanium Saddles - they were the ones to have before no saddles!

Old XT v-brake parallelogram shim kits to get rid of the slop - did anyone ever fit one successfully?!

Old school DMR V12's

Good old days man.

Remember driving obscene amounts of miles from Hudds to Essex and back to ride around in Clay Bogs - Mid Essex Gravel Pits and not a piece of gravel in sight!!

Mrs Matthews in Essex "That's a 5" - lovely woman.

The essex Team Trial.

Real trials, i miss it haha.

Bring back the essex team trial, best event of the year!!

I remember them days when I could ring my mate at any time in the day and then 5 minutes later we would be out riding in the summer air, and we would stay there for hours in the same spot trying to get up a wall not even a foot high, and I remember riding to town on Saturday mornings, and then having to ride home aching to f**k!

I remember when my freind got a ddg shooter and I fell in love with it, even though it only lasted a week! Our bikes had seats and I ran standard pads on a smooth rim with too much of tar!

I remember when it didn't matter how high you could sidehop, or how far you could gap or how creative your riding was... all that mattered was being out with your mates having a laugh.

I remember getting the train to loughborough and not being able to get off the train as the platform was too short! and then having to ride nottingham!

I remember every ride I've bin on, some bad and good, some were I pushed myself to do things I thought I couldn't, and some were I pushed it too far!

But most of all I remember the people who I started riding with, and I will never forget them days as they were the best of my life :(

I remember them days when I could ring my mate at any time in the day and then 5 minutes later we would be out riding in the summer air, and we would stay there for hours in the same spot trying to get up a wall not even a foot high, and I remember riding to town on Saturday mornings, and then having to ride home aching to f**k!

I remember when my freind got a ddg shooter and I fell in love with it, even though it only lasted a week! Our bikes had seats and I ran standard pads on a smooth rim with too much of tar!

I remember when it didn't matter how high you could sidehop, or how far you could gap or how creative your riding was... all that mattered was being out with your mates having a laugh.

I remember getting the train to loughborough and not being able to get off the train as the platform was too short! and then having to ride nottingham!

I remember every ride I've bin on, some bad and good, some were I pushed myself to do things I thought I couldn't, and some were I pushed it too far!

But most of all I remember the people who I started riding with, and I will never forget them days as they were the best of my life :(

The feeling you get when you do something scary that you know you can do. I remember gapping to a bollard for the first time and how great it felt after making it.

Remeber when....

Planet x trials saddles. Everyone had one!

Planet x was a populuar make in my town back in 2002-2003

Green hope parts were out but were then discontinued.

Elgato were the coolest tyres for street.

Remeber the saracen yearly competition called "hop idol" Then the final round would be at the bike show

Cannondale fatty forks were known to be the best.

Riders used easton bars.

Planet x had that specific trials rim called the BMF.

Edited by Andeee

Planet X 'sticky' pads that were basically the same as standard black pads. MBUK said it was like riding with tar on your rims, haha.

I was so unhappy when i bought them. They soooo spongey and didn't work very at all. God knows what happened to them. I bet i still have them somewhere.

Don't know if it's already been mentioned, but magura HS11's for trials!!!

oh yes, when merlin cycles were selling a front hs11, and a rear hs33(with the massive levers) for like £40. then being annoyed when the hs11 lever flexed and leaked every effin day.

when the azonic ds1's and ds'2s where mint (and we all ran mechs, despite the fact none of us now want gears and they had horizontal drop outs.

the switzerland squeakers, rockwalks.

oh yes, when merlin cycles were selling a front hs11, and a rear hs33(with the massive levers) for like £40. then being annoyed when the hs11 lever flexed and leaked every effin day.

when the azonic ds1's and ds'2s where mint

ive got a ds1 :):) use it as a street/park kinda bike.

But its still got a "trials" set up on it.

BEAST