Remember When?

Al_Fel

IPB Image

this was the video to watch in ore :)

Trials Kings (Y) Akrigg on his terribly short pace, with a chain stay length of -385

no engagements, XT hubs all the way :P . i used to modify them till they clicked like a machine gun and never skipped.

ryan leech and jeff lenosky (sp?) all that gang, good videos VHS aswell :rolleyes:

Edited by BAZZA

when you spent an afternoon snapping all the teath off your middle ring and filing smooth to use as a rock ring - and then bent it the next day!

when you took one bike to a race and entered the trials comp, the xc race and the dh race - and had the best weekend racing of your life!

when ashton and haywes rode for specialized

when marzochi's came with disk mounts on both the left and right fork leg and having them on your 'trials' bike was essential

when you saw the advert for 'teraplanes'? (those triangular flexible plastic things that went on your downtube by your cranks so you could roll over big stuff without hitting your chainring) and thought it was the best bit of kit ever and how great it was there were trials parts available in mbuk. and the found out they snapped if you were anything but baby gentle with them

your bike wasn't a trials bike without a dcd and if you were clever and bought a £1 union jack sticker and put it on your dcd you were the cool one cos your dcd was the same as ashtons and you couldn't buy them anywhere...

oh the days

IPB Image

Everone must have had one of them!

Or is that just me? :-

still got one

and my union jack dcd

oh yeah and giant box 3's with the top bit of the seat tube cut off to make the frame smaller.

and use forks that creaked really really badly but were still the shit

and when onza only made canti brakes and grips

when peugot brought out a trials bike for about £500 and i thought it was the best thing ever - til we realised it was made up of road parts 'which are obviously not strong enough for trials'

Edited by spunkey_monkey_boy

i met Martyn Ashton at an MBUK Urban Tour in Clacton of all places :P

he was messing around on Helen Mortimers Jamis full sus. i asked if he was indeed Martyn Ashton and he replied sarcastically 'yeah, you are?'. He asked me to do a trick but i was so upset that i just rode off. i'm sure it wasn't meant badly though looking back, despite making me want to just quit at the time ^_^

i remember the day my dad shouted at me for hacksawing off the top of the seat tube on my Merlin. roffles

every trials rider i knew had Deore hubs on D521s with tioga dh 2.3s. awesome

Woho, just found some ROP's (really old parts) in my basement. These include a tensioner as pictured above made by Point, a 13T screw on chainring and a Shimano state-of-the-art freewheel (the teeth on the chainring are about 0.5mm deep!), a 1995 HS22 lever, 15 magura slave cylinders in various cool colours including raceline orange and blue. also found some bent monty bars which are in weak red colour and a cracked square monty stem.

Whose got some biketrials stickers? Not that old (about 5-6 years) but wow it was so cool to have them:

[attachmentid=8376]

That guy on the left looks a bit gay.

Edited by Inur

when...only about 30 people turned up to the British Championship.

when...monty brought out the blue 221 in 98, where they had flipped the top tube upside down and it had no seat! No way!

when...people started to wear fox MX pants for trials, but soon realised they were sh*t to ride in

when...people started wearing pot helmets for trials

when...before that everyone wanted one of those massive troy lee helmets

when...your mod tyres were made by pirelli, not monty

when...the UK were desperate for riders to go the world rounds. for example, there were only 13 riders in 97!

when...grinding rims was something only done by europeans; they were considered weird for doing so.

when...dougie lampkin turned up to watch a british championship round, but was persuaded to ride, borrowed a bike, rode with no helmet and came 2nd in the elite class in 96.

when...BBC 2 showed the Devon round of the British Championship in the show Radical Highs in about 99

when....dave holmes was UK elite....what a hero

i remember racing mto-x against kurt brain before he started trials!

and i remember when a back hop was also : Shift,foreward hop,sketch,crank hops,pedal bounce...thats just a few i can remember hearing :S

also...the IN thing to do...tell everyone which was your chocolate foot,and making fun of them if theirs was different.

Carl

HS33 were that expensive you had to drool over them in the LBS!!!!

IRC El Gatto were the best/grippiest tyres since sliced bread BUT punctured when looking at them.

REMEMBER!!!!! those big rides in morecambe and the gatherings through the summer and the night out alan???? god them were the days.

Waynio........................

Sooooooooo many good memorys.

Remember when every who had a pashley snapped the brake mounts off and got 4 bolt mounts brazed on.

Middleburn brought out a 1 piece spider/bashguard and Danny H was the first one to have one on his Zero.

XTR V brakes front and rear.

Flat Monty bars were indestructable.

No one could manual a mod ha ha ha.

Rob Warner pedals.

8 inch gashes in shins. I think those 2 are conected.

Bb heights were measurd from the floor and a 13inch bb was high.

doing your first 3 back hops in a row on a full sus bike.

saying I'd never ride a bike with no suspension again.

saying I'd never ride a bike with suspension again.

saying I'd never use V's again.

saying I'd never use maguras again. you get the idea.

People would fill X-torts with foam to try and shut them up.

Oh and Wayne Damn right those were the days. I've still got the night out on CD ha ha ha. theres about 5 seconds of riding in it. should really try and get it up loaded.

Edited by Anal_Teflon

doing your first 3 back hops in a row on a full sus bike.

Oh yes!

I started when Hope xc/mono hubs were the only choice for trials

Zeros and pashleys were the only frames to have

Everyone drilled everything ( i do mean everything, one of the old salisbury riders had a pash with extra drilled booster, drilled rear mech, drilled bashguard ect.) but there frame to make the bike as light as possible!

When the chris king hub first came out over here everyone wanted one but noone could afford the £360 for one. If someone did manage to get one everyone worshipped them like a God.

I remember when....

The marti/yns rode megamos n were in mbuk doing sidehops.

There were no trials specific parts available for 26"

I rode a 17" orange clockwork and thought it was small!!

Bike 97 at olympia and being amazed at what jez avery could do!!

When crud catchers were 1st released!

Dirt on vhs and it costing bout 15 quid

JMC rip

I owned and indeed still do have a Heavy tools trial frame. It lives on lol

I stopped riding for a while and just before i stopped the brisa b26 had just been released.

Did anyone else go to the bike show live in plymouth?? It was a weekender with xc, 4x dh racing and speed trials!

No one did ANYTHING to front, until that Coust vid came out 3 or so years after we all started riding.

Tucking was not neccesary on sidehops, you just used pure beef to get the bike up there.

You could buy all of your bike parts from a normal bike shop.

You wouldn't get asked silly questions about your bike as it had a seat and didn't have holes in the rims.

You thought becoming a professional trials rider was a viable option.

You dreamt of being sponsored and once you were, your riding career could go no further.

Everyone rode 26" wheels.

"Brantgateâ„¢ where Brant from PX got pissy and refused to sell Zebdi's anymore cos we were twats on the forum."

that was the exact time i started lol,

irc el gato's and kujo's everywhere, sidekicks and those stupid sidekick forks!

chernobyl flavor maggies

fattie forks

megamo

martyn being world champ

Dirt on vhs and it costing bout 15 quid

Still got mine.

Admittedly this particular copy came free with an old MBUK, but I still remember when it came out.

Another one: when EVERYONE had cage pedals because V8's hadn't been invented/hadn't taken off yet. For some reason Triple Traps were the 'in' thing even though they were about as grippy as an eel in a teflon bath and weighed about the same as a rhino with an obesity issue.

I've still got a pair of Wellgo caged pedals that absolutely destroyed my shins - the bone of my shins is actually like the himalayas now, whereas it was pretty smooth before I got them. The cage of one of them got developed into a home made chain device for my 32T ring though...