Remember When?

Al_Fel

soon ha ha perhaps on the weekend? weather provided? we need a venue though some where we can just stay in pretty much the same place and piss about. I can't be arsed trecking for one wall then trecking to the next one.

I remember when I could ride in a carpark trying to do wheelies for hours on end.

I got to test that Rocket trials frame. Rode it first at Devon round of the Brits one year. I was testing it before I got my Saracen from MAD.

Yep Scott im a bit of a hawk eye!!

An yeah i am in Oz, 9am here, 25deg, sunny. Your all jealous I know it!

why would i be?

I love it being wet windy n cold and it getting dark at bout 4:30.

ITS BRILLIANT!!!!!! :ermm:

Hope your having fun matey (Y)

Scott

(one word to describe you, begins with W ends in ER :D:angry: )

Was talking on MSN to Mr. Gray,

Jakers says:

I remember when he used to ride with johny weston

Jakers says:

n johnny used to be totally kitted out to the balls

Louis says:

haha what a ballbag

Jakers says:

for hopping up kerbs

Louis says:

he works in abby centre carphone warehouse now lol

Johny Weston, the UK Brisa importer who used to work for bikedock :lol:

When going to Terrain cycles and thinking the fully built handsomedog was the dogs bollox of bikes

Also when Wayne was like the god of riding for sidehoppping 2 foot and doing a small rail gap- god this shows how trials has changed

TrialsKings with the obvious ridrers, and TrialsRider.com with Alex, Rob, Wayne etc. (wanted to call themselves the TrialsPrinces, lol

When Pete Wright was actually a member in the forum and talking about helium filled downtubes etc

When you could go out riding after work and not have to worry about getting collared by the police or chavs

When everyone had to use the train cos no one was old enough to drive

Finally-When Beeco used to ride. Me, Beeco, Bucky, Tipple etc.....some good riding times at glen

When everyone had to use the train cos no one was old enough to drive
That used to part of the fun when we rode London!!

Never called pedal bunnyhops camel hops - we all called them wheelie hops.

I remember Bike 2002, when Rich Johnson let me ride his bike and do front-hops in front of everyone! I felt like the man but probably just looked stupid... talking of which.. front hops! Pointless, but fun at the time, back when it was more tricks than trials. I remember learning squeakers too after an absolute age of practising...

No way, I remember the Orange Zero's being released. Surely not 5 years ago :lol:

Anybody remember when putting a 'DMR Ring Thing' on your 'non-suspension' bike made its ability for trials increase 10 fold?

Wish I had pics of my '99 Kona Fire Mountain :( Why I've gone to 20 inch as I've got older and bigger I don't know.

Hey Hey nothing wrong with Orange zero's haha. I have still got mine at home its soo short, like 1025 wheelbase. I remember a guy who lived near me had a bright orange Crescent I thought he was the nuts just because he had one. I also remember before the DMR ringthing craze buying two 32t chainrings and angle grinding the teeth off of them then bolting them together to make a bash guard haha good times. Also when my best mate snapped his ballistic suspension forks dropping off a curb, and when i got my 281 RST forks and everyone hated me because I had elastomers instead of just air like the 181's everyone had. Oh yeah last one, my mates kona chute in chrome and yellow.

Remember :

-When Blair WASN'T prime minister (Y)

-When Clinton was president? (Y)

-The O.J. trial? (N)

-When Bill Hicks was alive? :huh:

-When grunge stopped being cool? :(

-When hiphop became cool? :(

-When Rob Warner was cool? Did that EVER happen? :P:lol:

-When Chris Akrigg was the next "Jesus" according to Mr. Ashton?

-When your mom was relieved that you decided to be born after she was in labour for 11 hours? :D

-Remember when Coustilleur went back to Koxx? Hang on wasn't that last week? ^_^

But seriously I remember when:

-V brake vs Magura was the debate NOT disc vs Magura

-only pros from spain or france used front cogs/freewheels

-everyone said using a rear disc would cause your frame to snap

-Echo ES4 was the lightest trials frame ever at 1500g (still is?)

-shimano silent clutch hubs were the sh*t!

-back wheel hopping was magical

-22/19 gear ratios wear heavy enough for 26" trials, lol

-El Gatos were amazing trials tyres even though they suffered snake bites like no tomorrow!!!

-Geax made the first high volume lightweight 2.3 tyre ~700g?

-people ran mavic 517s as a front rim!

-people ran 1.9 tyres on the front and 2.2 tyres on the rear

-hutchinson green tubes were THE tube to use on your rear wheel

-when stealth hub released a instant engagement hub and biketrials.com reviewed it saying it made chris king hub feel like it had slow pick up!

-and finally when we all rode far worst than we do now?

later

Edited by Glass

oh my god this is the best topic ive seen on TF yet! (within reason)

I remember the day when tarty made a visit to kendal, and had the lightest bike in the world, latex innertubes, 519 rear 517 front, cannondale frame i think, michelin hot s! oh my god

Also remember Mike Bentham? he was pro..

i remember shimano deore hubs where good! you could hear them click a few times on rotation!

Fatty forks were the only uber trials forks for 26" in the world..

using a road cassette for the first time

still got a merlin in my garage! less than 2.0 tyre clearence on it!

leaving my pc for an hour to download a 1539kb clip of mike bentham doing a bunny hop onto a rail

when vincent was riding junior at the worlds..

caisso owning the world champs on his megamo and never failed to have the same coloured one piece lycra suit!

danny comas using double disc on his megamo! riding it with style

JJ gregorowicz using a brisa b26d with a 160 rear rotor... LOL

oh my god this is the best topic ive seen on TF yet! (within reason)

I remember the day when tarty made a visit to kendal, and had the lightest bike in the world, latex innertubes, 519 rear 517 front, cannondale frame i think, michelin hot s! oh my god

Also remember Mike Bentham? he was pro..

i remember shimano deore hubs where good! you could hear them click a few times on rotation!

Fatty forks were the only uber trials forks for 26" in the world..

using a road cassette for the first time

still got a merlin in my garage! less than 2.0 tyre clearence on it!

leaving my pc for an hour to download a 1539kb clip of mike bentham doing a bunny hop onto a rail

when vincent was riding junior at the worlds..

caisso owning the world champs on his megamo and never failed to have the same coloured one piece lycra suit!

danny comas using double disc on his megamo! riding it with style

JJ gregorowicz using a brisa b26d with a 160 rear rotor... LOL

mike still rides tom, hes on a toxin now.

-22/19 gear ratios wear heavy enough for 26" trials, lol

still are ?

I dont think this is old school but,There's a vid of some guy riding a sliver orange frame and was praticlly awesome....Ill search in a min.

i had a grey one ... and a white one .... although id be fairly positive that its not me - I was dump back then

oooh a good one - anyone remember when they rode with the seat up ?

Edited by manuel

This topic scares me... I'm looking at most of these threads thinking 'that's not old skool'! As an example poeple are mentioning Mavic 517 rims and Echo ES4's- That's new skool baby! I'd already been riding 4 or 5 years when that stuff came out!! Old skool to me is a 16" GT backwoods frame with triple chainset, STX-RC V-brakes and club roost bars. Bash rings hadn't reached the mainstream (Nearly wet myself when I saw the 32T Blackspire Ring God in a magazine) and Magura's still cost over £250 for a set...

That's new skool baby! I'd already been riding 4 or 5 years when that stuff came out!! Old skool to me is a 16" GT backwoods frame with triple chainset, STX-RC V-brakes and club roost bars.
I agree - everyone seems to think that 'old skool' is anything a year or two old.

Old skool is mod bikes with dual crown rigid forks, skinsuits, XC frames. I'd say everything pre-Brisa, Onza, Koxx, etc.