Homemade Tensioner

Ash-Kennard

just made mine by bodging the slider off a 74 kings and cutting a sheet of 1.8mm carbon. The carbon is held in place by the hub bolt and is pushed against the chain, the 74 kings part flexes creating a sprung tensioner. I made the carbon the shape to stay within the frame as much as poss. Its REALLY stiff carbon, so I have no bending or strengh worries.

gallery_50_200_32323.jpg

The whole thing weighs 14g.

*needs the main hub mount drilling to 10mm before anyone says. I'll get a pic when its on the bike (if it works)

2sixstreet

How is that tensioner able to pivot if it is getting pinched between the frame and hub? I want to make one like this, but I have a QR Chris King.

It doesnt. You put it on before you tighten the wheel up, allowing it to tension, then tighten it up, and it all stays nice.

2sixstreet

How is that tensioner able to pivot if it is getting pinched between the frame and hub? I want to make one like this, but I have a QR Chris King.

Sorry for late reply, am currently down under lapping up the sunshine...

The hole in the arm is big enough to rotate freely around the end of the hub right next to the cassette lockring. It doesnt get pinched at all. The spring does all the tensioning.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont need carbon fibre!

here are a couple of pics of my attempt, works well so far. Same design as kennards as i copied him, hehe ;).

n516357730_259839_6585.jpg

n516357730_259842_5394.jpg

n516357730_259843_5986.jpg

hopefully now i wont be scared of learning side hops because it doesnt matter if i snap the mech hanger.

• 2 weeks later...
just made mine by bodging the slider off a 74 kings and cutting a sheet of 1.8mm carbon. The carbon is held in place by the hub bolt and is pushed against the chain, the 74 kings part flexes creating a sprung tensioner. I made the carbon the shape to stay within the frame as much as poss. Its REALLY stiff carbon, so I have no bending or strengh worries.

gallery_50_200_32323.jpg

The whole thing weighs 14g.

*needs the main hub mount drilling to 10mm before anyone says. I'll get a pic when its on the bike (if it works)

Thats pimp"!!!

I made a tentioner by getting a DMR STS and sticking it in the vice so it is flat now

all that it is held o my is the axle and a cable tie to keep the tention lol

works very well :D

i don't get it

but i want to do it as i've got an sts tensioner

explain for me please 'cause i'm a 'tard!

:)

thanks

n516357730_259843_5986.jpg

hopefully now i wont be scared of learning side hops because it doesnt matter if i snap the mech hanger.

take your hanger off?

that really made me laugh!!!!

Edited by Benjaminge

that really made me laugh!!!!

Hey, don't laugh at my bike, okay ? Actually, if I remember correctly, the spoon currently on my bike weight like 30 something grams...

In related news, I just made myself an aluminium foundry so expect more weird bike parts in the months to come :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So i no this isnt really home made but :) its mint basically im sure alot of you no that rollof tentioners dont like thick chains :( well you can space them out and just about get away with a khe but i run a whiperman g1 and they dont like them at allll so basically i just spaced the front jockywheel out and left the rear one as it was And did this ......

P1010231.jpg

P1010232.jpg

P1010234.jpg

Cheers :) oh and it works a treat as you can see ive hit it a wee bit and its been fine :)