Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

my biggest problem is that that they are " fancy" ones with blue LED that just light up the whole room.

I plan to change case as well, as front vents are blocked by unremovable cages...

My PC does need an overhaul :(

my biggest problem is that that they are " fancy" ones with blue LED that just light up the whole room.

I plan to change case as well, as front vents are blocked by unremovable cages...

My PC does need an overhaul :(

I removed my entire HDD cage with an angle grinder last year and suspended the HDD in the dvd drive bay with a few rubberbands (less noise, just don't forget to check them from time to time!) and stuck the SSD to the rear wall, so your argument is invalid. :P

The last atx case in my house turned into angle grinder fodder so I could wall mount the motherboard. The hdd & ssd are mounted onto an adaptor plate screwed to a plywood plate which is in turn screwed to the wall, the psu is held in a similar manner with a cradle made from wood.

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

okay we have 2 issues with my PC

The GTX 770 is a beast, the " problem" is that the software lets it OC to the max, and that is 85C, and the cooler cant really keep up so it is really loud.

secondly, the whole PC is really warm. so warm in fact that even when I leave it idling for a few hours in the closed room (10% use on CPU and GPU) my room is much warmer...

ideas I have: get a i5 haswell with a mobo so the CPU will be 84W TDP instead of 125W

get a more efficient cooling like WC and keep the temps low.

Problem with these ideas is that they are expensive. Skylake is a bit more, thanks to DDR4.

So I wait until I sell my car, and probably look into this problem a bit more

I'd just like to point out that if your room is warm a better cooling system wouldn't effect the temp of your room. If your room is warm your pc cooling system is doing what it's supposed to be doing, getting the heat out of the pc. 

I'd just like to point out that if your room is warm a better cooling system wouldn't effect the temp of your room. If your room is warm your pc cooling system is doing what it's supposed to be doing, getting the heat out of the pc. 

He's talking about getting lower wattage components so they generate less heat.

Got a new camera and failing to learn how to use it, but thought these weren't too bad.

21761957359_486681515a_o.jpg

21760657420_4aa45ee6b5_o.jpg

Edited by Muel

Now i feel guilty about my cable management.

Some areas are quite bad haha. This build is pretty much finished now, so before long I'll learn to use this camera and get some decent pictures when the daylight is decent.

Having a worrying problem at the moment though. Since I messed around trying to get dual boot working (impossible with my SSDs in RAID0) my system takes ages to post, and it will take 30 secs at the login screen before the keyboard connects and I can type anything. I think there's something up with the USB3 controller...

A crap photo of my caseless computer, it's mounted about 10" off the floor to stop dust/cat hair ingress.
140mm fan on the cpu blowing upwards, the gpu is cooled by airflow from the two 140mm fans blowing upwards from the base (one of them is disconnected at the moment because of an annoying rattle and in reality isn't needed).

The cabling isn't super neat and tidy from that angle but it's all tucked out of the way and without a modular psu there is a load of cable unused that needs to be stashed.

IMAG1059.jpg

Are you really saying that a man of your means can't short circuit a couple of leds? :o

Caseless is the way forwards, current ambient in my mancave/cupboard is 25°C, cpu is 28°C, gpu is 25°C :)

I will be honest with you in the past year I could not be arsed, as I used my PC just for work.

Am I the only one that thinks 10% at idle is a lot? 

BTW idle for me means loads of tabs open plus stuff at the background, I tend not to close anything

my PC idles around 24C, whereas my GPU runs around 32 degree, while playing FHD youtube video

the GPU cooler is not struggling, it does what it said to do.

I set temp target high (85c) and fan curve not progressive enough, so while the GPU OC itself to 1267 MHz (stock clock should be around 1085, PNY 1206MHz) it just needs better cooling. I see what can I do with case fans at the weekend 

A crap photo of my caseless computer, it's mounted about 10" off the floor to stop dust/cat hair ingress.
140mm fan on the cpu blowing upwards, the gpu is cooled by airflow from the two 140mm fans blowing upwards from the base (one of them is disconnected at the moment because of an annoying rattle and in reality isn't needed).

The cabling isn't super neat and tidy from that angle but it's all tucked out of the way and without a modular psu there is a load of cable unused that needs to be stashed.

IMAG1059.jpg

I almost want to donate to you my spare CM 690 nvidia case but then again maybe not cos I want to see you post one day where you say you dropped something and short circuited a few things and wish you had a case.:rolleyes:

It's fine, the white bit you see at the top is an old nylon chopping board that is screwed to the sliding keyboard tray on my table, it's my mousemat and when slid out it covers the computer.  With the tray stowed the only thing exposed is half the heatsink which could take quite a susbstantial force and certainly more than the few bits of paper stored on the shelf above the pc is holding.

I have my pc, airbrush/painting station, all my 40k and an office chair in a 43" square walk in cupboard, there isn't room to have an atx case hence the wall mount and it's been like this for almost 2 years; besides which I'm not clumsy and have never knocked a drink over on my desk :)

I could have mounted it above desk level but then would have pretty much wasted the space the right of the desk and lost a good section of usefull wall space.

Thanks for the offer though :D

Told the wife the other day that I'd ordered a new wheel for the ever evolving simulator setup. I hadn't, I was mainly just gauging how much trouble I'd be in if I had. Forgot about it since then, until about a million items of clothes just turned up for her – apparently because I'd ordered said wheel. 

Looks like I've got the go-ahead then!

• Like 3

Yea this isn't much more than that. Logitech G27. It hasn't even arrived and I'm bidding on a load cell upgrade for the brake pedal though. I've also been drawing up some loose plans to make a DIY 3DOF motion rig too... I have a feeling I'll have to buy the bits for that in very small chunks to get it under the radar...

• Like 1