F1

Fish-Finger-er

How to be an F1 fan:

Support Ferrari

Support whoever has won the most championships in recent times.

Do you also support Manchester Utd?

I cannot stand football.

Just because I like Ferrari and Seb it doesn't mean I'm some sort of simpleton. What you're attempting to do right now says far more about you.

Pretty much one if the earliest memories of mine was the 1994 F1 season, and going down the pub for a carvery with my dad and watching the racing. My dad was always a Senna fan and I was always a Schumacher fan, obviously Senna then died in San Marino and I continued to follow Schumacher through the 90's as I grew up.

So I was always a Schumacher fan, then as I got old enough for Motorsport to actually mean something to me Schumacher signed for Ferrari in 96 and I had to have Ferrari EVERYTHING and everything had to be red.

So in short if I like Ferrari and that upsets you, then sod off and stop being a stiff Jason.

Sebastian Vettel is a modern day Schumacher, and he looks just like me. So I've got to think he's great, because were basically twins.

Edited by Pashley26

I never said you were a simpleton, I said you support the obvious. Doesn't mean you did it for simple reasons, but when you support that combination you have to expect someone to ask the questions and have a better answer than a personal dig.

Seb is showing himself to be very average this year. The only negative about that is that clearly Webber wasn't as good as I thought he was. Ferrari have a great history, but have also been very average for a long time. As Adam said, I don't see how that combination will result in anything other than mediocrity.

Ferrari have never really interested me until I went to goodwood FOS, thy hss kids in the cars, drivers knocking around the paddock and stuff it was very very relaxed but very cool to see them letting the public get involved. Red bull on the other hand where like the SS..

Anyone else think that vettel has been a bit disloyal to red bull? They've given him 4 world titles and he's had one bad season in a car that's been able to win yet he's leaving. I am not a big fan of his.

I'm more curious as to who's getting replaced? Buttons contract is up soon and he's getting on a bit?

Not watched qualifying yet but know the result.

Sergio Marchionne is how.

Vettel has already proven that given the right tools he can do the job.

Sergio Marchionne is now president of Ferrari. And he has singled out the poor performance of the engine as being the largest problem for Ferrari in recent years.

That last bit's pretty questionable in a way - their windtunnel was totally misleading them when it came to developing their car, meaning that their "upgrades" weren't usually upgrades at all when they got to the track, so while other teams were able to consistently develop their cars throughout the season theirs usually didn't progress as much meaning they were slightly left behind. That's why they ended up having to use a Toyota wind tunnel for the past few years because their own setup sucked so much. The way the team is run hasn't helped either - the fact that team f**k-ups led to Alonso missing out on at least one title highlights that enough.

The reason Alonso's leaving is because he knows that Ferrari aren't going to be able to given him a championship contending car for the next few years so he wants to go somewhere where it's possibly more likely. He's said as much himself (that he wants to get at least one more title before he retires, and if that means driving for a different team then so be it), and the fact that they even had a release clause based on his position in the championship is proof that they're aware of it themselves. Consequently I'd imagine that Vettel will be as average next season as he is this season now he doesn't have a blown diffuser to mean he can just rail a car around corners.

Most chat about the Honda engine is that it's currently significantly behind schedule, low on power and high on fuel usage so it's not even like doing a switch over to McLaren would necessarily give Alonso a championship worthy car next year, but if they unfreeze the homologation rules for the power units it might give Honda more catch-up time during the season so he might have more of a crack in 2016.

Anyone else think that vettel has been a bit disloyal to red bull? They've given him 4 world titles and he's had one bad season in a car that's been able to win yet he's leaving. I am not a big fan of his.

I'm more curious as to who's getting replaced? Buttons contract is up soon and he's getting on a bit?

Not watched qualifying yet but know the result.

Ron Dennis has made it reasonably clear he's not that interested in Jenson Button driving for them any more (both outside the team through press conferences and the like, but also internally with the lack of talk about contracts with either driver. The fact every Jenson interview makes him sound like he's desperately applying for a job - "They need an experienced driver" "I already have a great relationship with Honda management" - suggests that behind closed doors he may have laid his cards on the table too), so I'd imagine they'll see if they can agree terms with Alonso then go from there. It'll be interesting to see if Alonso even has a seat next year though - Luca de Montezemolo apparently asked Alonso if he had a farewell gift that he'd like, and Alonso said he'd like to be released from his contract. With LdM being Alonso's main supporter at Ferrari and them baulking at his new wage demands for any potential contract extension, it seems like Ferrari have kind of rushed this news out so that they could f**k him over a bit and make the game of musical chairs start a little earlier than Alonso would have liked.

Oh - in case anyone fancies some shiny new bits, all this Caterham shit is up for auction courtesy of some bailiffs (pending results/payments from this weekend):

Quantity Item
1 Caterham Formula One ‘rig car’ part stripped Chassis No CTLO13
1 Ansible Motion 6 DOF Motion Platform Series 1 – 2011 model – 1240kg – Serial 004 which includes:
3 x Screens, Lateral & yaw platform, Zimmrail VW26014896, 2 x Servomotor AKM65K ANC22-00,
2 x Linear actuator rods, Motion platform base with electrical ancillaries & steer motor drive, Cab shell,
Cab carcass, 2 x side platforms, Support cage, Silver tank, Motion control cabinet & additional extras.
4 Projection Design Projectors (for motion platform) Black Model GP2 11390001/2/3 & 101-1340-08
1 Caterham/Lotus F1 steering wheel F1 2010 Serial O1D032800
4 Caterham F1 wishbone RLWB #11, #16, #18 & #20
3 Caterham F1 wishbone RUWB #13, #14 & #17
2 Caterham F1 dampers RSD #7 & #8
6 Caterham F1 drive shafts RURT #9, #12, #14, #19, #21 & #22
10 Caterham F1 brake sets #320, #321, #334, #319, #364, #374, #375, #376, #377, #3691 & #3711
2 Pairs Caterham F1 rear bells race
2 Pairs Caterham F1 front bells race
1 Caterham F1 pressure taping tube
1 Caterham F1 steering column (short) #07
1 Caterham F1 brake calliper (right rear) #1238
1 Caterham F1 power steering set #L07 & #L11
1 Caterham F1 bag of master cylinder parts
3 Caterham F1 hoses
2 Caterham F1 yaw shroud (pitot)
1 Caterham F1 brake drum (right hand)
1 Caterham F1 brake drum(left hand)
2 Caterham F1 side pod tuning veins
2 Caterham F1 progressive springs
1 Caterham F1 exhaust tail pipe
2 Caterham F1 throttle dampers (TI shaft & Spec 6)
2 Caterham F1 pedals
1 Caterham F1 grid trolley cover
1 Caterham F1 water expansion bottle
2 Caterham F1 front piston right hand
1 Flir laser speed detector
2 Lengths of lashing rail
6 Pairs Shoes with steel toe caps
198 Assorted Haimer CNC drill and milling bits all complete with arbors
43 Assorted MST CNC drill and milling bits all complete with arbors
6 Nikken CNC drill and milling bits all complete with arbors
3 Schuck CNC drill and milling bits all complete with arbors
1 Seco CNC bit complete with arbor
1 Framed shirt (Jano Truli) 2010
1 Framed shirt (Kovalainen) 2010
1 Framed baseball cap (Jano Truil) 2010
1 Framed baseball cap (Kovalainen) 2010
1 Framed wing mirror Lotus Cosworth T127
1 LG 84 inch LCD TV 84LM960V
20 Sets of Caterham F1 wheels and Pirelli tyres
2 Caterham race suits
7 Pairs Sparco gloves
1 Tig welder 166i
1 Oakley Weigh indicatory digital scales
1 Digidrive
4 Caterham race car starters
1 Bauer compressor
2 Air jacks
1 Facom multi drawer tool cabinet on wheels full of nuts, bolts & other fasteners
1 Machine (Klauke)
1 LG 47 inch 3D smart LED TV 47LA660V
1 LG 29 inch TV
1 Steering wheel Caterham/Lotus F1 2010
1 Steering wheel (simulator) 13LS0053L1
10 Windscreen V2
2 Caterham F1 ARB rocker assembly
20 Caterham F1 units of ballast
2 Caterham F1 small duct #0259 & #0260
1 Caterham F1 plastic mirror lens
200 Bolt (counter sunk) M6
130 Lock nut (unf)
40 Stud (live lock)
20 Spacer
5 Top hat (track rod)
4 Stud (LD 0773)
5 Top hat (inside)
4 Caterham F1 shoulder strap bracket
3 Caterham F1 turbo hose
2 Caterham F1 non return valve
1 Caterham F1 fire bottle filled assembly
1 Caterham F1 solenoid bracket
1 Caterham F1 power conditioner cage
2 Caterham F1 outer caliper duct #0265 &#0266
40 Caterham F1 SPOV feed pipe V2 hose
2 Caterham F1 heave link -3.5 deg assembly
4 Caterham F1 heat shield WG RWD
4 Caterham F1 heat shield WG FWD
2 Caterham F1 PAS FTRD seal housing LH
2 Caterham F1 FTRD SLA seal V2 LH
45 Caterham F1 wheel nut angled necked mouth LH-MK2
45 Caterham F1 wheel nut angled necked mouth RH-MK2
1 LG smart TV 3D 55 inch
2 LG screen
3 LG LED TV
1 Faro 3D scanner arm
1 Faro Tripod

1 Faro laser level

Why does it not surprise me that Jardo's two favourite drivers have been Schumacher and Vettel?

Vettel has been consistently outperformed by his teammate in an underperforming car. How is going to another team with an underperforming car going to help? Oh because Kimi will be his teammate and he hasn't exactly been on it since he came back to Ferrari.

It's a shame Jenson could see himself without a seat next season, but I guess in F1 terms he is getting on a bit.

Alonso is taking a risk leaving Ferrari, but it seems a calculated one, it's not like the team has delivered a car that performs as you would expect.

Schumacher was a beast in fairness. Without rule bending Newey design features though it seems that Vettel's not quite as top level. In fairness to him, the blown diffuser setup that made his last few cars so ridiculously good is partially the reason that he's struggled more this year, but at the same time the amount Horner used to go on about how quick Vettel was to adapt suggests he should have got his shit together faster. In some ways it's unsurprising that Ricciardo's out-performing him as Vettel essentially went from a really good car to an average (overall) one, whereas Ricciardo went from a slightly below average car to an average one. He's definitely got the skills though as the over-takes at Monza showed, and you would have thought that Vettel would have managed to start more consistently out-perform him at this late stage of the season if Vettel really was the better overall driver.

Why does it not surprise me that Jardo's two favourite drivers have been Schumacher and Vettel?

Vettel has been consistently outperformed by his teammate in an underperforming car. How is going to another team with an underperforming car going to help? Oh because Kimi will be his teammate and he hasn't exactly been on it since he came back to Ferrari..

Because I'm a winner. And Schumacher and Vettel have exactly the same attitude as me. f**k everyone else so that I win.

But Senna was the same.

I cannot wait to see Kimmi and Seb together, I think they will work really well.

And seriously, maybe not next season but 2016 if Sergio does what he says he is going to do to the F1 division of Ferrari I think they will be a strong force.

I'm just happy that I will be able to support one team not two.

I imagine that "f**k everyone else..." attitude is probably fairly rife in the F1 paddock though, it's just that Vettel was in the right team at the right time (and made the most of it). Look at Rosberg as an example - no-one gave that many f**ks about him before, but he's clearly shown this season that he's willing to do some relatively underhand things to make sure he wins/gets the most out of a situation.

Alonso was willing to put McLaren in a situation which ended up with them being banned from the Constructors championship in 2007 and fined $100m just to try and make sure he was number 1 in the team...

Those lap 18/19 overtakes by Redbull were most entertaining!

I've only ever seen one person overtake on the outside of the curves, Keiichi Tsuchiya in the All Japan GT. He kind of runs wide into the first corner and boxes the S off.

Do we think they'll get off Inters before the end of the race?

So I was always a Schumacher fan,

I find that disappointing given his history of taking people out to try and win.

Vettel isn't all that. Remember he only just scraped by webber for the first championship (partly webber bottling it too), and after that all he needed was confidence that he finally had webber in his pocket to keep winning in a car that was waaaaay better than anything else on the grid. Ricciardo is destroying him.

I think what has just been said about the digger counterweight and the height of it is pretty worrying.

Definite shades of the Maria de Villota testing crash in terms of an unfortunate coincidence of circumstances/heights/sizes. The only 'good' thing about Bianchi's situation is that he hit it more sideways, meaning the roll hoop and cockpit protection took some of the blow. The FIA are reporting CT scans show a "severe head injury" though which doesn't bode well.

As a slight side note, the tread pattern on that front Pirelli is almost identical to what you could buy on a P Zero Corsa, which is now discontinued but still available on eBay in odd sizes and is fully road legal.

0312_sccp_02_z%2Bpirelli_p_zero_corsa%2B

I find it really interesting that a road tire that Pirelli pulled from production in 2005 through 2006 has an almost identical tread pattern as a current F1 wet.

The Corsa was a stupidly great tire, so it just strikes me as quite cool.