Prototype Hope Mod Screw On Rear Hub

Ashley Smith

basically at this point in time, hope would manufacture the screw on mod hub with a disc mount, in 32 and 36 hole, in the 6 colour options

and a pro2 mod hub with a disc mount, in 32 and 36 hole, in the 6 colour options,

Why are they still considering the screw on hub? Hope are well known for the reliability of their cassette hubs, releasing a screw on hub seems slightly pointless to me.

Edited by Mark King

Hope free wheels???

I wouldn't change for Hope FW either. Just because i don't need to change. If it broke/ died ect. i probably would just get a Pro 2 perhaps, depending if the Eno failed and lost my confidence in them. But i wouldn't just change it to change it you know? It's not worth bothering when i feel it works well.

That is also the problem, many other riders will end up deciding, do i actually need to buy one of these? But then again trials is growing still..

That's amazing, tis about time though :P

And as Rowan said, a lot of riders would much prefer an Allen key bolt than a spanner.

But being as i ride stock, i don't care

(H)

Only if it were 8mm bolts as standard. The 6mm close up too easily!

To me that just looks like a smaller cassetbody, and obviously a smaller axel, which would make sooooo much sense to do, that way if you wanted to changed from stock to mod, all you have to do is get a differnt size casset body. And also They are such good hubs.

the chap me and ash have been speaking to regularly visits this thread, therefore takes postives and negatives away and sorts them out.

for example, the pro2 trials hub (26") the bolts and such forth, we have/are considering 10/12mm through axle??? as it will be stiffer and lighter than 2 bolts.

its good to see, (me and ash in particular) have got in with someone who 1st visited the Easter BunnyHop earlier this year was inspired and saw a hole in the market that hope could fill. and 3/4months later. sherbang!!!! i think they just needed to see the simplicity of a trials bikes components and pick what they wished to produce.

Wayne.

PS 2 wheels going begging tomorrow at addingham moorside for test, think iv got 1 lined up so will still have 1 spare for someone to test (Y):D

PS if anyone has/is getting a new rim and spokes for their bike soon and want to test a hub and want it building and sorting, i could put them a hope hub into the wheel to test also.

Edited by Waynio

Are the through axles for 135mm spacing going to be appearing any time soon?

I'm getting fed up with the crap 6mm sockets on the m10s they currently use. Got one on a frame with horizontal dropouts and it keeps slipping, sqewing the rotor slightly so get strange wear on the disc pads making the performance a bit dodgy at times.

I would turn one myself but can't get into the workshop at the minute. If there's any going spare I'd buy it straight away.

Wow, it finally lives! As a stock only rider who has been using 135mm hubs for my whole riding lifetime, this hub is very interesting. I can see why people would prefer the standard bolt in end caps, but having experience of other forms of MTBing it really makes a lot of sense to have a through axle in trials. Certainly I think its a step forward, and I can see it leading to a dominance of mod spaced stock frames in years to come. It should lead to a stronger, lighter and stiffer frame/hub interface.

If this hub is released, I would seriously consider selling my 2 Pro 2 hubs and frame and buying a new mod stock 116mm frame with hubs to match. If you can run a Hope then suddenly mod-stocks become a lot more appealing!

Waynio, i am due a new rim and rear hub pretty soon.

You probarbly will not want anything tested by anyone who isnt pro etc, buti have been very interested in this idea and am glad to see it being prototyped. I can build wheels, so thats not a problem, and ride regularly, so will be able to try the hub often and in most conditions.

I would be very privalidged to test or have any involvement in such idea!

Owen

They look good, but could they sort out bearings?

I'm on my 4th Pro2, and my 4th set of replaced bearings.

I've cracked one and stripped the ratchet on 2 of them, crushed 2 of the smaller driveside bearings and 2 of the larger non drive bearings. Also snapped 4 springs.

Still the best hub I've ever used, but from my point of view the 2 main points of improvement are the bearings and the ratchet stripping.

How either of these could be improved I've no idea, but it seems the depth of threads on the ratchet isn't sufficient or needs stronger metal in the driveshell.

They look good, but could they sort out bearings?

I'm on my 4th Pro2, and my 4th set of replaced bearings.

I've cracked one and stripped the ratchet on 2 of them, crushed 2 of the smaller driveside bearings and 2 of the larger non drive bearings. Also snapped 4 springs.

Still the best hub I've ever used, but from my point of view the 2 main points of improvement are the bearings and the ratchet stripping.

How either of these could be improved I've no idea, but it seems the depth of threads on the ratchet isn't sufficient or needs stronger metal in the driveshell.

the bearing issue was taken on board a long time ago, still in development, a needle roller bearing is the general idea at the moment for the ratchet body.

the pro 2 mod hubs use custom stainless steel bearings.

the chap me and ash have been speaking to regularly visits this thread, therefore takes postives and negatives away and sorts them out.

for example, the pro2 trials hub (26") the bolts and such forth, we have/are considering 10/12mm through axle??? as it will be stiffer and lighter than 2 bolts.

its good to see, (me and ash in particular) have got in with someone who 1st visited the Easter BunnyHop earlier this year was inspired and saw a hole in the market that hope could fill. and 3/4months later. sherbang!!!! i think they just needed to see the simplicity of a trials bikes components and pick what they wished to produce.

Wayne.

PS 2 wheels going begging tomorrow at addingham moorside for test, think iv got 1 lined up so will still have 1 spare for someone to test (Y):D

PS if anyone has/is getting a new rim and spokes for their bike soon and want to test a hub and want it building and sorting, i could put them a hope hub into the wheel to test also.

Id be willing to test one, will need to buy a new rim and spokes soon enough anyway and live in burnley which isn't to far away. Im no elite rider, do expert but im quite the basher ask ash he will tell you so id give one a good testing. Give use a pm if you fancy it.

We sponsors a handful of the uks best bmx riders, including mike "jersey" taylor, if you want i could ask him to chuck one on his bike and you can see how long it will last..

Odyssey = pissed, and he's also running 28:10 or something like that, isn't he?

• 2 months later...