Ashton Effect About Time

matt_urban

At last the ashton effect is in stock at raleigh so will be about in shops in the next week or so rrp is £519 i might have a sample bike for a few days tomorrow so if anyone is intrested in a look pm me? :rolleyes:

spec

This 24-inch wheeled bike is a ground-breaking design by Martyn Ashton. The intention was to create a bike capable of technical Trials riding whilst still retaining the ability to excel on street obstacles and skate parks. This exciting bike is neither a BMX nor an MTB; more a 'BMXTX' that can handle 45-inch side hops and 30ft Back-Flips. The Effect prototype has generated amazing interest over the last year whilst ridden by Martyn on the Animal Relentless Bike Tour, "This is simply the most fun bike I've ever ridden. I can point it at any obstacle and hit it with confidence; the tight geometry means that I can make the simple stuff interesting, the Effect is so agile that I want to spin it off everything." Martyn Ashton.

Brand: Diamondback

Wheel Size: 24 inch Wheel

Frame Size: 10"

Colour: Blue and Gun Metal

Material: Alloy

Weight: N/A

Features:

Gearset: Single speed (converter) 13T with Truvativ Hussefelt 1.1TG cranks with 22T ring

Brakeset: Front Quad QMD5 mechanical disc brake with 180mm rotor, rear Tektro V brake

Wheelset: 24" Trials rims on Formula DC hubs, front 32H, rear 36H with Kenda K-Rad tyres

Controls: Trials riser bar and stem

Finishing Kit: Alienation Recliner pivotal saddle

Frame: Alloy hydroformed frame with CNC gussets

Forks: Rigid Alloy trials

RRP 519.99

Brakeset: Front Quad QMD5 mechanical disc brake with 180mm rotor, rear Tektro V brake

If it's got vee mounts not 4-bolt adapters, I need a frame.

Actually, they've got disc mounts too... Any idea how much a frame's going to be? And what's the final geo?

Been on Tarty for a couple of weeks. Let us know what the rear hub's like as on first glance it looks like a weak link...

I have ridden the justice with the same hub, and whilst it has fewer engagements that I would like, it felt solid - didn't skip in a whole day of proper trials abuse and thanks to it being bolt up, pretty stiff... For a budget start bike it's pretty decent.

Plus you would have paid less money for too before the 17.5% vat came into effect

So you would have saved a fiver, big freaking deal, the frame is £209, that's filthy cheap for a quality frame. Ashton never should have put a release date on it to start with, at least then it wouldn't have got pushed back, but still, its hear now, proven by Rowan and Martyn, good geo and a bargain.

why are they putting a cheap hub in the frame wouldn't it be cheaper and easier for upgrades to provide a screw on hub and a freewheel? i mean if it came with an ACS claw it wouldn't break the bank to buy a trials free wheel a few weeks down the road...

About time somebody put ISCG mounts on a trials frame. Would make for nice use of having a STREET gear and a TRIALS gear.

Thats for the truvaitv thing right? I saw that and thought the same, great for street n trials. But the hammershmitt (or however you spell it) is like 450 megabucks and apparently the rock ring on it might not be quite up for trials bashing?

Anyhoos, looks a nice idea, bit out of my reach though.

why are they putting a cheap hub in the frame wouldn't it be cheaper and easier for upgrades to provide a screw on hub and a freewheel? i mean if it came with an ACS claw it wouldn't break the bank to buy a trials free wheel a few weeks down the road...

There's a lot of sharing of kit between the Effect and the Justice to try and keep costs down (e.g. forks, cranks, hubs, etc.), so I'd imagine that to keep a 'street' gear on the 24" they felt they should probably sort of compromise on the Justice more? Equally, Martyn was playing around with the idea of using the Hammerschmidt system so I guess it was to keep that option open and allow people to try out different setups? Regardless, not anything that a cheap sprocket wouldn't solve on the Justice, and it's not a big deal in any case on a bike that price.