Ali C - Brakeless (High Quality!)

Mark W

Marks bike?

Yeah, filming bike freewheel is the sound you're hearing I reckons.

That looks like so much fun! Think it's time to make my Inspired lighter methinks...

ooooooooh my god im a donut!

:huh: so special some times

Brilliant video. I'm glad we still have riders like Ali C..this kind of video reminds me of the good old days of trials. No "TGS", well shot and nicely edited without linkin park or another annoying music. Great riding with lots of variety...quite nostalgic!

Dave

Truly amazing flow, looks like you ride natural as if you were in a skate park!

It must be an absolute joy ride when you manage that constant balance tuning on the fly :- )

You would nearly make us believe that brakes are just dead weight in trials. :blink:

Spanked it Ali!!!

This is amazing - especially when you just start sicking everything out in Leeds - that place brings out the best in you by the looks of Uni car park wallride, playhouse gap and stairs, town hall art gallery roll down ledge, up n over ledge and train station hook!

Im buzzing to ride now!

Thanks

Ibs

that was really nuts about 3/4 into the video the riding gets really crazy. However I think brakelessness is pointless, I am sure he could have done every single line in that video with a brake, so like 50% of the lines in it are only hard based on the fact he has no brake, meaning its restricting the riding. Ali Cs favourite trick of mine has always been his 360 nosepicks which their were none of. Now the video was really amazing, I am just saying riding brakeless seems like riding a road bike to me. Sure more impressive because its harder to do stuff on it but its not progressing the riding unless you are doing things you could not do with brakes. My favourite trick was at 4:47 for some reason I liked that the most I was thinking their is no way he will possibly maek that. The last manuel was either totally insane or filmed so it looked a lot crazier than it was its really hard to tell how narrow and high the ledge was. The only other thing I don't like is fish eye lens but the filming and editing was very good.

I would still like to see this done brakeless with working brakes.

Surely just dont use the brakes?

Not being a hater or anything just my thinking.

You'd be surprised at how different it actually is to have no brakes as opposed to just using no brakes. Just not having them there at all really makes you approach things from a totallly different perspective (Y)

I am just saying riding brakeless seems like riding a road bike to me.

I'd have thought of all people you wouldn't have that kind of attitude bearing in mind most of your videos seem to consist of low-level (in height terms) BMX stuff done on a trials bike?

Sure more impressive because its harder to do stuff on it but its not progressing the riding unless you are doing things you could not do with brakes.

There were a few lines in there that Ali said he couldn't do (and I've seen him be unable to do) without brakes.

The last manuel was either totally insane or filmed so it looked a lot crazier

It was insane, which is why it was the ender for the video in that everything else built up to it. It's a pretty narrow ledge, a bit of bar at the end of it with a massive drop. It was pretty windy on that day too!

I would still like to see this done brakeless with working brakes.

Surely just dont use the brakes?

Not being a hater or anything just my thinking.

Take your brakes off for even 5 minutes and you'll see how it's absolutely nothing like riding with brakes but not using them.

I'd have thought of all people you wouldn't have that kind of attitude bearing in mind most of your videos seem to consist of low-level (in height terms) BMX stuff done on a trials bike?

There were a few lines in there that Ali said he couldn't do (and I've seen him be unable to do) without brakes.

It was insane, which is why it was the ender for the video in that everything else built up to it. It's a pretty narrow ledge, a bit of bar at the end of it with a massive drop. It was pretty windy on that day too!

Take your brakes off for even 5 minutes and you'll see how it's absolutely nothing like riding with brakes but not using them.

nah its not the same thing, if I was better on a bmx I would ride one obviously but i suck crap on a bmx, Ali C is amazing with brakes so I am wondering how it has improved his riding without having them. Its good riding but if he had brakes he would be like better than danny mac.

Edited by sayshell

Ali C is amazing with brakes so I am wondering how it has improved his riding without having them

Your bike control improves because you're not relying on your brakes to help you out all the time. Your wheel placement and line choices improve because you have to think more about where your bike is than if you had brakes on. Not having brakes means at spots you tend to find other things to ride than just taps, gaps, sidehops and 'normal' moves. You look at spots that you previously wouldn't have done. It helps keep your speed up for hooks (hence Ali being able to do the last hook to 90 in the vid which he couldn't do on his 'proper' bike, although there were other factors at play there too) by making you not kill your momentum by using your brakes in them. It also helps your balance out loads too. It's really, really good! It's also a metric shit-tonne of fun.

Your bike control improves because you're not relying on your brakes to help you out all the time. Your wheel placement and line choices improve because you have to think more about where your bike is than if you had brakes on. Not having brakes means at spots you tend to find other things to ride than just taps, gaps, sidehops and 'normal' moves. You look at spots that you previously wouldn't have done. It helps keep your speed up for hooks (hence Ali being able to do the last hook to 90 in the vid which he couldn't do on his 'proper' bike, although there were other factors at play there too) by making you not kill your momentum by using your brakes in them. It also helps your balance out loads too. It's really, really good! It's also a metric shit-tonne of fun.

sorry but you can't possibly say bike control improves lol at least for trials riding. I think I get what you are saying, when your brakeless you learn things that you normally would not learn so that if you put brakes back on again you would have developed new control techniques. By no means do you have to ride all tgs with brakes though you can just change your mentality instead of changing your bike. The only actual difference is the having 1 extra finger on the bar, and 500 grams of weight. I don't know brakeless seems the same as chainless to me. For trials anyways. If brakeless is more fun though then do it.