Ali C - Brakeless (High Quality!)

Mark W

Haha, my absolutely frozen hands by the time he finally pulled it were evidence of it not being one-time

Hah at least he kept going for it, i would've pussied out of standing on it! Whats with the quotes ATM you quote anything it goes mental i just had to "weed" my quote.

Edited by davey1991

sorry but you can't possibly say bike control improves lol at least for trials riding.

I think he just did... for the reasons he mentioned. And from what I've heard and seen (yet to get the balls to actually try this whole brakeless thing) he's right. Just by improving wheel placement (and of course the understanding of where the wheel is beneath you) and overall control of the bike, I don't really see how you can refute that it' will improve your control when going back to a braked bike.

You learn so much more than you would think by riding without the brakes it's unreal - little things that wouldn't even be given the time of day without. People rely on brakes far too much and don't even realise it!

Even the little things like learning to control your speed whilst moving about, or getting a better weight-shift and body position for getting up a wall are overlooked with brakes as it's possible to just use a brake - a lot of the time this is completely unnecessary and could be dealt with through other means. Sure, it's more important in competition or on natural riding but there's a reason that those guys have better bike control than most ;)

I think he just did... for the reasons he mentioned. And from what I've heard and seen (yet to get the balls to actually try this whole brakeless thing) he's right. Just by improving wheel placement (and of course the understanding of where the wheel is beneath you) and overall control of the bike, I don't really see how you can refute that it' will improve your control when going back to a braked bike.

did you even read what I wrote? I said if he meant it would improve control after you switch back to having brakes then I understand it, but if he meant that whilenot having brakes you are more in control then with brakes obviously that can't be right. For trials anyways. You would perpetually accelerate unless you do a 90 but in many scenerios this is impossible, for example a triple rail gap would be impossible brakeless.... well maybe not but a quad would probably be... you know what im saying

There weren't really many other crashes or anything other than the ones I put in the video itself. I'll have a look through and see if I can find some, might lash together a clip of the week or something...

Awesome riding there, Ali. Smooth, flowing, etc. which is just what I like to see. The riding definitely makes me excited about getting back on the bike.

With regards to my thoughts on the edit, Mark, that was definitely a good first effort. Where the music allowed it, in terms of change, I could clearly see that you made use of correlating it with the riding for the purposes of emphasis. I actually think that's probably the single most important technique for producing a good edit in the sense of making the riding better than it is within itself. It's often something that's missed though. However, I do think the music didn't allow for all that many opportunities of correlation that emphasised and when pretty much every move Ali did was really impressive a song with more points of emphasis/change could have made a stronger edit. But then it's not easy finding music that supports that approach and it's something I really struggle with these days. The flow of the riding perhaps would have made things a bit easier in that sense. The rythm of the music certainly worked in a background/ambient sense and sometimes that can be enough. However in relation to that, on occasion, I felt that the riding sounds (Ali's hub, wind and passing cars) drowned out that rythm/music and kind've spoilt the continuity. Although the hub does sound good I think it's sometimes better to just let the music take precedence (again for emphasis) and especially so when there are useless noises such as a busy road/wind. It does all differ though from place to place in a video according the variables present. This is all perhaps a bit picky but I'm making the assumption you might appreciate thinking about it in these terms.

Anyway, ramble over. Hope that helps, is wanted, and isn't too incoherrent or abstract. No doubt my views are subjective to a greater or lesser extent though. Importantly, regardless of the 'reasoning' side of things it should always be operated on from an intuitive position: "What's the feeling of bike movement/surroundings relative to the feeling of the auditory (musical) movemment?". That's the conclusion I've been holding onto for some time now anyway.

But yeah, make efforts to produce some more videos and get a video of yourself out (Y)

Where the music allowed it, in terms of change, I could clearly see that you made use of correlating it with the riding for the purposes of emphasis. I actually think that's probably the single most important technique for producing a good edit in the sense of making the riding better than it is within itself. It's often something that's missed though. However, I do think the music didn't allow for all that many opportunities of correlation that emphasised and when pretty much every move Ali did was really impressive a song with more points of emphasis/change could have made a stronger edit. But then it's not easy finding music that supports that approach and it's something I really struggle with these days. The flow of the riding perhaps would have made things a bit easier in that sense. The rythm of the music certainly worked in a background/ambient sense and sometimes that can be enough.

Shit - I'm not even going to begin to delete the 'br' codes there, so you'll have to bear with me :P Hopefully I'm not going to sound massively defensive here, 'cos I'm definitely taking on board some of your points, but there were quite a few subtle bits where his riding is in time with the music, either be it a guitar strum or drum beat. It's not necessarily in time with a '1-2-3-4' beat, if that makes sense, but there are bits there where it's just in time with the guitar playing and so on, although they might not be as obvious to someone looking at the vid who's not seen it before than it is for me in that I edited it. But yeah, if you look there's a few subtle bits there where it does fit. The main aim with the song was that I wanted one that built towards the end, so it kinda worked in that sense. But yeah, cheers for the opinion :)

Shit - I'm not even going to begin to delete the 'br' codes there, so you'll have to bear with me :P Hopefully I'm not going to sound massively defensive here, 'cos I'm definitely taking on board some of your points, but there were quite a few subtle bits where his riding is in time with the music, either be it a guitar strum or drum beat. It's not necessarily in time with a '1-2-3-4' beat, if that makes sense, but there are bits there where it's just in time with the guitar playing and so on, although they might not be as obvious to someone looking at the vid who's not seen it before than it is for me in that I edited it. But yeah, if you look there's a few subtle bits there where it does fit. The main aim with the song was that I wanted one that built towards the end, so it kinda worked in that sense. But yeah, cheers for the opinion :)

Fair enough and that's a good point anyway. There's a multitude of ways to interpret any piece of music and in that sense there's a multitude of ways to allign differeing interpretations with some visual event. Perhaps where I'm missing an allginment the next person isn't. I guess though that's when a song that has strong or very obvious points, divisions or changes can work to our advantage, in so much as it makes it more difficult to miss. Like I said though, I did pick up on correlations that I felt worked well in your video.

I'm probably being picky, and what I say might be irrelavent to what you want to achieve, but I thought you might appreciate an honest appraisal from my point of view I always crave that from others when I make vids :)

Edited by Ben Rowlands

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...