Brake Pad Backings

gary-mac

What do you prefer  

28 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT BACKINGS AND WHY

• METAL
    • PLASTIC

Hi peeps, right when i was down at the 3rd round of the tyke trial last wkend i noticed that alot of top/good riders are using plastic backings so its making me wonder why and what are the reasons behind it. Also when watching super elite riders on the p.c i notice alot of them also use them.

Edited by gary-mac

Just going on my current set up i would say plastic. I've switched from cousts in metal backings (Heatsink) to cousts in plastic backings (direct from Mr Coustellier) and there is a marked difference in performance. Can only really be the backing that's making the difference as everything else is the same.

My Rock blues in CNC backings were pretty damn good too.

Mixed reviews really, I use metal backings and there amazing but am really interested in other people views on this. I will try plastic backings and see how they fair up to metal backings.

Edited by gary-mac

I too am using Coust pads bought directly from Michael Coustellier, in plastic backings

Pads are unreal, best i've used on any set up.

But really its down to marrying up the best combo of pad compound, rim and appropriate grind (Y)

My set up is:

Coust pads

Try-All Hole rim

Light Sharp grind

05 HS33 with 4 finger blade

Clamps with no C washers

I bought a couple of pairs of ali c's joypads which were in powerpad backings and had to swap for cnc. The hs11s just crushed the backing when I used them (on the rear) so I had no braking power at all. The front seemed ok though, may have been different had I not been using a booster.

why to use metal backings

Like all maggy pads you really have to take the time and have the patience to set them up properly.I've been riding 10+ years with magura's so i've had aloooot of practice and battered tarty with questions about set ups.The guy above cant really blame the pads when his are so poorly let up. Look horrendous!

I have tried loooads of pads i'm using koxx reds in plastic backings and these are crazy good and are still completely square.I've tried coustsinks and TNN LGM's.

I think I prefer metal backings.Far better performance imo.

I too am using Coust pads bought directly from Michael Coustellier, in plastic backings

Pads are unreal, best i've used on any set up.

But really its down to marrying up the best combo of pad compound, rim and appropriate grind (Y)

My set up is:

Coust pads

Try-All Hole rim

Light Sharp grind

05 HS33 with 4 finger blade

Clamps with no C washers

Josh is right. his brake is the best break i have used in a while, although I recently bought new mount(echo, using no C washers/0rings) and since setting my brake up again i would never go back to plastic backings. I use Heatsink reds in the old heatsink backings as I have found them to be better than the new ones.

So i think a brake set up well wether its plastic or metal backings, with a decent material, it should work beautifully.

The guy above cant really blame the pads when his are so poorly let up. Look horrendous!

Whats wrong with his pad? There is some uneven wear on either side, thats what happens on all pads on almost any set up when the wheel is forced back and forwards regularly.

Metal backings are stiffer and give a more constand spread of force over the whole pad. I do prefer a plastic backing on my front brake though as is feels a bit "softer".