The Car Thread

MadManMike

Strange, never heard of that to be honest. The camshafts are chain driven, as in almost every bimmer. I'm rather surprised that fails, one would have thought that it's a lifetime solution. My engine is at about 300k miles now, there's some concern regarding chain stretch which could be causing the engine to run slightly unevenly at low revs but that's about it.

Yeah sorry I meant timing chain (not belt). There's a bit of a buzz on google about it, but I don't know if its widespread enough to be called a problem. But it's expensive/catastrophic if it happens.

I keep looking at other cars and stuff for next year, keep coming back to Honda's.

Didn't somebody on here have a lush EP3 CTR?

I've got an FN2 and love it, pretty much everything a hot hatch should be IMO. Never driven an EP3 but they're supposed to be pretty similar. I know people say the EP3 is more raw etc, I'm not sure how true that is to be honest but I expect it's a nice machine all the same. The only problem is that they don't have much tuning potential - At least not without spending loads. Never bothered me but it might bother some people. I definitely 'get' wanting a Honda though.

I kind of want something a bit more grown up now though.

Did you try and open it from the drivers side and pull one half of the glove box out of the dash, leaving the left hand side of the glovebox hanging and just about to break?

No, I *tried* to open it from the drivers side but it behaved as if it was locked. So, I "unlocked" it and it behaved as if locked (As you'd expect, as I had actually just locked it). So, unlocked it and tried again, no luck.

Being a man I just yanked it harder and broke off the handle. On closer inspection the whole mech was busted anyway and the latch it connects to has broken off so I need to replace the whole thing.

Fun times.

That's a common fault on the Leon's/toledos, you may be lucky and find a separate mechanism but most scrappys will want to sell the whole glove box. Personally I'd just use some velcro on it.

Greetings, I think you are right about the interior thing, all the cars I've looked at just have dire interiors and they feel cheap and nasty, especially the e46, it's utterly awful compared to the e36 which I quite liked. The b6 a4 interior looks a little better but is still fairly dull. The worst is the Volvo s/v40, even French cars have better interiors! luckily my saabs still going with no more faults, fingers crossed it lasts a bit longer so I have time to save.

So tonight I took the mechanism / latch off the glovebox to see if it's repairable and guess what...

Someone has previously glued a bent nail and wooden clothes peg on to the mechanism in some retarded type of bodge effort - literally never seen anything so stupid.

Anyway, on a couple of Seat forums I managed to get a replacement part number for it and can get it from Seat for £26 apparently.

Love that video, it's been doing the rounds on the car forums and facebook, but I could watch it countless times anyway.

I spotted the front tyres on the Passat were getting a little low on tread, and I'm bored of slippery budget tyres, so I stuck the wheels from the Scirocco on it for the time being:

DSC_0156.jpg

It's an improvement over the steels, but I think it needs something an inch or 2 bigger, and a simpler design. I think I'm going to drop it a little more too but I need to roll the arches first. Feels good to be back on decent tyres though.

Driver error, back end went light over a crest. Easily done, especially considering the power increase since the last time he was there in that car. Sounds like the car's had it but Nick's fine. I'm sure he'll be along with pictures/writing of his own soon enough.

Yeah, it's pricey business.

Taken from their site;

Optional extras available at additional cost include armco repairs, safety car attendance, vehicle recovery, track closure, hospital stays and helicopter rides. I recommend avoiding these. If you can't, then the following price-list may help:

• Base fee for attendance of armco truck: €150
  • Removing damaged armco: €10/metre (x2 or x3 or x4 for multiple-height sections)
  • Replacement armco: €31/metre (x2 or x3 for double/triple height)
  • Removing damaged armco posts: €5.10 each
  • Replacing armco post: €39 each
  • Safety car attendance: €82 per 30 mins (car + 2 people)
  • Circuit closure: €1,350 per hour
  • Recovery truck: €190 (inc VAT)
  • Hospital stay & air ambulance: Let's just say, do NOT go there without travel insurance! (Though a European Health Card - which replaced the E111 - may cover the hospital bit.)

Everything except the recovery truck is then subject to 19% VAT.