The Car Thread

MadManMike

Hmm mine is the same, I put it down to being a 2 litre lump in a big car, but it's a fairly torquey motor for an N/A petrol, might look at mine too. What engine have you got in yours?

Edit: Just done some maths and the last 220 miles, 140 motorway i was seeing 37.1 MPG

Edited by craigjames

My car as it currently looks, front bumpers need repainting, need to roll/flare the front arches slightly! due tot he fact im running 235 tyres and 10mm spacer on the front and 5 on the rear!

Also looking to fit a full polybush kit, roll center adjusters and thicker rear anti roll bar.

Rebuilt a gbox and put an lsd in it, waiting to get a new clutch/flywheel then I can finally go forced induction! currently at 248.7bhp N/A :D

7616628488_01f1d8fb2b_b.jpg

Edited by Toby
  • Like 1

lsd gbox still sitting in the garage :(

Erm internals are all standard apart from dc5 cams

intake, 70mm tb, rbc inlet manifold, 4-2-1 exhaust manifold 2.5inch catback system and kpro ecu.

Edited by Toby

I'm currently in the process of buying my first car (Deposit to be paid tomorrow then picking it up some time next week :dance: ) but what is the protocol for insurance and what not? When I sort insurance out beforehand for the year, what happens about the car not being in my name at that point? Is "The car WILL be in my name" enough for the insurance company? I can't seem to find a straight answer via Google...

If the car will be in your name on the date the policy starts (ie you have the green slip you'll get from the log book) then you're all good. If it'll be in a parents name or something the insurance has to be in their name I think...

lsd gbox still sitting in the garage :(

Erm internals are all standard apart from dc5 cams

intake, 70mm tb, rbc inlet manifold, 4-2-1 exhaust manifold 2.5inch catback system and kpro ecu.

Lovely civic! I'm sure I've made it clear in the past, I'm not generally a fan, because most have a bean tin exhaust and not much else, and are slow, but that sounds lovely!

Friend of mine had one with a 4-2-1, catback, and K-pro which made 229bhp, I'm guessing your extra 20bhp comes from the cams, TB, and inlet? Sounds impressive.

LSD and a decent geo setup was the best thing he ever did on that car, transformed it totally!

Big car is being fixed. Both longerons are bent but not badly :( Insurance working out well, should get 2g's more than it's going to cost to fix. Full repaint coming in autumn, in the mean time I need this car badly so just going to have to put up with the front end being painted in 4 different colours.

imag0324v.jpg

Also some M3 detail pics:

41140640350487969858949.jpg

33506440349193636655011.jpg

61660940232980314943011.jpg

61476340232983648276055.jpg

62185340306898974217816.jpg

47358540276583310582749.jpg

• Like 1

If the car will be in your name on the date the policy starts (ie you have the green slip you'll get from the log book) then you're all good. If it'll be in a parents name or something the insurance has to be in their name I think...

What Jiddles said, but I think it's called the "New keeper counterpart". Or some shit.

Damn car is covered in tar, and not only did the paint not match very well but the rust is already coming back. >_< Feels like all that bodywork was a waste of time. Next time I'll just whack some hammerite on instead!

Added some generic white things on the back for extra chav appeal. :P

post-29859-0-95002300-1344441179_thumb.j

Lovely civic! I'm sure I've made it clear in the past, I'm not generally a fan, because most have a bean tin exhaust and not much else, and are slow, but that sounds lovely!

Friend of mine had one with a 4-2-1, catback, and K-pro which made 229bhp, I'm guessing your extra 20bhp comes from the cams, TB, and inlet? Sounds impressive.

LSD and a decent geo setup was the best thing he ever did on that car, transformed it totally!

Its pretty loud as my back box is a spoon N1, but it sounds incrediable once your giving it some!

Tb from what I'm told is worthless, even the drag car at the tuners didnt need one till 750bhp and only beacause they wanted a bigger intake pipe, 20bhp from induction kit inlet manifold and cams. Also the dyno it was on is notoriously conservative with numbers, they measure as standard type rat around 187bhp, what I got was pretty impressive on there rollers.

Haven't had the geo done since changing tyres, only done it by eye and set the tracking with crappy gauges, won't get it done properly till I get the gbox in as you need to remove the subframe so everything gets disturbed anyway!

Greetings, that looks stunning!

Edited by Toby

Sounds good mate, there surely can't be much more to come from the K20 can there? and I'm sure you'd love having some torque when you get a blower :lol:

todays update!

My new steering wheel arrived yesterday, So I came home today after my shift and got on with things.

Old bent fake OMP wheel:

50997753.jpg

Quick measure up to get a reference for how the flat wheel alters position:

e5b451ef.jpg

Old wheel off:

11d0c1d2.jpg

And the shiney new OMP Targa 330:

29b39d92.jpg

At £140 for a wheel, you'd expect to get some bloody bolts with it woudln't you? But no, so a trip to the bolt shop was needed.

Horn wired up, and fixed part of the removable boss bolted up to stay:

94a2c00d.jpg

Removable section clipped into place:

474e34ed.jpg

And new wheel on:

06b8eb69.jpg

Finished:

a6290409.jpg

85397329.jpg

Feels perfect with the seats in the new location now, I hadn't realised but my old wheel was actually 350mm, despite being sold as 330! For some bizzare reason I never actualy measured it up. Glad I didn't go for a 300mm wheel, the 330 is nice, but smaller would be bad news I think!

WIth that done, I refitted my 32mm neuspeed rear ARB, setting it to medium this time, was on full hard when I crashed :( No pics as it was under the car and dirty - couldn't be bothered.

With plenty of time left, the ******* blue bumper was staring at me, and I couldn't take it any longer, so off it came!

Gave it a quick rub down:

3119bb2d.jpg

Then a few coats of satin black, just to stop it standing out quite so much

0924c7d6.jpg

7435c01f.jpg

3e04a5ca.jpg

Then I took it for a test drive and it broke down :)

8e25a150.jpg

Suspected intermittent crank sensor issue I think, although I've left my VAGCOM lead at work, much to my disgust after a 20 minute walk home to get it!

Got a lift back to the car, and it started again just fine, turned it off, and it wouldn't restart for a further 10 minutes. I have a dodgy plug on my crank sensor anyway, and it's the original 215k unit, so I'll swap that out before I next use the car.

On a side note, I was thoroughly pleased to find this Picture on Frenchmans new website / FB page for his photography business: Pierre Mellows | Facebook

4a4d7fd0.jpg

Thanks man, it was one of those things I'd either fix quikcly, or it'd sit on my drive for another year and I'd lose motivation and give up on it. Giving up wasn't really an option, so I had to get it fixed up asap to complete what's left of the trackday season, then I'll address the smashed up quarter over the winter I think.

Feels bloody lovely to drive now with the new wheel and seats all sorted. Position is perfect, and the new wheel feels very small, but supremely comfy.

haha, if this one is a fake I'll eat my hat, it came from Demon tweeks, in a genuine OMP box, with an OMP warranty card, and cost half as much as your car! if it's a fake heads will roll!

I'll admit, the dished wheels look better, but it's function over form for me from now on....

• Like 1