The Car Thread

MadManMike

It is a carb model, with what I think is a weber on. I am pretty sure it does have a warm air feed on the air inlet and I'm sure I've ran the car in colder weather thab today and had no issues. I had a quick look at the leads into the coil/ dizzy to see if I could see anything out of the ordinary but it seampt okay.

It has some inline filters on and they look clean so doubt it has any crap in it?

I had a look inside the dizzy cap and it was fairly clean with nothing jumping out at me.

There anyway to test a coil?

I'm not aware of any way to test it besides replacing it unfortunately. Same goes for the ignition amp. I've got spares here but you'd probably have it sorted by the time I managed to find them and post them out to you! Let me know if you really need them and can't find anything more locally.

My Scirocco had issues with clogged lines when I first got it too, they also looked clean and the filter never picked anything up, but sure enough every time I blew and air-line down the lines it was good again for a few weeks. Whip the sender out under the rear seats and take a look in the tank, should be able to see if there's any crud floating around in there easily enough. (Pretty sure it'll be the same deal as the Scirocco's, in which case it's only 3 screws for the cover, remove the fuel lines then twist the sender anti-clockwise ~1/8th turn, it'll only take a couple of minutes, worth a look regardless.)

It's unlikely to be carb icing with the warm air feed and a Weber. (I'm pretty sure yours does have a weber if I remember right from the advert pictures.) The weather that causes it's not necessarily what you'd expect, I found slightly damp and just above/around freezing were the worst conditions for it.

Oh yeah, meant to say your heater only working on the highest setting will be the resistor pack for it, can't remember where it is/what it looks like on a mk2 though.

Edited by RobinJI

I said it was the resistor when you got it :P

I have my money on your carb being dirty inside, consequently because the fuel lines will be manky as well. I was told its an easy job to drop the tank on the mk2 if you want to clean it out and then clean/replace the lines. People also fit mk3 tanks, something to do with going from 2 pumps to 1 being better... Might be worth looking into if you are going to drop the tank

Had an itch i needed to scratch for a while now and went to test drive this earlier

20130103_151026_zps590a8dce.jpg

here it is after the drive outside the showroom they do look good

20130103_155004_zpsdff599d9.jpg

20130103_154954_zps6eb89d11.jpg

20130103_155011_zps2fcd2abb.jpg

So as im a scooby man i asked to take this out.. Rb320

20130103_151639_zpsdad1b6e7.jpg

20130103_151649_zps579d8446.jpg

Instead took this new arrival out with the same engine ( sti ppp 320bhp )not an rb but 30k less miles and 5k cheaper

20130103_155837_zps46fca19a.jpg

20130103_155853_zpsc5acd24b.jpg

Verdict - as much as i wanted to like the rs i left a little dissapointed, now that might be because im accustomed to 4 wheel drive grip and lots of power but even in a straight line doing 30 second gear would scrabble for traction and foot down in third there was a lot of torque steer and you just couldnt apply the power. Now dont get me wrong it sounds brilliant, build quality is nice and looks stunning but would i want to pay 4k more than the rb 320 or 9k more than the 2.5 sti ppp which frankly would wipe the floor with the rs in any given situation.

Still cant decide what to go for yet and need to sleep on it but as much as i hate to say it i think the rs would dissapoint me especially as it rains 50% of the time.. Opinions?

Cheers for the help prawn and robin, I really appreciate it!

I'll have a fiddle around the tank and the carb see what i can find tomorrow and report back. One thing to note is yesterday i filled the tank up completely for the first time. Could possibly be a vacuum being created?(Just thought that might be worth pointing out.)

As for the heater i think the resistor is in the motor unit so likely that this second hand motor unit isn't 100% working.

A great day indeed :)

Prawn and Pierre came over, and we went out for a spin in all our A3's.

DSC_0770_zpsde788a1d.jpg

DSC_0768_zps72d057c4.jpg

My TT pedals turned up this morning -

DSC_0764_zpsa6530cdc.jpg

DSC_0763_zpsa71b9002.jpg

Prawns car sprang a substantial leak.

DSC_0738_zpsbb88be3d.jpg

DSC_0761_zps167321ae.jpg

DSC_0760_zps0171f5c6.jpg

DSC_0758_zpsbb1a5dbf.jpg

DSC_0755_zpsf3074918.jpg

DSC_0753_zpsb9969bfd.jpg

DSC_0752_zps24c0944d.jpg

DSC_0751_zps53792371.jpg

DSC_0749_zps0f3443bf.jpg

542176_10151585776275130_862644957_n.jpg

Pierres car looks filthy...

DSC_0748_zps78e505fb.jpg

Prawn showing the three different colors of his car haha!

DSC_0747_zps056a3694.jpg

DSC_0743_zpse937f7e2.jpg

DSC_0741_zps5c964f19.jpg

We went for a nice drive and I am pleased to report the A3 holds it own, unfortunately the conditions did not suit Prawn and we had a very interesting battle of power vs traction on one of the best roads in Devon.

Pierre and I at the lights; I'm ahead and they haven't even gone green ;)

165003_10152002928401777_1419817533_n.jp

Played about with launch control on Pierres car, until Prawn got shot in the leg -

And my car is booked in for stage 2 with launch control on the 27th of January. :)

And this deserves a post all of its own.

Pierre/Frenchman on here; such a twat.

*why the f**k aren't youtube embeds working? Edited by Pashley26

If anyone's bored then this thread contains a lot of awesome driving: Car control videos thread on Retro Rides (A day sat around inside from man-flu has made me a very bored person)

Jardo, Audi's are still looking like A3's, so that's good stuff I guess :P Why's Nicks decided to empty it's sump? Nothing too hard to sort I hope. Still need to sort that dip-stick tube on the 'rocco so that leaves a single droplet every now and then.

Had an itch i needed to scratch for a while now and went to test drive this earlier

20130103_151026_zps590a8dce.jpg

here it is after the drive outside the showroom they do look good

20130103_155004_zpsdff599d9.jpg

20130103_154954_zps6eb89d11.jpg

20130103_155011_zps2fcd2abb.jpg

So as im a scooby man i asked to take this out.. Rb320

20130103_151639_zpsdad1b6e7.jpg

20130103_151649_zps579d8446.jpg

Instead took this new arrival out with the same engine ( sti ppp 320bhp )not an rb but 30k less miles and 5k cheaper

20130103_155837_zps46fca19a.jpg

20130103_155853_zpsc5acd24b.jpg

Verdict - as much as i wanted to like the rs i left a little dissapointed, now that might be because im accustomed to 4 wheel drive grip and lots of power but even in a straight line doing 30 second gear would scrabble for traction and foot down in third there was a lot of torque steer and you just couldnt apply the power. Now dont get me wrong it sounds brilliant, build quality is nice and looks stunning but would i want to pay 4k more than the rb 320 or 9k more than the 2.5 sti ppp which frankly would wipe the floor with the rs in any given situation.

Still cant decide what to go for yet and need to sleep on it but as much as i hate to say it i think the rs would dissapoint me especially as it rains 50% of the time.. Opinions?

Get the 2.5 sti Ppp. Cheaper to insure, cheaper to fix and probably handles a lot better. Plus it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb and attract unwanted attention from police and chavs. How can I put it, the focus has a little bit too much shell suit for my liking

Edited by bing

Get the 2.5 sti Ppp. Cheaper to insure, cheaper to fix and probably handles a lot better. Plus it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb and attract unwanted attention from police and chavs. How can I put it, the focus has a little bit too much shell suit for my liking

Sorry i had to laugh at this, so much wrong in one line! Going to sleep on it and see what happens..

Sorry i had to laugh at this, so much wrong in one line! Going to sleep on it and see what happens..
Am not a fan of the focus, sorry dude. Maybe a few wrong facts there :) I would have the scooby if it were my money

No contest for me. The subaru's only 27kg heavier, despite having 4wd and a couple more horsepower, it's cheaper and you think it handles better. Why's the ford even in the equation :P

Personally, looks wise I'm not a fan of either. The 'wing' and 'diffuser' on the Focus just look tacky, and the pair of wings on the Impreza are a little OTT in my eyes. Toned down both are quite nice looking cars though. Loose the roof spoiler and replace the comedy sized wing on the boot with a smaller one and the Impreza would be a nice looking car. Loose the diffuser and wing on the focus and it'd look nicer, but then it'd just look like any other boring focus.

• Like 1

It sounds to me like you've made up your mind already. The way I see it is that you want to enjoy the Focus but you don't enjoy it. This can be a problem because it could get you stuck with a car you'll hope to get along with but in the long run, you'll just get mildly frustrated and wonder what could have been if you chose something else. If I were you, I'd probably go for the RB Subaru.

Edited by Greetings

Nice car, feel free to lavish this thread in pics of it.

Did'nt really have chance to have a look at the golf today, was fine when i drove it this morning. Set off this afternoon again going uphill it cut out. Couldn't get it going. Rolled back down the hill to my road which is flat and it fired up fine. Drove fine, shortly later after a hill it happened again and struggled to get it going. Pulled up, looked under the bonnet and found the hot air intake for the airbox not connected correctly. Put it back on and it was fine after that. (Last time I was under the bonnet it was connected I am pretty sure)

Surely it can't be just the carb icing up, it's never that simple :w00t: