The Car Thread

MadManMike

I'm aware of the mechanical implications of more power, i'm not 1 of these chavvy muppets who'd map it to eyeballs and then wonder why the side of block suddenly has an extra cooling hole courtesy of a lean pot and the rod making itself known.

Putting the hrs in doesn't scare me either, and all mods would be considered thoroughly/massively overthought for days.

Paying for it will be the challenge i'm sure, but it's the same with the bikes, and I seem to muddle through somehow.

A reliable source of income would pretty much cure that though, but that's a myth as far as i'm concerned at mo :mellow:

Oh BTW is this like the one you mean?

Yeah that's the one. I did 20k in the year of owning mine and had no problems.

I do not particularly want a Skoda, least of all a diesel estate skoda, but when using search filters like 'Insurance group 10 and under' (all i've got as a guide unless I spam my inbox with comparison site nonsense) and 'price less than £2,500' a fabia becomes the best option amongst shite like 3pot corsas.

does anybody really WANT a skoda before they've actually got one? :P

pretty sure my fabia vrs is less than group 10, and I think they go for around £2500 now, maybe worth a look. It has it's niggles but its fun to drive, pretty quick and reliable.

only problem when I got it (after I wrote off the previous car) was getting insurance - they said it was a 'high risk' car and even though it was in a low group, they still wouldn't insure me.

• Like 1

Would have needed money spending on it to get it running right dude, hence Craig (craigjames on here) is breaking it for parts

(Which reminds me, I should really grab the seats out of it asap so he can get doors etc shifted - will chat to you about it at the Life Centre tomorrow, Craig!)

I am indeed, a fair chunk of it has gone or has deposits on bigger lumps awaiting collection :)

If you had turned up then you could have spoken to me about it! Tell me exactly what you want and i'll strip it out this weekend and see if it'll fit in the A3.

• Like 1

I am indeed, a fair chunk of it has gone or has deposits on bigger lumps awaiting collection :)

If you had turned up then you could have spoken to me about it! Tell me exactly what you want and i'll strip it out this weekend and see if it'll fit in the A3.

Sorry dude, grandfather was in for a brain scan which went long unfortunately. Should have dropped you another message, apologies. Going to head up to LC in a couple of hours and pick up a month's pass, may run into you/random other trials folk there!

Was more just thinking could get the seats out of your way so you don't need to worry too much about any interior getting wet etc really (Y)

I'd go for a Skoda Favorit - style, reliability and practicality.

I had the next one, the Felicia. It was just a "field car" so I ragged it around some private tracks whilst I lived in the Highlands and it held up really good. Not much on them to go wrong!

I've not said much in here for a while, purchased the mx5 in September with the idea of only having it a month. Now it's january and it's still here! Been pretty trouble free, touch wood, and it has been a hell of a lot of fun in the snow! Only problem is the mpg and the leaking window seals but have been pleasantly surprised with it.

Here's a crude shot I took experimenting with several things, not my best!

10866018_10152844535632935_1366477245650

• Like 3

Nah the only things I'm likely to do to it are stick a new rear shock on for the next MOT (which is in December so no rush!), maybe put some standard alloys on if I see any cheap enough on eBay and most likely stick a decent headunit in it and replace the standard speakers! And swap the interior for a T Sport one as well as the steering wheel for something in leather maybe.....

Right hand side of the rear seat in the Leon hasn't clipped into place properly since I've had it. Was expecting to have to remove/adjust the latch in some way but turns out it was just bent. Quick tweak and it's good to go.

20150121_130217_zpsb48f74a3.jpg

Also, it turns out that although an S2000 filter will almost fit in the lower half of a 1.8t airbox, it's not actually going to happen. It's even more of a physical impossibility in the top half, which unfortunately is where it needs to sit in order to meet the MAF properly.

20150119_125304_zpsf8bb31a0.jpg

Still, when did a little thing like physics cause a lasting problem? Small slot in each side and it works:

20150119_154739_zps433966bc.jpg

I plan on modifying things a tad further at a later date to hide it a smidge better, but for now it looks decent enough (certainly better than the previous CAI!)

20150121_160939_zps7168bd33.jpg

Starting to look a little more OEM, especially with the tints gone. Phew!

• Like 3

Nice job Luke.

Also- just realised Caddy has mot until end of Feb. Do I tax and insure? She's reliable as anything, I almost don't want to spend the money and carry on cycling to work but god it is cold and I've luckily not ridden in the rain.... Yet! :(

Also, it turns out that although an S2000 filter will almost fit in the lower half of a 1.8t airbox, it's not actually going to happen. It's even more of a physical impossibility in the top half, which unfortunately is where it needs to sit in order to meet the MAF properly.

20150119_125304_zpsf8bb31a0.jpg

took your time ;)

ha ha, in all seriousness, looks pretty sweet!

Got the day off tomorrow, so might see about a s2000 filter and see if i can pick up an airbox from scrappy.

in other good news, managed to pick up a full ally side mount on ebay dirt cheap, look forward to fitting it tomorrow

post-36867-0-96446800-1421875429_thumb.j

• Like 1