The Car Thread

MadManMike

All car are different. you drive them accordingly.

The golf gets going much earlier, and stops giving sooner. The civic gets going later and keeps on giving. Both will feel great to drive to their owners, and if they swapped cars they'd both probably feel shit for the first 5 minutes until you got used to the new required style.

What you really need is a turbo like mine :lol: Full boost at 2600rpm and still holding it at 7600 :lol: That's a mega rarity though!

Liam - what boost in the civic? makes more torque than most I've seen for similar power suggesting more boost. Smallish TD05? 16g?

All car are different. you drive them accordingly.

The golf gets going much earlier, and stops giving sooner. The civic gets going later and keeps on giving. Both will feel great to drive to their owners, and if they swapped cars they'd both probably feel shit for the first 5 minutes until you got used to the new required style.

What you really need is a turbo like mine :lol: Full boost at 2600rpm and still holding it at 7600 :lol: That's a mega rarity though!

Liam - what boost in the civic? makes more torque than most I've seen for similar power suggesting more boost. Smallish TD05? 16g?

Yeh it's a 16g I think, only 12psi of boost. It's a stock block too. I gained a bit more torque by having adjustable cam pullys.

Ah cool stuff. Torque is definitely up on most ~300bhp VTEC turbo's I've seen in the past.

They seem to make SUCH good power from low boost, that most are around 7psi or something daft for 300bhp, so end up down at 220-230lbft.

That must be lovely to drive once it's on song :)

Ah cool stuff. Torque is definitely up on most ~300bhp VTEC turbo's I've seen in the past.

They seem to make SUCH good power from low boost, that most are around 7psi or something daft for 300bhp, so end up down at 220-230lbft.

That must be lovely to drive once it's on song :)

To be honest, I haven't had a proper chance to give it the full beans. The build was completed at the back end of November so the roads were just dam/wet/cold/shit 100% of the time.

Then after 2500 miles my stage 2 clutch shit its arse out so it's been sat since February broken.

I'm dangerously close to doing the same, though should really should keep the funds for the house...

Looking at a Relentless Pro4 manifold at the mo. An extra £20 for ceramic coated seems to be the way to go, but is this likely to result in the block and/or turbo suffering from the extra heat? Assuming it should be ok.

Would love to throw in a BBT K418T while I'm at it but can't take any more out of the deposit fund :P

I just spent a grand on bits my car. Cant wait for toys to arrive!

EDIT: Don't tell the missus lol

What did you go for dude?

:lol:

To be honest, I still haven't pulled my finger out and sorted the FMIC so that needs to get fitted first. The ceramic Pro4 is just trying to make me spend money I shouldn't. Perhaps I should wait until I have a hybrid to drop in and do it all at once down the line :P

Yeah, creating more work for myself isn't overly appealing.

In "actually doing something to the car rather than just hypothesising about it" news: I finally got round to sorting out my wiper situation - now having the correct number fitted to the Leon after a week or so without. Fortunately the weather was decent enough that I felt ok running just the driver's side for the single journey I had to make, pinching Soph's Golf for any other running about instead!

Is it just me that thinks if you want a fast car, start with something fast in the first place, not a shitbox that needs £££ throwing at it all the time. Can't see the point

Edited by bing

How do you define fast?

How do you define shitbox?

My car, plus everything I've done to it comes to a total of £1750. As with the discussion a day or so ago, most of us that post in here don't need to throw any money at them, but choose to as a hobby.

Ash - let me know how you get on with the Pro4!

I very much like the idea of making mincemeat of more expensive cars, or having a "sleeper".

A lot of people just like tinkering, and then they get attached to the car so they just keep on tinkering with it...

My next project will cost me a lot in modifications and might not be particularly fast afterwards, but it will thoroughly amuse me. That's the main thing.

Is it just me that thinks if you want a fast car, start with something fast in the first place, not a shitbox that needs £££ throwing at it all the time. Can't see the point

Because LCR is a bargain and the mods will be worth it?

Find me something faster than my Golf for £4000.

By faster I mean >290bh/ton.

Same could be said about any engine tuning, take my rotax 604 powered ccm for example, stock it produces 42bhp and is very underwhelming. Mine has had most mods thrown at it and is now pushing around 60 ponies and will see most of the cars in this thread off up to 70mph :) Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

what a f**king day ive had!

had to work outside the pisser, because the tree kept me sheltered.

post-36867-0-80936000-1430507290_thumb.j

The reason why the old exhaust sounded like a tractor:

post-36867-0-93457700-1430507336_thumb.j

The current state of the interior of my car:

post-36867-0-33800500-1430507307_thumb.j

What a supprise, the new exhuast doesnt fit:

post-36867-0-48009400-1430507319_thumb.j

Managed to get the gear cables through the bulkhead though, just need to mount the shifter and get some bungs for the holes:

post-36867-0-44957100-1430507370_thumb.j

And heres a picture of some step drill bits, because i remember someone on here loves them :P

post-36867-0-88976000-1430507352_thumb.j

• Like 1

Find me something faster than my Golf for £4000.

By faster I mean >290bh/ton.

You're fighting a losing battle. He thinks both the North and lager are good things.

Good on you for those results. Your roof is still shit though.

• Like 1

You're fighting a losing battle. He thinks both the North and lager are good things.

Good on you for those results. Your roof is still shit though.

You make me chuckle JD. The north and lager are good things, unless you can get me something better down south Edited by bing

I very much like the idea of making mincemeat of more expensive cars, or having a "sleeper".

A lot of people just like tinkering, and then they get attached to the car so they just keep on tinkering with it...

Exactly this. If I bought a car that was already fast then what would I do with it? Sit there feeling good about my wise purchase then realize I'm bored now my hobby consists of doing nothing but sitting around feeling smug?

Id rather buy something interesting and put a little effort into making it even more interesting and unique. Yeah it's not the most finantially sensible way to spend your time, but then most things worth doing in life aren't. Plus you tend to learn a hell of a lot along the way, and I love learning.