The Car Thread

MadManMike

I did warn you guys to look away though if you're not a fan of such 'scene'......

No you said look away if you don't like stance, I love stance! That looks like a teenage lad has borrowed his mum's car, put some massive spacers on it, took the wheel trims off and stuck stickers to it, disaster!

Family wagon + steelies + stickers ≠ stance

Edited by Jolfa

Hopefully getting myself a dirt cheap/free ek2 1.3 Civic (I think its a ek2, thats what Ive been told) to play with as a project over this year.
Been passed down through my cousins for years, and its finally my turn! It needs a shit load doing to it, so Im going to make it my own and mod it as I go along.

Cant afford the insurance yet (first time driver to be), so Im planning to work on it over this year/next as and when I can afford it while I drive something I can afford and await the day I get a good quote on the civic.

No you said look away if you don't like stance, I love stance! That looks like a teenage lad has borrowed his mum's car, put some massive spacers on it, took the wheel trims off and stuck stickers to it, disaster!

Family wagon + steelies + stickers ≠ stance

You've pretty much described what happened to it! Haha ;)

Mine's okay though, right? :unsure:

Booking them well in advance is always cheaper, is for me at Cadwell.

Equally, turning up on the day, half an hour late usually gets a fair chunk of money off. You do, however, run the risk of a wasted journey if the track day is full though. I live right by Snetterton, and havent booked a track day for years.

Well, I'm home, slept, and back to work / reality now.

400 motorway miles, 250 miles on track, £300 on shell V-power and an overall average of 14mpg over the 650 miles, and I've had one of the best weekends I can remember in a long time.

Yesterday was simply epic for me, with the car being new in almost every way it was still a steep learning curve, and my first few sessions were a bit messy as George will confirm. Mid morning our very own Mr. Tart jumped in for a few laps, which turned out to be a fairly lengthy 20 minute session only ended by running out of meth!

Adam is unhuman, I've suspected it for around 12 years now, but yesterday confirmed it for me 100%.

For a man who did his first experience day not much more than 2 years ago, and wasn't even 'really' into cars at the time, the way he's taken to this whole track driving lark is crazy.

A few laps of tuition from the super brain and I was going MUCH faster, much smoother,, and much more enjoyable too. From there on out it only got better over the day, early lap times in the first few sessions were 1:27-1:29's generally, and later lap times in the afternoon were consistently 1:25's with a few more clear ones 1:24 and 1:23 as confidence grew.

Tyre temperature was a big issue during the day for everyone, as it was SOOOOOO bloody cold all day, track temperature couldn't have been much above 0 at all, and where previously I've seen tyre temps of 60* + on returning from a cool down lap, yesterday they were reaching 30 tops, so the track was keeping the tyres cold. Still, the federal RS-R's coped very well indeed, and the bloody things are STILL not dead, having now covered a silly 9 trackdays and 8000 road miles. I reckon they've got another day in them at least!

Was great to have George there too, I took George out for some messy laps early in the morning, and then again for a pretty beasty session near the end of the day, so hopefully he was able to notice the difference. Niki from R-tech also popped in so I was able to take him out for a few laps which I think he enjoyed.

Massive thanks to Adam as well, he took me out for a few laps in the MX5, and I can finally say I get it. Years of hairdresser bashing, I've always known they must be good, but never been in one before. From a few laps with Adam it's pretty clear why he's been collecting trophies in his first season, absolute 100% utilisation of the car and track, seriously commited. MX5's just gained a LOT of respect, although the way Adam was passing all the other MX5's suggested there's a big wedge of talent involved too!

I even got to drive the wee blue beasty, my first outing on a tarmac track in a RWD car (done grass track in rwd years back). I absolutely loved it although I was being cautious so probably a few seconds off Adams pace, I have to say I was most surprised though to be passing a few other mx5's, and Claire and I laughed our heads off as we caught and passed a white Evo 10 in a 23 year old 100bhp mx5, sheer comedy moment!

I did get a little carried away and managed to spin the mx5 it fairly spectacularly on the exit of Redgate, but managed to keep the wheels turning to avoid flat spotting Adams tyres and casually backed it into the infield pretending I'd meant to do it whilst Claire sat there laughing at me :lol: Thanks for the drive Ads, real eye opener!

Enough rambling from me anyway.

TLDR: here's a video of me trying to go fast

http://youtu.be/xiRjW0VDuAg

Hopefully getting myself a dirt cheap/free ek2 1.3 Civic (I think its a ek2, thats what Ive been told) to play with as a project over this year.

Been passed down through my cousins for years, and its finally my turn! It needs a shit load doing to it, so Im going to make it my own and mod it as I go along.

Cant afford the insurance yet (first time driver to be), so Im planning to work on it over this year/next as and when I can afford it while I drive something I can afford and await the day I get a good quote on the civic.

Sam I'm your civic man, they didn't do a 1.3 Ek shape civic.

If its defiantly a 1.3 it will be an EG shape.

I don't want to put myself through the torture of knowing I can't buy it. There's a local garage round here that has 2 manual 1.3's (white and red) that they use as hire cars when they've got something in for repair, I went round a few years ago and offered the owner £700 cash on the spot to drive one away and he refused saying they're the best cars he's ever had in and customers love them so he couldn't possibly. Never had the spare cash for one since :'(

Anybody know a way of confirming a cv joint is on its way out? I'm fairly sure mine is as it knocks on turning but want confirmation and want to know which one it is before splashing some cash.

What sort of price so you guys pay on average at a track day? Is there loopholes or ways of getting them on the cheap?

Generally they knock worse in reverse. Find yourself an empty car park, full lock and swing it in reverse.

You can get away with simply taking the cv boot off (if its not sealed) and slapping aload more grease in it. that should quiten it down and help you find which one it is.

Jack front end up and spin the wheel? That's what my local place did when I thought mine was on the way out, turned out to be the wheel bearing which had basically disintegrated. And the rim was cracked as well. I love my car fucking piece of shit wanky ford bollocks

• Like 1

Well my new daily driver which I bought for £300 with no T&T is now officially dead.

Stupid I know to buy it in the first place, but i though I could turn it into a little gem for peanuts.

After throwing a load of money at it to make it mot'ble I've just given up on it, it's going for scrap.

Car: £300

New rear calliper: £65

New tyre: £50

Rear axle: £40

Fitting of axle: £50

Scrapped price, £100.

Great.

I hate French cars. Utter shite they are.

Well my new daily driver which I bought for £300 with no T&T is now officially dead.

Stupid I know to buy it in the first place, but i though I could turn it into a little gem for peanuts.

You mug, who spends nearly as much as the car costs trying to MOT it? :lol:

Had a little photo shoot the other weekend these were the pics before the camera ran out, im not too fussed about mine getting missed just yet!

post-24017-0-99404100-1361804933_thumb.j

post-24017-0-68322400-1361804930_thumb.j

post-24017-0-06539400-1361804931_thumb.j

post-24017-0-35776200-1361804931_thumb.j

post-24017-0-71680500-1361804931_thumb.j

post-24017-0-97598500-1361804931_thumb.j

post-24017-0-31897300-1361804932_thumb.j

post-24017-0-64668600-1361804932_thumb.j

post-24017-0-17194500-1361804933_thumb.j

Bora is on air front and rear, rotiforms blahhh
6N2 is static just waiting for smaller tires and his plates to show up (J9 DOG)
Polo is just clean really, and bought for £100 off an old women done 15k and was stores in her garage from new
My dirty pile

Bigger photoshoot this weekend with some more cars.

Edited by TROYston

Prawn those pics are mint, I like the fact they are the bad side. Makes the car look more like it is built for a purpose to go fast rather someone that worries if a fly has smeared on their bonnet.

I reversed the car with lock on and it didn't seem to do anything, or very little. It knocks going round corners at slow to medium speed. I'm fairly sure it is coming from the near side, when I had it jacked up the other day I span the wheels on both locks but couldn't notice anything, but I would have thought it would need to be under load?

Anybody know anything about putting a tow bar on a mk2 golf? I believe there is somewhere behind the bumper for them to bolt on and then tap into the wiring in the car? It's only got to carry a ~60kg bike and rack :)

Cheers dude, I like the pics, gives me something to look back at :)

I seem to recall when Oli fitted a tow bar to his mk2 all those years ago, that it replaced the metal bar inside the rear bumper on a small bumper golf.

His tow bar bolted up to the standard bumper mounts or something like that, and the bumper was bolted to the back of the tow bar to retain the standard location. Seemed fairly simple at the time, and was used to tow cars around on the trailer!