The Car Thread

MadManMike

There's a local lad who's pretty much lifted the shell off an mx5 and plonked a pop shell ontop, running gear, brakes, aircon t lot. Next time I talk to him I'll get a few pictures. It's really good.

Or the other side of the spectrum, the another guy who's plonked a s14 engine(sr20det???) running at 'stage3' in one with an estimated 400ish bhp. It's f**king bezerk.

• Like 1

Robin, they are gas charged. I'm pretty certain that the only potential problem he could encounter is that the mounts/bolt tubes (or whatever they're called) may need to be cut down to fit a 240. So with a little work, I think they'd be fine.

I really wish I could rebuild them myself, but I don't have the slightest clue what might be wrong with these ones. They basically provide very little damping at the moment.

Edited by Pete.M

Sr20 ford pop sounds nuts!

Basically Phil and I are bored of A3's, both of ours are up for sale and we want a proper project to sink our teeth into over the summer.

Phil has suggested he put me on his trade insurance and I use the money from the Audi to buy and sell classic/radical cars from half of the parking spaces outside of his unit. Which would make me very happy and basically be a piece of piss for me.

My idea was that I blow it all on the Pop, which he also likes.

His idea was that I buy a Mk2 and a 1.8t and he does the swap, then we sell it for a monster profit. Then follow that up with a 1.8t Mk3 and wash rinse and repeat doing engine conversions into VAG cars and then marketing them. But the problem there is the legality of the log books, mots and all that shit.

Basically, we just want to get busy.

• Like 1

This -

23k2rtv_zpse0f794fd.jpg

I have had it since I was 11.

It is very easy nd very popular to make them like this -

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gPGj8bMufUc

Literally s simple as buying a Sierra, swapping the engine mounts, drilling three holes in the strut tower, swapping the legs and hubs with the brakes in tact, swapping the back axel for a Ford Anglia one and taking half a foot out of the prop.

People have done the whole conversion from 11bhp side valve to 150bhp OHC power in a day.

• Like 2

Deal is done on my A3, picking it up whenever the new owners insurance pays out.

I spoke to my dad about the Pop and he isn't ready to let it go just yet, he wants to keep it until his Magnette is done which is fine by me. I would rather my pride and joy was safely in his care than being hacked up by Phil and I.

So the hunt is on, although I am in no rush at all.

Currently I am enjoying the thought of a Dolomite Sprint, I love them.

Edited by Pashley26

What 'lovely new bits' are you adding? I'll be taking my B16 out reasonably soon.

Whatever tickles my fancy really. I'm newishh to this so I'm being aided through a mate who knows whats good and whats to avoid.

I like the look of alot of the Skunk2 kit, and read some good reviews too.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Can't remember off the top of my head, nearly 4 I think. What sort of mileage is your 'rocco on for the rack to be that shagged? Might have to check mine out sometime, a little sharper steering would be awesome, I've been tempted by a quick rack, but I'm still in 2 minds with bigger plans before I go any further, a new standard rack's only £40 (link, handy shop if you didn't know about them)

Ah, God knows what mileage mine's on, but my best guess for a while has been 'probably quite a bit more than 170k'. (Odometer seized up ages ago.) My column gaiter's been spit for years too, but nothing looked terrible when I last had the engine out. Still might pull it out sometime for a look anyway, I want to swap the mounting bushes over to some stiffer ones I've got.

Probably be worth checking. This one was that bad the steering wheel jumped and skipped in your hands as you turned the wheel. The front wheels just used to sort of click and twitch rather than steer.

Also while I'm here. Will the mk2 16v basic spark control unit/ecu thing run an ABF engine? I've settled on a weber'd ABF for the 'rocco and I'm looking for a simple method of finding a spark. Unless the ABF ecu is suitable though I've always thought they where a little more advanced than the mk2 stuff..

Yeah I'll take a peak sometime. Can't say mines anywhere near that bad though, it actually feels fairly good other than the badly needing a quicker ratio rack, still I'm sure renewing a few of the 'solid' joints would probably help things out. (All the bushes are new quite hard poly ones since the engine swap.)

I'm sure Jolfa will know much more than me about it, but yeah, I'm pretty sure you can fit all the ignition system from a k-jet KR onto the ABF. The ABF ECU wouldn't be any use for running bike carbs as it takes the load signal from a MAF, which you won't want.

Whatever tickles my fancy really. I'm newishh to this so I'm being aided through a mate who knows whats good and whats to avoid.

I like the look of alot of the Skunk2 kit, and read some good reviews too.

So a induction kit and 4" backbox then yea?

• Like 1

So a induction kit and 4" backbox then yea?

Nah.

I dont want to make it sound stupidly loud like most do. I'd like to build it with parts that help aid performance.

It's only a fun thing really, I enjoy stripping things down and rebuilding them, and making them work.

Accident happened on 27th February. I spoke to the personal injury company yesterday about how my claim is progressing. The other driver has still not admitted liability for the accident however his insurance company have requested my accident and medical reports. I'm still owed my excess (£500 :( ) have spent about £400 on physio and was without a car for nearly 3 months. Because the other vehicle was foreign apparently I might have to wait another 4 months for the claim to be settled!
I tried and failed to fix my door handle, I still can't open the drivers door from the inside because of the shitty door release cable. I spent about 2 hours the other weekend replacing the snapped cable and then later in the day it broke again. I'm hoping it just unclipped at the top because I don't fancy stripping the whole door again.
I miss my Cupra, my Passat Estate is awesome because it's practical and cheap to run but oh my god it's boring :P