The Car Thread

MadManMike

I'd imagine the air rushing over the windscreen then along the roof would be intercepted by the wing and all its mountings resulting in drag, wereas on the boot it flows along the roof line then into the wing, minimal drag as the screen has done all the hardwork.

Robin and Dave are the men for this....

The purpose of most spoilers isn't to provide downforce as such, generally speaking they aid the airflow over the vehicle and create less turbulence over the sharp rear end of the car.

I take no credit for these words -

Sports cars are most commonly seen with front and rear spoilers. Even though these vehicles typically have a more rigid chassis and a stiffer suspension to aid in high speed maneuverability, a spoiler can still be beneficial. This is because many vehicles have a fairly steep downward angle going from the rear edge of the roof down to the trunk or tail of the car which may cause air flow separation. The flow of air becomes turbulent and a low-pressure zone is created, increasing drag and instability (see Bernoulli effect). Adding a rear spoiler could be considered to make the air "see" a longer, gentler slope from the roof to the spoiler, which helps to delay flow separation and the higher pressure in front of the spoiler can help reduce the lift on the car by creating downforce. This may reduce drag in certain instances and will generally increase high speed stability due to the reduced rear lift.

-

In a racing application to provide more downforce a spoiler in the middle of the car would cause airflow which stopped the rear spoiler from being active. Because the air would pass over it. A rear spoiler adds downforce to the rear of the car adding an aerodynamic grip advantage. Having a more central downforce isn't as much of a benefit as rear downforce.

Edited by Pashley26

Any honda fans here?

I'm starting a project on a '99 3 door Civic shortly, and I'm slowly gathering parts...

I'm planning an engine swap at some point to replace the D series engine that comes as standard. Not immediately but I've a few different options. I'm almost 100% settled on a B16a2/b, or a B18c4 if one comes about for the right money...

OR

To save a little money and hold off a swap for a little longer while, apparently the D14's can be run with a D16z4 VTEC head. Not necessarily for a huge increase in out and out power, but just to give it a bit of a kick and and be a little more fun. Worth it while I get together a B series?

I will be swapping to a B series at some point, but its a case of which one, and when I'm able to.

I'm new to all this, and would benefit from some additional knowledge to what Ive been told by a few already.

Mike - I'm a little late but I'll reply anyway.
Each time you got the alignment done, did they have a way to check the rear toe? I know they're fixed/not adjustable, but that doesn't mean that they're pointing the correct way all the time. As the bushes etc wear down it moves the alignment. Obviously if it's a great deal out, you'd replace the bushes.
If they just looked at the front toe, then it could explain why it's still out. If the rear toe is out, you need to adjust the front toe to compensate for it.
We have a Hunter Hawkeye Elite machine at work (top spec fancy equipment ;) ) and it measures rear toe, camber, front toe, camber, caster. If the rear toe is out but not adjustable, it then compensates for that when you adjust the rear so you can get the vehicle to drive straight.

But yeah, a sticky caliper is quite likely too!

Does anyone have any tips for teaching someone how to drive? I'veinsured my girlfriend on my car to give her some practice before she starts properly learning. Obviously not in an instructor fashion but just to get her used to the car before having lessons as it should save alot of time and money if you go into lessons with a bit of knowledge . I've taught her clutch control, she's managed to get into second gear, we've done some turning of the wheel and stuff in a large industrial park. Things like that. This was just yesterday in 2 hours. Not really sure what to explain next that won't conflict with what's bring taught on lessons?

Indicating, mirrors? Stuff like that?

Hate to piss on your chips man, but have you checked insurance quotes on any of those conversions? Seem to remember you're only 17 or so?

Its not an immediate swap...

Im getting a stock EK for pittance, and making a long term project of it.

I have thought this all out... I dont have the time or money to dedicate all my effort into it and complete it in a year and expect to drive it.

When the time comes for the swap it could be years down the line.

I've got the option to grab both those engines relatively cheaply in the near future, so I was weighing up my options and seeing what others had to say.

Mike - I'm a little late but I'll reply anyway.

Each time you got the alignment done, did they have a way to check the rear toe? I know they're fixed/not adjustable, but that doesn't mean that they're pointing the correct way all the time. As the bushes etc wear down it moves the alignment. Obviously if it's a great deal out, you'd replace the bushes.

If they just looked at the front toe, then it could explain why it's still out. If the rear toe is out, you need to adjust the front toe to compensate for it.

We have a Hunter Hawkeye Elite machine at work (top spec fancy equipment ;) ) and it measures rear toe, camber, front toe, camber, caster. If the rear toe is out but not adjustable, it then compensates for that when you adjust the rear so you can get the vehicle to drive straight.

But yeah, a sticky caliper is quite likely too!

I don't know to be honest, it's been a case of them doing it and me standing around using my phone - never really get that involved :)

I'm gonna get it looked over properly once the new wheels turn up and I get the ride height a little more practical.

Cheers for the tips and cheers to everyone else for their input too, I'll report back soon!

Its not an immediate swap...

Im getting a stock EK for pittance, and making a long term project of it.

I have thought this all out... I dont have the time or money to dedicate all my effort into it and complete it in a year and expect to drive it.

When the time comes for the swap it could be years down the line.

I've got the option to grab both those engines relatively cheaply in the near future, so I was weighing up my options and seeing what others had to say.

Fair enough, just speaking from experience it's well worth finding out if it's viable first - I spent 3 years building my landy and throwing a great big turbo diesel in it, then found out only one insurer would even consider covering me.

Fair enough, just speaking from experience it's well worth finding out if it's viable first - I spent 3 years building my landy and throwing a great big turbo diesel in it, then found out only one insurer would even consider covering me.

Yeah of course, I knew from the outset insuring it with a B series was no goer from the start at my age with the experience I have.

Haha! I guess I'm just a youth being a youth. It goes a little better, sounds good (imo, I know some despise them) and will be a fun thing to add bits to down the line.
It's not meant to be blisteringly fast, nor claim the highest torque readings, just a fun project and hopefully some fun when its done too.
Stance...

I suppose Im only taking this route because I can get started fairly cheaply with concern to the more costly bits of the build.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Evvvvvvvveryone will LOL. But if you honestly want everything you have said above; buy an A3 1.8t. In my experience with them, and Prawns, and Seamons and many others on this forum the Mk4 VAG chassis and 1.8t engine is an excellent introduction into modern real world tuning.

Cheap to insure for a new driver, super cheap to modify and performance to price immeasurably better than any NA engine. Also vry cheap to buy.

• Like 1

I'd give your M5 a good run for its money :P

Probably, but he's never wittered on about his being be best/fastest/gods gift, so wouldn't look like a douche or particularly care if he lost ;):P

My only real gripe with VTEC owners is their insistence to fit ridiculously gash exhausts. Why? If it's over 100 odd db, then it's too loud to go on track, and if it's not on track, you're not going to ever notice the 2bhp you've lost by having a silly silencer (or lack there of). I know my car's not exactly quiet, but it's no where near the volume of most Civics I see, and I still get a little sick of it, and feel embarrassed in town, I just can't understand the need to make so much noise. Other than that, I don't really want to own any post ~1985 hondas, but I can appreciate that they're pretty good cars.

One of my favorite Honda's at the moment (only thankfully he's now ditched the banded steels):

58729_3807745400725_2021738125_n.jpg

557008_236302746496426_576582558_n.jpg

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 1

I know which I'd rather have though...

I very much enjoyed my trip to R-Tech on Saturday with my friend. He came away with 230bhp and 277ftlbs...slightly lower figures than hoped, but it still goes very well considering. Launch control was mapped in for free on stage 2 too, which was a welcome bonus. He is now on the verge of needing a new clutch though, haha.

My rod package order has now been confirmed, and should be sent out on Monday. Think I'm going to buy a second engine, and build it all out of the car. My clutch started slipping again today. I went to put my foot on the clutch, and it wouldn't return unless i pulled it up. After a few pumps it was fine again...and still is; so I'm guessing the slave cylinder is screwed or something and is squirting onto the clutch. Seems odd how it only does it every now and then, there is literally no consistency to it whatsoever. Brake and clutch pedal feel still feel spot on though, very baffling. Think I'll order a Sachs paddle clutch and be done with it.

What you said. I also never said it was the fastest car in the world ever, I just told lots of people it was faster than theirs. Which it is.

Have you done anything to the M5 recently JD?

And are you going to SOS next Friday Robin?

Are you still gay Seamons?

Edited by Pashley26