The Car Thread

MadManMike

Haven't been on for a while so some mk3 golf estate updatings:

Mate bought a mk4
post-24017-0-82208100-1370227233_thumb.j

drove to see a mate pull out his mk1 after 7 years of dry storage
post-24017-0-99574600-1370227414_thumb.j

Got pissed off with the height So bought everything possible to unseize them nothing i bought helped

post-24017-0-10091800-1370227232_thumb.j
so hunted my mates shed and voila

post-24017-0-20750000-1370227230_thumb.j

First wound all the way down photo

post-24017-0-70034300-1370227227_thumb.j

New splitter for fake lows
post-24017-0-68430300-1370227413_thumb.j

Need so sort my rear drums out asap as there squealing like twats on release of the brake, i believe it is the release spring so brake cleaner and copper grease?

Bought mk4 recaro seats for piss cheap and in ace condition just waiting for my mate to be free to weld and cut them
Bought a perfect condition VR6 seering wheel for just £20 today! best breakers i have ever been to, no scene tax and the guy knows his shit, if anyone is interested i cannot recommend him enough! the place is heaven.
post-24017-0-24029700-1370228158_thumb.j
Wheels are coming on in the next 2 weeks, BBS RMs (16x 8.5j/9.5j) genuine reps :wink2:
Paint job which will remain quiet about for the time being will be happening soon, had a quote edited to mates rates, bought my first litre from TL Derby Volkswagen today
VR6 2.9 or a .8 will be happening, just not yet.
Need a new wind screen
private plates but there last on the agenda

Skoze, did you get a better quote for painting?

Also, Robin..Is there a 1.8t in your 'rocco nowadays? I think the engine is coming out of mine soon as part of its overhaul but I cant decide wether to stick with original, go period or go for a 1.8t.

A nice man tried to drive me into the central reservation of the M25 last night at 80mph. A. it's a crazy world out there so y'all need to watch yourselves B. I need some better brakes.

C) I need to drive at the speed limit.

• Like 1

Skoze, did you get a better quote for painting?

Also, Robin..Is there a 1.8t in your 'rocco nowadays? I think the engine is coming out of mine soon as part of its overhaul but I cant decide wether to stick with original, go period or go for a 1.8t.

Yeah, there's an AEB Passat 1.8t in there, with lots of AGU A3 bits (manifolds, turbo, gearbox.) Tough call for yours, I like the 1.8t in mine, but it was a very tough/close call for me when I did it, was very tempted to go with an ABF on throttle bodies, and I'm still not 100% as to which I'd have preferred.

Thats an alternative for me, ABF on a single weber 45 or twin 40s. Or possibly even twin 45s..Though that might be a bit overkill. My brother is trying to source a VR6 so I kinda want sort a decent 4 pot set-up before he finds a cheap VR6 otherwise I'll get home from work one day and he'll of started fitting it.

A nice man tried to drive me into the central reservation of the M25 last night at 80mph. A. it's a crazy world out there so y'all need to watch yourselves B. I need some better brakes.

Had a similar incident with someone pulling out infront of me at 70mph down a steep dual carridgeway.

Apparently its difficult to flat spot Cooper c2 tyes, mine were f**king square by the time i finished ;)

I can't get an answer to this question, please help me.

I've been re-painting parts of the bimmer. Due to weather, I've only managed to put on the colour and one thick clear coat before the weather went bad (actually, I had to do that twice because I completely failed the first time due to a storm). Now I need to finish the job and apply a few more coats of clear before polishing. How do I prepare the surface? Do I use wet and dry, if so what grade? Or do I apply the clear coat directly onto the old one? I painted in on Friday.

With regards to polishing: 2500 wet and dry and then polish away with some paste? Not looking for a detailing type of finish, just a smooth clear coat rather than the orange peel.

edit: also, need to purchase a polishing machine. What kind of RPM will I be working at most of the time? I can see the cheaper ones work at 900-3800 with 7 speed settings (so presumably every 400rpm) while slightly more expensive ones seem to be infinite between 0-3000RPM. Should I invest 30 quid more in the second one?

Edited by Greetings

C) I need to drive at the speed limit.

Sorry, that was a typo - i was doing 70mph just like the other 10 people or so i came across on my entire journey at 1am last night between London and Brighton.

Guy was a proper chobber, don't think he appreciated me coming out of a slip road in front of him (by a very long way, may i add - didn't slow him down at all) so undertook me coming off a roundabout and then swerved into the side of me as i overtook him in the outside lane some time later. Doubleyoutee-eff.

And no id didn't Allen, i don't think i'll be doing the bodywork for a little while but if you could PM me for ideas if you're up for it that'd be beautiful.

Edited by Skoze

@greetings

If the clear coat has gone hard which I assume it has then you will want to use some super fine paper or an ultra fine scotch pad with some suitable soap/paste, however be very careful not to flat through the laquer cause otherwise without starting over again you'll be able to see it. Make sure it's all clean with some panel wipe and you should be okay to laquer again.

You've got the right idea with the polishing, just be careful near and edges and keep it moving and wet to ensure you don't burn though the paint.

Edited by Duncy H

Looked like good fun Adam!

Put my car on ebay if anyone wants to take a peak... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1992-Volkswagen-Golf-Mk2-Driver-/251283665111?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a81ac70d7

Went to retrorides car meet in sheffield last night, don't think I was there more than ten minutes :lol: There was about 3 interesting cars and a load of new focus st's and me and my mate were just thought well this is disappointing ha.

Haha, yeah. You have plenty of time to work out what's happening with such a well-handling car and such little grip.

It has some 'better' shocks (backed right off so they are pretty soft), brakes off the 1.8 model (bigger rotors), uprated pads, AC and PAS removed to free up a bit of power, but the rest of the engine is standard.

And at the other end of the scale... (First 6 mins are a bit boring, it's me learning the track mainly):

So jealous.

I'm very happy after sorting my rear suspension, no more nasty noises.

I've got two Bilstein dampers to sell that need rebuilt. Does anyone know someone with experience of rebuilding dampers who may therefore be interested in getting some profit out of these?

I'm thinking about £40 posted, and once fixed they would be worth at least twice that.

Bit of a long shot I know!

Edited by Pete.M

So jealous.

I'm very happy after sorting my rear suspension, no more nasty noises.

I've got two Bilstein dampers to sell that need rebuilt. Does anyone know someone with experience of rebuilding dampers who may therefore be interested in getting some profit out of these?

I'm thinking about £40 posted, and once fixed they would be worth at least twice that.

Bit of a long shot I know!

Are they gas charged and do you know if they'd fit a 240? I might know someone who'd have them.

Sounds like a pretty cool idea. Depends what you want from it really. They're good little engines, but they're not overly light or powerful, the best thing in their favor's epic reliability, and being easy to turbo/supercharge, but I'm guessing you wont be doing 100k in it, and charging it in a pop would mean basically replacing every moving part, and it'd probably be easier to just fit a factory turbo'd engine anyway.

That said, it would make a really cool little car.

• Like 1