The Car Thread

MadManMike

So I went out around Manchester last night to a friend of a friends. (college mates uni hall mate) Driving down there they joke and say you do know that his Dad has got two Ferraris and Royles' and I just laughed it off, then they went, no seriously he does... and he does! haha

v12 plate on a v8 though ha

WBsNRxr.jpg

UZqvqE0.jpg

8Bz3DNd.jpg

The Mr2 turbo was a donor for a kit car murcielago. Didn't get a pic of that though as it was under a cover. Also had another Mr2 Lambo! Had an evogue, A3 sline and an AMG merc too :D All in white Epic stuff and a nice surprise haha

The best thing is, he's such a sound guy, doesn't rub it in that he's that rich :)

Edited by dann2707

Foot cam looks impressive!

The mx5 wants some new rear shocks on, it's currently bouncing all over the shop. Any recommendations on what to get or where from? Kinda tempted to go all out and get some coilovers, are the sub £200 sets anygood?

Hah, cheers dude.

I have no idea about the rear shocks, sorry, if they went on mine I'd head to the local motor factors and pick up the cheapest I could, lol.

As mentioned on FB, nice work (Y)

Out of interest, how hard is it driving fast/smooth when you're bunched up like that? Seems like being able to look ahead and properly pick out lines and braking points must be pretty hard or is that not really much of an issue because you're generally having to just freestyle it around what everyone else is doing anyway?

Adam, all your lines and braking points look the same as the ones I took, apart from the first corner. I started braking just as my rear wheels crossed the white line before the corner...looks like I scrubbed far too much speed off compared to you (although I assume I was going quicker in the first place). I think I would struggle to go into the corner any quicker though, its bloody scary entering a corner without scrubbing much speed off after coming off a straight in excess of 130mph! :(

Was that for all 4 wheels? If so that is well good! I like the pics of your car, it is making me want to get one as my bitch car whilst the Porsche has surgery

It was £40 for up to two adjustments and luckily with my car all you can change is the toe so it was all for that price :)

Thanks for the positive comment mate. I really would recommend one. I've just bought a thing called an RS tuner for it too so I can remap it next week :) All for £75 all in.

As mentioned on FB, nice work (Y)

Out of interest, how hard is it driving fast/smooth when you're bunched up like that? Seems like being able to look ahead and properly pick out lines and braking points must be pretty hard or is that not really much of an issue because you're generally having to just freestyle it around what everyone else is doing anyway?

Cheers dude!

I think that depends on who you're following and what your trying to do. Typing anything on my phone is shit so I'll reply properly tomorrow :-P

Adam, all your lines and braking points look the same as the ones I took, apart from the first corner. I started braking just as my rear wheels crossed the white line before the corner...looks like I scrubbed far too much speed off compared to you (although I assume I was going quicker in the first place). I think I would struggle to go into the corner any quicker though, its bloody scary entering a corner without scrubbing much speed off after coming off a straight in excess of 130mph! :(

Hmm. There's not huge amounts of time in the first corner, is very much a risk/reward decision, especially in your road car!

Any vids from the session? Will the car oversteer if you ask it to? Do you have stupidly stiff suspension/ARBs?

Steady on, grumpy.

Didn't think it was that difficult, hence only a pat was on offer.

I'll be keeping the pat regardless since you're actually wrong, it's not a Fiat. Smart arse.

I'm guessing it's a Bertone made X1/9 then if it's not a Fiat? If not then I'd be curious to know what's hiding under the skin. Very cool little cars either way. (Didn't know they were sold as Bertones until reading your post and doing a quick google, I'd have said it was a Fiat too.)

Adam, well done on racing, it's a shame the dyno worked out so unfairly but with the results as they are, I guess it doesn't really matter. :D Good to see the mission motorsport chap do so well, they do some seriously impressive stuff.

Duncy, the cheap coilovers on mine are fine for normal getting around, but they're quite under-damped and therefore a bit too bouncy for pushing on, I didn't find them very confidence inspiring. If you're happy with the ride height then I'd personally just buy some new decent quality shocks unless you want to spend out for decent coilovers.

Just got home from camping at Retro Rides Gathering, what a brilliant weekend and an amazing show. My decision to deliberately take zero pictures so I could just enjoy being there makes this a bit of a boring post though :lol:

I'm guessing it's a Bertone made X1/9 then if it's not a Fiat? If not then I'd be curious to know what's hiding under the skin. Very cool little cars either way. (Didn't know they were sold as Bertones until reading your post and doing a quick google, I'd have said it was a Fiat too.)

Adam, well done on racing, it's a shame the dyno worked out so unfairly but with the results as they are, I guess it doesn't really matter. :D Good to see the mission motorsport chap do so well, they do some seriously impressive stuff.

Yeah, Bertone. I normally wouldn't bother correcting anyone over the name.

It's been stroked to 1600 and has a turbo and megasquirt. It's a proper go kart now :)

Well done Ad, also. Didn't know you were so heavily into the racing (hardly use TF these days). All hail King Of The Salon! ;)

• Like 1

Hmm. There's not huge amounts of time in the first corner, is very much a risk/reward decision, especially in your road car!

Any vids from the session? Will the car oversteer if you ask it to? Do you have stupidly stiff suspension/ARBs?

No videos unfortunately :(

It will oversteer yeah. I have a 23mm front arb, and a 28mm rear. Its fairly stiff by all accounts, but seems pretty well behaved.

I thought about getting some tuition, but all the places were full.

Bum, never mind! If it oversteers then you need to use that to your advantage and try to get the car rotated on entry using the brakes, then apply the throttle to pull the car through. With less steering lock there is less scrub slowing you down and the front tyres have more grip remaining to drive the car forward rather than having to turn... Unless it tries to swap ends every corner, in which case the back end is probably a bit too stiff and it's preventing you carrying any speed!

Makes sense!

I did this on a couple of corners (Esses and the end of Coram), found that was the quickest way through, basically unsettle the car on the way in, then power it through for the way out. I also felt I had a good line for Bombhole (this was where I passed most people). My line through Coram always varied, and I'm not sure which was quickest, lol!

I think if I could tie Coram up, and the first corner, I would have a pretty smooth lap. Sear is always a bit difficult to get perfected, I found I screeched a lot, no matter what I did, this is the main place an LSD would help me I think.

When you've been announced as soon-to-be the youngest F1 driver ever, and with ex-drivers, current drivers, pundits and the media in general all questioning whether you're old enough or possess enough experience, what's the best way to silence those critics?

Get stuck in a corner, get rolled back by marshals then slowly drive into a barrier:

• Like 2