The Car Thread

MadManMike

Shameless Facebook copy & paste...

Anyone on here have experience with Leon / Golf ARL engines? Or even if not, you may be able to help.
I started off with EML on, it mentioned having a shite signal from the glow plugs, which could have been down to the plugs, the harness or the relay. I've replaced all three now. I'm still getting the EML but now with four codes, basically all four cylinders, to do with the plugs.
In addition, my battery light stays on if I plug the glow plug harness in. Thinking my battery may have been knackered I replaced it, but still get the problem. If I unplug the glow plug harness the battery light goes away but obviously the EML stays on.
Today I tested the alternator using a multimeter. Here's the results:
Car off: 12.57 volts
Car on: 11.8 volts
Car on with glow plug harness plugged in: 12.4 volts
I also tested the alternator by removing the negative from the battery and testing the main cable that comes out, that measured 0.5A which I believe is correct?
Am I right in saying that when the car is running the voltage should be up around the 14 mark?
Any help appreciated!

Mike, will read your post properly in a second but have you checked your alternator clutch pulley? I recently had to replace mine (you can hear a funny cracking/knackered bearing noise at idle/certain speeds).If its broken then the alternator won't spin correctly/at all and hence won't charge the battery (I first noticed it when my battery light came on every so often). Could be worth checking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTtvn6LTi04&list=FLk1mrB145nV-UNK1h-rBr7Q&index=23

Edited by David

Oh my, any idea how that's happened?

Just burnt or cracked valves or seats I think. Took the head off and poured water into each inlet port, and on cylinder 1 all 3 inlet valves drip like a tap. Cylinder 2 & 3 are ok inlet wise, cylinder 4 has 1 leaky inlet valve. Each cylinder has 1 leaky exhaust valve.

Pretty sure that's the answer to my misfire problem, and explains why I had one very sooty spark plug (in cylinder 1) compared to the rest.

Refurbing cylinder heads is expensive (looking at £500+ at the very least to get it back on) :(

...track days are expensive :P

Trying to yeah! The seller/company is pretty slow at replying! I asked a couple of questions about if it was opened up to large port etc. They suggested they could port and refurb my head for £350, so I said I would look into it, but I think my head is now a bit beyond saving! I like the idea of just dropping a new head on though, so will chase them up a bit.

If I had the space I'd definitely break my car. As it stands, I'm just going to try and sell it for £1000.

Had enough of trying to figure out what the electrical problem is, I'm going to lose a lot of money on this car but I'm not even bothered, just want rid now.