The Car Thread

MadManMike

As long as it's VAG, it's got 4 pistons, and it's exhaust comes out the back of the head then the box will physically bolt up to a 1.8t. So yeah, all the 1.9tdi's come into that, as well as anything else from a 1.5 mk1 golf through to a 2.0tfsi mk5. (no idea about mk6's onwards, but I can't imagine them being different.) Basically it's only the small engines with the exhaust on the front that you need to avoid. (as well as some commercial stuff like LT35s.) As for what will be useful for what you want it for, I've no idea. The only variation in terms of bolt pattern is that later stuff (mk4 on) added some extra bolts between the bell-housing and sump that early stuff didn't have. If I remember right the link I sent you a while back used an 02j box's bell-housing which is the 5 speed from any 1.8/1.9d/2.0 mk4. I suspect Jakes Ibiza will have a 6 speed.

(Edit: may be handy to know that longitudinal boxes and transverse equivalents mount the starter on opposite sides: front/passenger side for transverse, back/drivers side for longitudinal. It's position's purely dictated by the bell-housing, you might need to match the flywheel to it but I'm not sure on that.)

Edited by RobinJI

Legend! So if I use the spare 1.9tdi block, clutch and flywheel I have to use as my jig for my bellhousing adaptor then it'll fit a 1.8t? If so that's great as it means I can make progress without rushing to find an engine and hopefully score something decent :) I shall get hunting for a dead 5 speed then!

Yeah, the block will work fine for a mock up, they're very, very similar blocks between the petrol and diesels. I'm sure the clutch/flywheel side of things is all covered in that thread I linked you to a while back (can't remember if that was on here or facebook?).

Sadly a 1.4 will be the wrong pattern, as they're the engines with the exhaust on the front that I mentioned. What you're after's the 02j box, or potentially an 02a from a mk3 or b3/4 passat.

Off the top of my head:

Mk1/2 Golf:

1.0/1.1/1.05/1.3 are no use to you.

1.5/1.6/1.8 02o gearbox, the block would work for mocking up, but the box is no use as they use a backwards clutch set-up operated by a rod through the input shaft.

Mk3 golf:

1.05/1.4 are no use

1.6/1.8/1.9td use the mk2 02o set-up.

2.0 16v GTI's use an 02a box, which is similar to the later 02j and may be of use to you. Normal hydraulic clutch and the starters will end up on the passenger side running back towards the bulkhead.

2.0 8v GTI's and 1.9TDi's I believe depend on age as to whether they're an 02a or 02o, the cable vs hydraulic clutch is the instant give-away.

VR6 is no use to you, different bell-housing bolt pattern.

Mk4 golf:

1.4 and 1.6 16v are no use.

1.6 8v I THINK uses an 02a, but I don't really know.

1.8 20v, 1.9tdi and 2.0 8v all use the 02j (I'm not actually 100% about the 2.0 8v, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't.)

V5/V6 is again completely different.

B3/4 Passats use an 02a, as do Corrados. I'm not really clued up on the Seat/Skoda/Polo platforms.

I don't know much about 6 speeds, but I think they use a concentric slave cylinder, which could be good/bad depending on space.

B1, 2 and 4 Passats use an inline engine, I'm not sure on box codes or anything but the before definitely uses a traditional clutch while I'm not sure on the B1 and 2. These will place the starter on the exhaust side of the engine running along the block away from the cabin, which could be useful?

Edited by RobinJI

Barely barely drivable at the moment. If I'm lucky oil levels may just be low, not looking good at the moment though. Sounds like flywheel is about to fall off, the synchromesh is making horrific noise when under load. Also engine is misfiring slightly but that's cause one of the injectors are slightly blocked I'm fairly sure on that.

What engine is it? Does it still drive?

I'll bet if its the one Im thinking off, there'll be a lovely little hole in the bell housing.

If not, unlucky dude.

Yeah it has the hole in the bell housing fortunately, been looking at new gearboxes should take a day to replace or so if I do need one. Unfortunately it's about £400 or so which basically means I'm gonna have to start cycling everywhere again.

Ah balls, I though by small engine you meant 1.2 downwards! I shall get looking for a box, thank you ever so much for taking the time to type all that info out, your knowledge level on this stuff is ridiculous! I need to find that link, now my house is nearly done I can sink my teeth into this project :)

Edit: front facing starter on before would be ideal as otherwise I have to chop some of the bulkhead out iirc.

Edited by CurtisRider

Barely barely drivable at the moment. If I'm lucky oil levels may just be low, not looking good at the moment though. Sounds like flywheel is about to fall off, the synchromesh is making horrific noise when under load. Also engine is misfiring slightly but that's cause one of the injectors are slightly blocked I'm fairly sure on that.

Yeah it has the hole in the bell housing fortunately, been looking at new gearboxes should take a day to replace or so if I do need one. Unfortunately it's about £400 or so which basically means I'm gonna have to start cycling everywhere again.

Ahhh well, I guess cars are just not meant for me. I bought this seat because it was meant to be more f**king reliable than the caddy, I just can't be f**ked anymore.

Isn't it just a crappy 02J 5 speed in there? they typically go for £100 tops dude!

Even if it's an 02M 6 speed, £150-200 tops for a decent used one.

You'd swap it out in a day no trouble too :)

• Like 1

So because I was curious, I went back to the BMW dealership to enquire about prices for wheel bearing changes.

£110 labour each side (1 wheel = 2 hours work). = £220

£50 per bearing kit. = £100

£320 = f**k you mr mechanic man.

I went onto Auto parts.com and found the bearing kit for £41.98 x 2 = £83.96. The warehouse is directly across the road from my work. Arranged a wee pick up/collection. Boom, got them.

Going down to my old mans old work place to get the yard mechanic to help fit them. I'd try it myself but I dont have a massive amount of tools other than a chain splitter and a rubber mallet... 40 or 50 quid his way and that'll be it sorted.

:)

Nah, Peugeots of the era had a sliding glass roof which worked on vacuum pumped seals.

When you slide it across and shut the locking lever it goes "ptsssshhhh" and the roof lifts about 2cm's.

For reference, I'm the S3 in the background being black flagged and heading for the pits...

New PB of Snetterton 300 of 2:25. For comparison, there was a 700bhp Noble M12 which was doing 2:19, and a Porsche 911 GT3 RS which had lots of toys doing 2:22. Seriously chuffed!

For the record, Nankang NS2-R's are absolutely insane. They give SO much grip it's untrue...a must have been nearly 10 seconds quicker a lap than with road tyres!

• Like 1