The Car Thread

MadManMike

I bought the cheapo eBay coilovers rather than replace just the shocks. Have only managed to fit the rears before it went dark but went for a spin and holy crap what a difference! A very happy chappy right now as I was a bit dubious about them.

Also there's a spot near my house in the country that in a way shapes up like a tunnel, went through just before the redline with the window down :)

Received the cleaning products you guys reccomended so expect some dan/jardo esque pictures over the next few days as I make my first attempt to clean a car with some effort.

• Like 1

I bought the cheapo eBay coilovers rather than replace just the shocks. Have only managed to fit the rears before it went dark but went for a spin and holy crap what a difference! A very happy chappy right now as I was a bit dubious about them.

Also there's a spot near my house in the country that in a way shapes up like a tunnel, went through just before the redline with the window down :)

Received the cleaning products you guys reccomended so expect some dan/jardo esque pictures over the next few days as I make my first attempt to clean a car with some effort.

Good stuff, there seems to be quite a bit of variation between makes/models with the cheap coilovers, glad you got good ones. To be honest anything will be better than blown shocks so all's good!

That's good you got the rears done too, they're often the most troublesome to fit.

Good stuff, there seems to be quite a bit of variation between makes/models with the cheap coilovers, glad you got good ones. To be honest anything will be better than blown shocks so all's good!

That's good you got the rears done too, they're often the most troublesome to fit.

That's not to say they were totally trouble free, the bolt on top of the damper rod (couldn't think of right name) has decided it doesn't want to budge half way down the thread and there's an occasional knocking noise cause it's obviously not sat at the bottom. Not sure how I'm going to sort that yet but it's not going to come off or go on right without some grief. (N)

Does this mean gearbox wasn't broken?

Or gearbox AND dogbone are broken?

Luckily gearbox wasn't broken, I genuinely thought it had. And someone I know who is clued up mechanically thought so too at first.

Thankfully the worst that's come of this is destroyed heatshield, boost pipe that goes up to the turbo from underneath with very nearly worn hole in from rubbing against drive shaft every time it moved.

My goddd the car feels SO much nicer to drive now, such a good feeling.

Now have no issue owning my shit little Vauxhall.

Just come back in from a verrrrryyyyy fun drive. Handles like a go-kart and now Ive got these GSI step downs on with half decent rubber all round it just grips.

Old steelies on Nexens were a very interesting experience if you cornered a tad quick :giggle:

Make it more fun that its a car Im not bothered about breaking. Insurers come to replace my telematics box tomorrow, so no more fun :'(

Edited by SamKidney

I'm so glad that I'm old enough to have learnt to drive/started driving without having to deal with a tracker. That would have been a f**king massive buzz kill. They're blatantly going to become more widespread, but at least I've got the foreseeable future to boot around as I choose without having to worry about Co-Operative Insurance looking over my shoulder and tutting.

I had a telematics box for the first year of driving, and do think it helped make me a smoother if not 'better' driver. But it was awful knowing that it doesn't record the situation, just the amount of force you put through the car.

So a rabbit runs out in front of you; do you run it over and keep a clean sheet on the black box, or swerve and get a point against your name for 'excessive cornering'. I became so fixated on getting perfect scores every time I went out that I focussed more on that than I did on driving safely!

I couldn't/wouldn't ever consider one again though, but at the time it took around £1000 off my premium!

Everything Dann did broke.

Everything Seat did seems to still be working :lol:

Hahaha yeah my mate was just saying that, I don't doubt he's a good mechanic. Just unlucky really.

but at the time it took around £1000 off my premium!

I'd view it as a £1000 to go kart on open roads license. I definitely pay for that haha!

Hahaha yeah my mate was just saying that, I don't doubt he's a good mechanic. Just unlucky really.

I'd view it as a £1000 to go kart on open roads license. I definitely pay for that haha!

You wouldn't if you were in a 1.1 litre 75bhp Peugeot 106...

Wait a year, get something fun and then go-kart for no change in premium ;)

I dont really mind my Corsa much. Gets me about.

Didnt think it was drastically slow for one either, until tonight. Rinsed by my mate in the same model.

Think my cats collapsed and blocked, exhaust manifold glows red after I thrash it a bit...

Its having an engine on Friday, and a new(er) CAT fitted. No more metalic oil and a quiet engine!

Telematics is a b*****d, I hate it but given my postcode it was the only option. Mine is far too sensitive and offers no give in scores. If I go so much as 4mph over the limit, it counts against me immediately, and driving smoothly with it seems to be a dark art, though given my route to work is an old bumpy back road with some sweet corners and a limit of 60mph, it was never going to be good :giggle: They hadnt even registered that they werent receiving a signal from mine when I queried why my scores werent being updated, so I shot myself in the foot there.

Insuring my next at my Dads address after this year, which is where I do the most miles anyway.