The Car Thread

MadManMike

Picked up a new condenser earlier to replace mine which has had a hole for a few weeks now, took me a fair while to pull the front end off the car due to a number of seized ad horrible bolts but got there in the end. Rad's not looking too tidy either it seems...

radfucked_zps2fxtvknd.jpg

Never seen anything quite like it to be honest :blink:

Shall be heading back to ECP in the morning to pick up a new one. At least I can do the pair together I guess, though less than ideal either way.

Edit: Less ideal still, neither ECP nor GSF locally have it, so it'll be a 50 mile trip to the next closest branch of GSF to pick one up instead. Lovely.

Picked up a new condenser earlier to replace mine which has had a hole for a few weeks now, took me a fair while to pull the front end off the car due to a number of seized ad horrible bolts but got there in the end. Rad's not looking too tidy either it seems...

Never seen anything quite like it to be honest :blink:

Shall be heading back to ECP in the morning to pick up a new one. At least I can do the pair together I guess, though less than ideal either way.

Edit: Less ideal still, neither ECP nor GSF locally have it, so it'll be a 50 mile trip to the next closest branch of GSF to pick one up instead. Lovely.

Bit of a b*****d. You can't get them to relocate the stock for you so your drive is shorter?

In the clio world...

B9NiabV.jpg

4kTVBGW.jpg

Next few weeks will be painting the cage and the wheels for the tyres. Fun.

• Like 1

Ooh new goodies, nice one man! Cage to be welded in, presumably?

And yeah, I could likely get them to bring them across but to be honest by the time they've pulled their finger out, found the stock, thrown it in the van, moved it to the local store and sorted it out at this end I may as well just steal mum's car and head to the former. They don't open until 0830 anyway so I can head out early and all being well should be home with it again no later than 1000 to crack on with getting it all fitted. Not the end of the world, just a little frustrating. Ah well!

• Like 1

This thing's pretty fruity - first electric car to win the Pikes Peak hillclimb.

The drop at around 5:10 can do one!

This isn't that car (obviously) but is run by the same team/company who run the one featured in the video. Pretty cool photo:

9268189637_2f8a8b603f_c.jpg

On the other hand, this is the car from the above video. "We've got an extra rear wing, what d'you want us to do with it?" "Just put it somewhere..."

eo-pp03.jpg

Nobody picked up on Greg buying ds2500's and tried to stop him :(

Standards are slipping lads.....

I done a fair bit of reading up and some people swear by them while others hate them seems to be pretty mixed reaction thought i would give them a bash couldnt be any worse than whats on the car at the minuite there horrible.

Out of curiosity what pad you running?

Cl5+ was another pad a few guys had mentioned if all fails with these new pads might try them out.

I think it's because Greg buys things regardless?

-

When this is launched - http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/fiat/500/91808/2016-fiat-500-facelift-unveiled-new-tech-and-updated-looks

I'm going to buy an M3/911 turbo.

Thats not entirely true i was going to buy a 4 point harness till u said buy 6 instead so went with your judgement.

Carbine Lorraine (any / all of them) are a different league to DS2500. The reason you get such mixed reviews is the same as trials brake pads, some people can't ride / drive, and some people can. It should be mandatory that any pad 'review' is accompanied by a video :lol:

I don't mean to bang on, as it seems you've already realised, but I will anyway :lol:

There's a HUGE number of Honda fan boys who swear by ds2500's, and get very aggressive when I say they're shit.

Those same people tend to be about 5-6s a lap off the pace their cars are capable of, perfectly explaining why the humble 2500 suits them.

The few Honda driving track day goers I've met that are properly on it pace wise have all agreed that they're utter shite.

As Adam says, CL rc5/6 are in a totally different league and not even comparable.

If you're still able to cancel, I would!

Copypasta:

So I decided to replace the condenser in the LCR as it wasn't working. Reserved one at ECP and collected it on my way home from base this week. Ideal, happy days, got the car home and started to pull off the front end so I could get to everything (bit of a ballache but far from the end of the world)

However, having pulled off the slam panel complete with rad, condenser, fans etc it became pretty obvious why the previous owner had been having issues and throw a megaton of radweld/k-seal type stuff in the system...

radfucked_zpsh4qwevqg.jpg

Separated the radiator from the condenser and fans to see how bad things were.

Answer: Pretty nasty!

20150704_115853_zpsgiiyf6x0.jpg

20150704_115844_zpsbcgnreow.jpg

Although it wasn't leaking, there was no way I was having everything off again to do it separately down the line. Gave ECP a check, local store didn't have anything in stock, nor did the next closest (20 miles further away), nor did one in the other direction (30 miles). A check on the GSF site wasn't far behind, with nothing within a 30 mile radius again. Finally managed to track one down that I could get my hands on the following day but it was a 75 mile round trip, so reserved the stock and left the Leon looking rather sorry for itself for the night

20150703_202055_zps5e188x0l.jpg

The following morning rolled around and I pinched mum's Polo hoping all would be present and correct when I got there - I even made sure to get there for opening at 0830 today just to make sure :P

I also picked up some cheap rad flush and coolant so I can flush any remaining gunk from the lines a few times over the coming weeks and get rid of as much as possible.

20150704_110339_zpsewheilwh.jpg

Started to strip things down. Sensor was filthy to start with so gave that a good scrub, along with claning up the drier and slam panel which were both pretty grubby to begin with.

20150704_113021_zpsbzquzfbz.jpg

20150704_115112_zpsvkmneyh6.jpg

20150704_111454_zpsmsbpcutt.jpg

20150704_121254_zpsjp78mry5.jpg

O rings had seen better days

20150704_114825_zpsnu1bgy5k.jpg

Everything clean and together, the slam panel install good to go...

20150704_124428_zpstarxmavw.jpg

...here!

20150704_125803_zpsgt4vokle.jpg

Fortunately I manage to remember/work out where everything went (after a slight niggle with an upside down air con drier...!)

20150704_132843_zpsxbbbaypp.jpg

Aaaaand then I forgot to actually take a photo with it all back together. Mong.

Flushed the coolant loop through a few times with fresh water and then threw the chemical flush in there. Went for a quick lap of the lanes to warm everything through and the car seemed to pull better than it ever has before. I can't think of any reason for this whatsoever, so I'm going to assume it's entirely placebo effect or that the car's appreciating a bit of love for a change. Either way I'm just going to keep enjoying it every time I turn the key :D

• Like 1

I don't mean to bang on, as it seems you've already realised, but I will anyway :lol:

There's a HUGE number of Honda fan boys who swear by ds2500's, and get very aggressive when I say they're shit.

Those same people tend to be about 5-6s a lap off the pace their cars are capable of, perfectly explaining why the humble 2500 suits them.

The few Honda driving track day goers I've met that are properly on it pace wise have all agreed that they're utter shite.

As Adam says, CL rc5/6 are in a totally different league and not even comparable.

If you're still able to cancel, I would!

Cheers prawn and adam will call and cancel monday and emailed 1 of the retailers on the dc2 forum about hooking me up with some cl5+ pads instead :)

• Like 1