The Car Thread

MadManMike

I don't have access to a Dremel at the moment, would a forge steel rasp file get through stainless?

I realise it might take a while by hand, but I just want to make sure it would actually be man enough for the job. Not much material needs to come off.

£310 for a manifold and it doesn't even fit?

Yep, great eh?

If I'd bought it from them directly I'd be asking them to come and collect it.

For £50 it's worth a set of files and some elbow grease...

Does make me wonder how it'll fit at the other end once it's on though!

"Usually" :P

Most derv Ford's/Volkswagens I frequent usually sit at 90 degrees all day long

you frequent usually? :P

All diesels ive driven sit at 90 degrees too. i think the temperate gauges are a bit of a con on newer cars though. swear i read somewhere that they show 90 degrees just to show its 'up to temperate' but the actual water temperate can be a bit out either way.

My PD130 in my Octavia has never risen above 90° but I've never in 5 years had the fan come on. Bonnet and surrounding area never even see to get warm / hot.

Something is probably broken but it's not affected anything so seems all good to me.

So, this manifold is a tough old cookie. The files did nothing, despite being rasps "For strong metal".

Decided to use the drill and mash some material away, but being on the 4th floor of a block means I need to be fairly quiet - not very achievable when you're trying to grind off a load of steel.

Time to find somewhere that'll butcher it quickly, there's not much that needs taking off so hopefully I can just chuck 'em a fiver or something.

Decided to sell the Passat as its done its job for me, times come and I need a van.

My 3DSM wheels were curbed to hell and I've always wanted a cool colour on the rims so Kia Techno orange came into play...

IMAG0804_zpsonslk6zp.jpg

Pretty pleased with the colour, just need 2 New tyres on the back and I can get those painted then. After that I need to fiberglass the front splitter up and address a bit of lacquer peel on the front wing then it's up for sale. I'll be quite sad to see her go, does everything I want apart from carry 8x4 sheet materials.

• Like 2

Guy is pretty rapid! Must have been pretty wild for the guy he overtook just having someone sail past you on grass, on the outside...

The feeling of nosing it in on that big jump first time around must be grim - it's bad enough on a bike when you've got something you can do about it, but that "OTB" feeling in a car must be pretty horrible.

Yeah, still looking for a video of that overtake but it looks like nobody was standing there. I love how clean the overtake was, almost as if it was on a track.

I've always wondered if getting air in a car can be painful upon landing. Anyone have any experience?

The only airbourne experiences I have in a car are somewhat less exciting than I know you're looking for:

1. 1.0l Fiat Uni, flat out with a downhill runup over a known nasty humpback bridge.

Estimated airtime 0.2 seconds.

2. 1.4l Rover 400, Original 24tour, Jon Granger standing out of the sunroof, Sam Nichols hanging out of the window, beer pouring from the former to the latter. Speed bumps at 65.

Estimated airtime of the car 0.0 seconds.

Estimated airtime of Sam/Jon significantly higher.

In very loosely related news, I did a quick lap of the base on my way back earlier. Stumbled across these things that'd been left lying around...

20150630_211837_zpsjgwjl1ep.jpg

20150630_211923_zpsiin1dcnz.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers dude! That's actually straight form the phone, which itself is far from anything special being a 2 year old Galaxy S4 mini in Panorama mode. Impressed by the stitching of panoramas by it though (Y)

I'm as useless with Photoshop as I am at taking photos so if anyone wants the full size original to play with drop me a PM (a decent photo properly tidied up would be lovely!) but here's a slightly bigger one (not quite desktop size due to hosting, but again yell if required) with a very light noise reduction and saturation tweak:

lcrtweak.png

Pretty happy with how it came out all things considered. Will have to pop back down and try to do things "properly" with a decent camera at some point. Any feedback/pointers on how to get a good shot welcomed :)

Wrayvon - how's the new whip?

• Like 1

you frequent usually? :P

All diesels ive driven sit at 90 degrees too. i think the temperate gauges are a bit of a con on newer cars though. swear i read somewhere that they show 90 degrees just to show its 'up to temperate' but the actual water temperate can be a bit out either way.

That's not a bad point re the temp gauge being a bitttt of a con. Some of the later vauxhall cdti's show live data running at 105 degrees normal temp while the drivers gauge reads/shows 90. Seems to be a baseline that most people see as normal.

As I said though the fords/volkswagens seem to be pretty accurate.

Yeah, still looking for a video of that overtake but it looks like nobody was standing there. I love how clean the

overtake was, almost as if it was on a track.

I've always wondered if getting air in a car can be painful upon landing. Anyone have any experience?

I got air in my micra on chopped springs. The rear ones fell out and it only reinforced how much of a bad idea I thought it was to run them upon landing. Still running them haha

The guy who built my car got in contact latly and sent me some pics of the rebuild of the car from blue to yellow.

He cleared up a few things with me and seemed like the car was his pride and joy when he had it.

Anyways since engine build the car has only covered 6000 miles which was great to know.

Some pics from when he had it.

IMG-20150630-WA0013_zpsc472dgv6.jpg

IMG-20150630-WA0014_zpsxbbxevgr.jpg

IMG-20150630-WA0015_zps8vd8zfdd.jpg

IMG-20150630-WA0016_zpsdkqtppac.jpg

IMG-20150630-WA0017_zps7qoijnut.jpg

IMG-20150630-WA0018_zpscojutjz1.jpg

IMG-20150630-WA0021_zpsgoxdc92w.jpg

Anyways i put the car into garage to get new tyres fitted and mot. They werent happy with the wiring i knew it was a bit of a mess so they said tidy it up and well put it through and that everything seemed fine.

So i took dash to work tonight to cut up so it fits behind cage mite still remove more of it see how it fits and what i need and what i dont.

IMG-20150630-WA0029_zpsfyyuyrgk.jpeg

Since its pay day thought i would treat the car to some goodies that should finish it complete.

On order is

Aim mxl strada digi dash

d2500 pads

nrg short hub and quick release system.

Was fed up with the s2000 convertor dash so decided to replace it. The aim should wire into the aem ecu using can in and out and read everything from there i hope saves me needing any guages ect so looking forward to having that in.

All parts should be here and fitted in the next 2 weeks. There was a track day at knockhill on the 14th i was hoping to attend but looks like i may just miss it definetly going to get the next 1 booked up though.

I have for sale itr ukdm clocks, and s2000 ap1 clocks with daveywhite motorsport coverter box if anyone is interested drop me a pm

Edited by greg1040

Cheers dude! That's actually straight form the phone, which itself is far from anything special being a 2 year old Galaxy S4 mini in Panorama mode. Impressed by the stitching of panoramas by it though (Y)

I'm as useless with Photoshop as I am at taking photos so if anyone wants the full size original to play with drop me a PM (a decent photo properly tidied up would be lovely!) but here's a slightly bigger one (not quite desktop size due to hosting, but again yell if required) with a very light noise reduction and saturation tweak:

lcrtweak.png

Pretty happy with how it came out all things considered. Will have to pop back down and try to do things "properly" with a decent camera at some point. Any feedback/pointers on how to get a good shot welcomed :)

Wrayvon - how's the new whip?

Really good, thanks! Currently waiting for a variety of things to tidy it up a bit. Today's task is a full service though. New stereo going in this weekend, along with new badges (others looking tatty). And will probably make a start on refurbing the alloys! I shall post more picture as I go along... Maybe even some Dan style before and afters...
  • Like 1