The Car Thread

MadManMike

I hope the MOT place is sympathetic, I think it could fail on:

Emissions

Headlight angle (Which I'm gonna try and adjust tonight, just not sure where exactly they should be pointing!)

Bushes

Play in steering rack

Wheel alignment

Front drivers shock absorber

I'll find out what their favourite beer is :(

Emissions have always been my biggest worry come mot time. My local perforance garage was spot on though. They have loads of cats lying around so they popped 1 on the teg done its test and removed and charged an hours labour. Saved me having to spend some money on supplying my own.

Managed to get a mates garage to squeeze me in thursday to fit my new drop links.

Everything else for the car should be here this week might make knockhill track night next week afterall

Mine is pre-cat, so the test is less strict, but I'm pretty sure my timing is way out and the engine is running rich. Mine seems to drink more fuel than most, so I'm sure there's going to be an emissions problem.

It really will take a miracle.

Just sourced a set of standard suspension with lowering springs for £80.

Picking them up tomorrow, if the car fails on that I can get them on over the weekend (Will do it regardless of pass / fail).

Adjust the lights tonight, then it's just play in steering rack and worn bushes that are mechanically wrong (As far as I'm aware!)

Gonna see if the MOT place will do timing to 14 degrees, as I think mine is way out.

So I thought my exhaust was blowing, I'm not sure but I think it may be a little bit worse than that :'( worse thing is it's the only 5zigen non turbo exhaust I've seen in the uk, makes no noise under 3.5k yet howls/pop/occasionally flames at higher revs. Gunna see how salvageable it is if I replace the mild steel pipes with stainless, think the silencer has had it though

B63AF85B-32D4-4A1F-9EDB-59E11367F36B_zps

609464C8-2FD3-434F-83C2-7BF5BC90062F_zps

So.

Gareth at ACE has been spending a bit of time getting to know my car.

There are many things wrong with it.

However, much to my delight I have confirmation that it has a plated diff in it.

I don't mind spending lots of money on it now that I have "gained" a quite expensive gearbox that I didn't know I had.

• Like 1

Had to order a new clutch for the S3, current one started slipping since the new turbo back exhaust went on. After lots of reading, I went with a Helix organic system. Was tempted by a single mass flywheel system, but apparently on the 6 speed VAG boxes, the rattle, which would drive me nuts.

Another £800 down the drain...but it does now mean I'm ready for "Stage 2+", which is 360-380bhp and 360-400ftlbs. Should be a bit different to what it has now!