The Car Thread

MadManMike

4 hours ago, Jolfa said:

Questioning a colour choice and cambelt logic is targeting misery? :P

And you're still a fanny JD you just seem to have wound your neck in a bit :)

I get bored of playing with you, it's too easy. Let's not clutter the car thread with your embarrassment, eh? If you want to call me names like we're on a playground, take it to PM. 

Fitted the 255LPH pump this morning. 

The car feels much easier to drive now, lots more torque and a lot smoother.  I think the old pump may have been on the way out. 

I'm trying to get to the bottom of my whistle noise...

It's annoying. 

I'm getting the itch for a car change (not the Porsche). I want something bigger than my Astra H and preferably a bit more pokey too but I'm not that fussed as long as it's bout the same minimum (1.9 120bhp currently). I keep looking at 9-3 Aeros as they are silly cheap now and I loved my 9-3 sport. The thing that bothers me is I think I will be doing quite a few miles so a diesel is necessary most likely and I think an estate would be really useful (TTID is an option I guess!). The other choice is I go for a pick up for more space but that won't exactly be great on fuel and I don't need that extra space all the time. I don't care about having a super new car and it would be nice to have something that is like an old couch for the motorways, if only they made a 9000 Kombi....

I haven't seen Prawns but I did see Robin had a cool 5 series. Not keen on an E46 unless it was really cheap as my parents have one and it looks and feels so cheap inside, it makes my Vauxhall look like a Roller. The Passat Tom had looked good, earlier Passats are mingers though.

Something like this would be great, not sure on running costs though but they look baller:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw/bmw-530-d-touring-sport-/1175843393

Ford Smax, drives really well, pokey(ish*), economical(ish**), loads of room, loads of seats, very comfy :)
Perhaps not that cool but really practical, I paid 3.5k for my 56 plate titanium.

* 2.0 tdci is 140bhp but for some reason they seemed to come from ford with more, some have been reported to be almost 155 stock.

** I get slightly better than fords suggested mpg figures, 42 pottering around town and 52 on the motorway, I do drive sensibly though.

edit: load space is massive with the rear seats flat, full 6 foot long and flat so can sleep in it if need be.

Edited by forteh

True, it's an mpv for those in denial that they need an mpv :D

Paul doens't need an mpv but he wants a larger more practical vehicle, the s-max gives you space, comfort and economy - he has the porsche for shits and giggles.

Edited by forteh

Something like that is not out of the question but also not high on my preferences list :P I've also been looking at pick ups and quite fancy a Navara, specifically the Outlaw but if I buy something like that I need to check what it is capable of towing as I'd like to get a trailer+license at some point

Navaras are undergoing recall for chassis problems. Even the older models are being recalled due to collapsed chassis' due to corrosion. 

The heads on the older ones were prone for cracking or becoming porous due to poor castings. 

The newer ones aren't bad motors in fairness, just the chassis issues to keep in mind. 

Edited by SamKidney

We have an l200 at work and it's horrible to drive, so boaty and likes to go sideways at least provocation in the damp. It's a twin cab so load space is not great although you can sling a bike in the back no problems :)

edit: it's an 11 plate on 76k and has been reliable to the best of my knowledge, pretty shite on fuel though.

Edited by forteh