Company Logo Ideas

RobinJI

As one or two of you may know, I'm currently in the process of setting up a business producing vehicle components, as well as doing custom fabrication work. Mostly motorsport orientated suspension and chassis parts, but I'll also be making looks and practicality based parts too, and to begin with it'll just be anything I can get someone to pay me to make :P.

I've got to a point where I want to start stickering things up, as well as wanting to be able to send formal/professional looking letters and invoices, so I need to establish a logo for the company.

I'm after some ideas regarding the logo, if anyone's able to give any ideas or input it'd be hugely appreciated.

I've got a few requirements/preferences:

- No more than 2 colours, or getting vinyl graphics made up gets awkward and expensive.

- The colour/colours needs to look decent plastered all over a car, but also as a letter header, website, clothing ect..

- It needs to be fairly simple, so it's recognisable at a glance (or on a car flying around a circuit!) preferably clear/distinct enough that you can still tell recognise it in a blurred photo.

- It can't have any particularly fiddly/thin bits unless they can be easily removed/aren't a major part, or vinyl graphics get awkward, and it wont scale down properly for watermarks and the like.

- It needs to look professional and mature, I'm not targeting 17 year olds who've just passed their driving test, I want to give a professional/high quality image.

Importantly, the companies name will be "RJI Performance Fabrication", but "RJI" needs more emphasis, as some products will be branded as "RJI Performance" and some as "RJI Fabrications". For the same reason, the later words could do with not being too integral to the design.

This is my current favorite idea, the words 'Performance Fabrication" can go above each other if space requires it:

post-4312-0-92738800-1339760352_thumb.pn

As I say, any input or advice is more than welcome. Do my priorities and what I've done so far seem sensible? I almost feel like that design needs a small logo to do with it, or something else that's more instantly recognisable, something you don't have to read like a shaped boarder, or a small graphic on the right to balance out the "RJI" maybe?

Thanks, Robin.

Just get some funky text going on a silhouette of a car or something.

Example drew on paint that's been scaled up slightly and really really poo but that's sort of what i thought of with the headlight thing going on instead of a silhouette 576822_4065567886963_1257924329_n.jpg

Edited by Miss-Higgy

Yeah, I'd consider how to improve or expand on the 1st one in Sunny's original post and perhaps #3 in the above post. It looks like something you'd find on a card. Needs to be more distinct and easier to read but it's going in a good direction in my opinion.

Thanks guys, some good suggestions.

Firstly, my original ideas out the window since a friend pointed out that his first thought when seeing it was of a Chinese restaurant, and he's right! The 'RJI' lettering's a little oriental looking.

Simpson, I'm a bit conflicted with the name, the trouble is, if I just call it fabrication, it sounds like I make gates and roof A-frames, it's too vague but at the same time I don't want to say anything too specific and alienate the markets that I'd like to get into.

Bikeperson45, it could be circular, I know what you mean, but I think the lettering for 'performance fabrication' would end up too small and fiddly to get the proportions right.

JD, That's awesome! haha, not sure it gives quite the right image though ;) Dam you, now I'm not going to be able to say my own initials without ending it with aiiiiiii

Miss-Higgy, that's a nice looking logo, I can competely see where you're going with it. My only concern is that it's starting to get a little fussy, and vehicle silhouettes are quite overused in logos. (That said, I can't think of any right now!)

Rob, Ermm.... OK?

SunnyBoy, Really liking your first and third suggestions (The ones with the faded line at the top), the others are good too though. You've definitely understood the sort of thing I'm looking for, thanks! I may well have a play and work on those ideas my self if you don't mind?

KingC, I know what you mean, there's a lot to be said for keeping it simple, but I do want it to be recognisable, I think just some text with a small detail is all it'll take. I like that layout and nice clear simple font.

PeteM and Greetings, yeah, I do agree with you both.

We can try anything you want out on my car Robin, if you want to see how a vinyl will look and locations etc.

Something which is sunstrip friendly too would be a good idea. From an advertisement point of view all logos need to be the same, I never realised how much though has to go into a logo design! I will have a chat with the guys up in our marketing, they might be able to knock something up.

If you want I'll make a neat looking version on monday when i'm back in work and able to get on a mac. That was drew on paint in 5min flat and i have a better idea with less colours same idea and no headlamp.

Edited by Miss-Higgy

Simpson, I'm a bit conflicted with the name, the trouble is, if I just call it fabrication, it sounds like I make gates and roof A-frames, it's too vague but at the same time I don't want to say anything too specific and alienate the markets that I'd like to get into.

For me personally I think if something says "PERFORMANCE something" it sounds kinda cheap

RJI Custom Motorsport group.

RJI Custom Motorsport.

RJI Racing Fabrication.

RJI Motorsport Fabrication.

I dunno........... maybe I'm getting hung up on the wrong point, if your shits good and gets a good rep its gonna sell regardless.

• Like 1

The trouble is, if I say 'Motorsport' or 'racing', then I'm going to alienate people that aren't building racing cars, and although in the long run I'd like the business to get to the point where I'm aiming specifically at that market, to start with I'm going to want all the work I can get, so I don't want to shoot my self in the foot at the first step. Classic and vintage car owners aren't going to approach somewhere labled as motorsport or racing, and neither are boat owners (which being near the coast in the south west is another potential market). The same goes with 'custom' to a certain extent. A 'custom' car to a lot of people is a specific style/area of car modification, so gives a bit of the wrong impression. The terminology within car modification can be a pain in the arse for this sort of thing! I liked 'Peformance' because it's vague, but highlights the fact that I don't just want to make gates or weld RSJ's together, because I can't and don't want to compete in that market, but I can kind of see what you're saying.

SunnyBoy, cheers, I'll send you a few stickers if I use one of your ideas! if you want them that is :P

Miss-Higgy, thanks, I'll be interested to see what you come up with, but there's no obligation, don't get your self in trouble at work doing it! I think I can see what you're going for there, and I do like the general look of it. If it makes any difference, the type of cars I'll be concentrating on will be small closed wheel racing cars, along the lines of Radicals, so a silouhette of that sort of car would be more appropriate than a road car. I may have a play my self over the weekend.

This is the sort of thing if you're not aware of them:

543753_401833353160193_678341771_n.jpg

I really like the 'motorsport' logo on the side that car (my old colleges car), but I don't just want to copy it haha.

Edited by RobinJI

Yeah, custom isn't too bad, but there is definitely a connection with the crazy '70s 'customs', which is probably more in the minds of our parents generation than ours, but then a lot of my customers will likely be that generation. I'm also not aiming to only do custom work, I will be doing batch work as well as a line of 'off the shelf' products. I do get what you're saying though, and thanks for the input, everyone's opinion is always appreciated with stuff like this. No one had mentioned performance sounding cheap before, so it's good to know that there's that connection in some peoples minds.

Jardo, it's up to you, we could give something a go, but without any of my work on the car it seems a bit odd! My Passat daily driver will be getting a fair few stickers, just for the advertisement, and because it'll look more professional arriving at meetings/parked outside a workshop.

Edited by RobinJI

If it were me I'd just stick with RJI Performance/Motorsport and then on larger things like banners and the like add a tag along the lines of "Manufacturers of Bespoke Motorsport/Performance (opposite of the company name) and Styling Components"