Sean Watson Hat Helmet?

JoNnY__Mc

The lowest profile one I know of is that Pro-Tec one that you can't buy over here because it fails the point-impact test.

You can get them imported from America if you're desperate, but they're still not slim enough to go under a hat (unless that hat's size a-million).

Helmets are all similar for a reason. If they were much thinner, they wouldn't do the job.

If you're going to the trouble of making one so thin that you look cool but it doesn't perform is primary function, you may as well just sack it off altogether and wear a hat.

If you don't wear one, trials riders will whinge at you endlessly. They, in general, seem incapable of recognizing that it's a personal decision.

I wear one because I fall off a lot, and slam my head hard enough that I suspect it'd do real damage maybe three or four times a year, but I don't give anyone not wearing one shit because it's their damn choice.

They know there's the potential of injury, but they don't see it as worth it. Same way I know I stand a chance of getting shindigs, but don't wear shin-pads. Same way as my chain could snap and I break my neck, but I still ride bikes.

In short: wear helmet, or don't. Wear one that won't protect your head is pointless.

• Like 4

I believe that Sean Watson handmade his helmet. Out of fibreglass, or something. Maybe check Clean cause I'm sure Mark got some pictures/quote when he came to the UK.

In short: wear helmet, or don't. Wear one that won't protect your head is pointless.

+10

I wear a helmet cause I feel funny if I don't wear one, that's how I was raised!

Edited by AndrewEH1
  • Like 1

Just buy a normal a bmx style helmet so that you're getting all the safety you need and then get your equine steez on with one of these bad boys...

http://www.robinsonsequestrian.com/riding-apparel/safety/3-coloured-star-hat-cover.html

They're designed to go over riding hats so they'll fit snugly over a bmx style lid.

• Like 1

rugby head gear? Mikey C always uses that like, u wont need a helmet on ur brakeless bike mate i never use one because carnt really do much to fall off

you f**king serious? all you do is loop out, which is when a helmet is most useful, holy f**k thats like one of the worst things i've read on here.

• Like 3

Oh my days.

I wish you would stop implying that riding brakeless will kill you.

If anything, it's less dangerous. You get so practiced at coming off that you learn how not to get hurt most the time.

I know seven brakeless riders in person, and none of them have had injuries you wouldn't get otherwise (shindigs etc) (and nor have I), so please stop telling people it's such a bad idea.

• Like 2

I wish you would stop implying that riding brakeless will kill you.

If anything, it's less dangerous. You get so practiced at coming off that you learn how not to get hurt most the time.

I know seven brakeless riders in person, and none of them have had injuries you wouldn't get otherwise (shindigs etc) (and nor have I), so please stop telling people it's such a bad idea.

So you agree that you don't need a helmet Brakeless?

Where did he say that? He was just replying to the way Brad's been saying quite a bit that brakeless is dangerous, if you ride brakeless you'll "lose your teeth", etc.

There was an interesting thing in the Albion where they tested different types of headwear to see what did/didn't offer any protection. Most of the tests they use to say helmets are 'safe' in the standard tests bear no relation to anything, so even though things like ProTec helmets are theoretically unsafe (they fail due to not having a complete inner AFAIK?) they're still absolutely fine and are one of the most popular helmets in BMX for that reason. There are some D3O beanies that were surprisingly good/safe too.

There are some D3O beanies that were surprisingly good/safe too.

Pretty interesting. I'd definatly think about getting one for the winter. Wearing one of those thin beanies under a normal helmet just doesn't feel right. Need some good ear coverage :santa:

• Like 1

Ah hah. My bad.

I can see how it would read like that, but that's absolutely not what I was saying :P

Mark's explanation was on the money.

Fair play, that was on the verge of a silly tf debate!

I think the whole concept of a hat helmet is slightly wrong. It may look good, but you don't want to be setting a poor example to kids and new riders.

I'm proud that trials riders on a whole wear helmets, unlike bmx.

• Like 1