Cheeky Mouse

tomturd

I got woken up last night by what I initially thought was someone trying to break into the house. Natually, like the man I am, I stayed in bed, terrified and attempting to work out how I could barricade myself into my room in the event that they came upstairs.

Once I started thinking sensibly I decided it must be a mouse or a rat under the floorboards. It must be making a nest up there or something, the ceiling below is brand new so its not as if there's any food or bits of wood up there for it to get excited about. So a few hours ago I put some mouse bait out which I happened to have under the sink. Up to this point this is the first mouse activity I've witnessed in this house.

Just now, sitting in my living room, I caught sight of a fat little mouse from the corner of my eye. He walked around for a bit, jumped up and down for a while trying to get up a door, and finally dissappeared into a cupboard. I emptied the cupboard but he's not there, so I put some bait in the cupboard ready for next time. About 5 minutes later the very same mouse strolls up to the sofa I'm sitting on, literally 30cm from my feet, and goes under the sofa (I lifted it up, but he's gone - again). I get the feeling this cheeky chappy is going to be hard to catch. Anyone got any tips? Now I've got to know the mouse, I feel like maybe mouse poison is a bit harsh.. anyone had any luck with humane traps?

• Like 1

Well I'm worried now that the reason it was so fat is 'cos its full of baby mice. I'm also reading stories that some mice just feed off the bait and it doesn't actually kill them :S

Steal a cat for a few evenings?

That would be awesome, but I don't know anyone who could lend me one :(

This, unless you take it to the middle of nowhere and let it go. Your lucky it's only a mouse especially with that river near your gaff!

Ah, this is a house in Cardiff. I'm only here 2 days a week and it seems like the mice have taken over while I've been away :P

STEAL! ;)

Tried that, managed to win over one cat who comes into the garden occassionally, but it has no interest in coming into the house.

Don't be gay with all the humane fairy lights and softly softly gently gently. They're vermin, and spread like them.

Proper traps are the only thing I've used that worked, the extra strong ones.

I think you're right. Reading the reviews for this bait, it sounds like its crap. I think I'll get some proper traps.

Catch it and bring it with the next time you go to visit someone. Or put it though a window of someone you don't like :P

I don't really like killing them especially after getting woken up by my grandma showing off the mouse she caught somewhere that night.. at my bed. >.>

Edited by Hopping_Topsy

I have a mouse trap set in my room all the time during autumn/winter. Better to get rid of rodents before they settle in. I'd recommend you do the same especially if you only stay there during the weekends.

I've managed to catch a few field mice in the past using U-Matic tapes which we have plenty of. I just build a wall around the corner or piece of furniture the mouse is hiding under and then one by one start removing objects from within that area. Umatic tapes are pretty massive and work perfectly for this purpose, normal VHS probably wouldn't because the mouse would just jump over them. Although if you're dealing with Fat Albert then that might not be the case.

There's this mouse trap my Dad uses, it's like this but see through (see image below). You put bait in at the far end, it walks in and then it's stuck.

So if you're only there 2 days a week... Why not buy a couple of these and scatter them about in the most common places the mouse may be, then leave it for 5 days. Humane but effective. :)

ct2764.jpg

Get some filler and seal all the holes cracks ect and any way to get out from the floor or whatever other places you have for the guest to hide/live as remember a mouse can fit through a hole the size of a pen so I've been told. This way you will eventually starve him to death and Maybe others or if you seal him out you'll be seeing a lot more of him allowing you to whack the little bugger with a cricket bat or the like if you quick enough of course :P

There are also little black boxes that emit a odour that will entice the mouse into entering then as soon as the mouse enters the mouse will be electrocuted causing sudden death. But this is last resort as imo chasing a mouse with a bat trying to smash it one sounds rather fun.

I'm pressuring you haven't got any pets ect as there are little devices the size of a fire detector that let of ultra sonic waves which sends mice mad with the mice having very.sensitive hearing so they will steer clear of.your house. Actually this could.probably get rid of your current resident if the bat fails.

Just read that the poison can cause a lot of problems and can cost a considerable amount of wonga because if he runs of and dies in a un accessible place it says the rat will smell rather bad because of the poison when he rots away.

Edited by bike_dummie

I'm pressuring you haven't got any pets ect as there are little devices the size of a fire detector that let of ultra sonic waves which sends mice mad with the mice having very.sensitive hearing so they will steer clear of.your house. Actually this could.probably get rid of your current resident if the bat fails.

And cats, and dogs, other animals, even some kids... (I used to hear those stupid things people have in their garden. Sill do sometimes.. >.<)

Edited by Hopping_Topsy

Completely unhelpful, but we were riding Llandegla the other day, and as crazy as it sounds, I've never seen a mouse in real life before.

A woodmouse ran right across the trail underneath me. They're too f**king cute. So glad I didn't smoosh it.

• Like 3

Get some filler and seal all the holes cracks ect and any way to get out from the floor or whatever other places you have for the guest to hide/live as remember a mouse can fit through a hole the size of a pen so I've been told. This way you will eventually starve him to death and Maybe others or if you seal him out you'll be seeing a lot more of him allowing you to whack the little bugger with a cricket bat or the like if you quick enough of course :P

There are also little black boxes that emit a odour that will entice the mouse into entering then as soon as the mouse enters the mouse will be electrocuted causing sudden death. But this is last resort as imo chasing a mouse with a bat trying to smash it one sounds rather fun.

Just read that the poison can cause a lot of problems and can cost a considerable amount of wonga because if he runs of and dies in a un accessible place it says the rat will smell rather bad because of the poison when he rots away.

There's quite a few holes the mouse can use to get into the ceiling and into rooms. As Muel (was it muel?) said I fear that he'd just make more holes!

I was just thinking about those electronic things. I don't have any cats or anything, so I might just get one. Heard mixed reviews but it can't harm :)

A good old mouse trap and put a bit of mars bar on it as bait. Works a treat. Put a few traps round the place.

I think I'm going to have to do this. The little b*****d came into my room 4 times last night, kept me awake for about 3 hours (it takes me ages to go from 'awake' to 'asleep'). The fourth time I emptied my room of everything apart from my bed - luckily I don't have too much stuff in there anyway. Each time I saw him, he'd run along the skirting board and literally disappear. There was one hole that he could have been using, but i squashed some foil into there after the first time, so god knows where he was going.

I swear seeing the same mouse 6 times in as many hours is unusual. Normally you catch a glimpse of one, and that's it.

• Like 1