Post a pic of your non trials bike

Bucky

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I swapped over to rigid forks, higher rise stem, lighter wheels, modified narrow wide ring to fit the XTR cranks, suspension seat post (genuinely impressed with it), 9 speed with wide ratio cassette and some fresh bar tape. This thing is a really comfy mile muncher now. I probably will get a proper gravel bike at some point but I'm in no rush

2021-08-21_10_43_16.thumb.jpg.03f52be10cfabf7194b71017f9ef3afb.jpg

• Like 2

On 22/08/2021 at 0:55 PM, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Beaut! No need for a gravel bike I reckon, that looks brilliant.

I'm chuffed with it but the problem is I'm limited on tyre clearance and I'd really like the option of a larger tyre for winter. I'm getting tempted to make my own frame again, it's just being realistic about finding the time to do it!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't use this bike as much these days. Since starting a new job further away from home, I no longer cycle to work. So I decided to give single speed a try.

I took it for a spin this afternoon and it certainly added some spice to a short, regular loop. It was hard work, but I managed all the hills (which are plentiful where I live).

Gear ratio is 34:18, as that's what I had in my spare parts box. Luckily, that actually seems about right for me at the moment. But as I get stronger/fitter, I would like to make it a bit harder, as it does spin out on the flats.

Only thing that I'm not happy with at the moment is the chain tensioner, as it fairly noisy. Everything looks straight, but it sounds disgusting.

IMG_2259.thumb.jpeg.39ad84a6efae56fe98191655036f4c0e.jpeg

• Like 3

Installed a dropper to the fatbike, obviously the saddle bag had to go so I found a frame bag that fits the triangle perfectly. Took it for a test spin on the most technical trail in riding distance called Stone Age. Yes, that rock it's leaning against is part of the trail, no, I didn't make it over.

fatbikenew.jpg

20211027-151726.jpg

20211027-151719.jpg

Just waiting on olives and inserts for the brake lines to shorten those a little but otherwise its done, final spec is..

5010C XL

Lyrik Ultimates 160mm/Fox Float EVOL dps

Hope enduro wheelset on Maxxis  Aggressors

Shimano XT/SLX drivetrain mix

Raceface Ride crankset

Raceface turbine stem and NextR carbon bars

SLX 4pt 180mm front, SLX 2pt 180mm rear

Brand X XL ascent 200mm dropper with Charge Spoon saddle

Rides so nice, it's super light (love to get a weight) and super fun. Really can't wait to get out this weekend.

• Like 5

Went a good 15 mile trail loop last night around pines and can confirm it's one of the funnest bikes, just turns everything into a jump or a huck :lol: It climbs lovely too, admittedly it's the first big tooth cassette I've had so climbing was helped along there too. Properly impressed, might give it a year and upgrade to the 2021/22 frame.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

20211212-163529.jpg

Got the 5010 V4 built yesterday and had a full session at cannock on it yesterday, rode the local jump lines/trail/pump track today and I absolutley love it, exactly what i signed up for.

Climbs so nicely and never really felt out of travel at 130 on the rear. Desperately need to drop the lyriks to 140 though, front end kept wandering on cardiac hill :lol:

I know slack head angles, long, low etc etc all makes it a bit vague but surely my 1080mm wheelbase intense with a high BB (face it, it's a BMX with 26" wheels and suspension) should loop out easier!

The switchback climb up lower cliff at Cannock should be a nightmare for you :biggrin:

edit: or is it the silly pie plate large sprocket giving you silly ratio and therefore loads of torque to hoist the front wheel at every opportunity? I guess my 32:36 gearing keeps the power going backwards not upwards.

Edited by forteh

12 hours ago, forteh said:

edit: or is it the silly pie plate large sprocket giving you silly ratio and therefore loads of torque to hoist the front wheel at every opportunity? I guess my 32:36 gearing keeps the power going backwards not upwards.

Almost certainly - when I went from an old style cassette to one with a cheater gear it was genuinely comical how light the front end suddenly became every time I shifted down :laugh:

• 1 month later...

I may have gone full retard... Not sure on the colour but fancied a change so here we go. Still the same medium 2015 Whyte T130 Works SCR, bought with Chris King Hubs etc. Now single speeded with a home made XD setup using waterjet cut spacers and the lockring from a dead XD cassette; mini MX handguards with 3D printed brackets that hang off the SRAM Matchmaker jobbies and integrating the dropper post lever on the left; trying out some of these thumb grip things for fire road grinding (Aliexpress specials for £3 rather than the expensive 'proper' ones). Still waiting on some desert camo decals for the forks and shock. It's a bit special...

P1210836.thumb.JPG.599f7dfc89b302b6bfb3748c73bdd127.JPG

P1210837.thumb.JPG.f68f5424be6929634f587a129827a81f.JPG

P1210838.thumb.JPG.8b370c1305e92d7a1908da42cd327a6d.JPG

P1210841.thumb.JPG.418d2edf6e8f39bbdae4613456f74eb6.JPG

P1210844.thumb.JPG.5bd9c68d99411286078acab2e030fb5c.JPG

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Tom Booth said:

Nice! Looks good Dave, do you find the rear mudguard does much? Contemplating something similar for mine but really all I can see it doing is protecting the linkage :lol: 

It does pick up a lot of crud so it definitely does something. If it prolongs the life of the bearings and stops quite so much crap getting stuck by the BB then it's worth it!