Remember When?

Al_Fel

Ah memories.. I see DCDs have already been mentioned (the pictures of a bike a couple pages back with a 'ging' reminded me) - found my old one the other day actually. Self modified to fit square chain stays and a welsh flag painted on it, as I seem to remember the mart(i/y)ns having a brisish flag on theirs. My memory is patchy..

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone remeber the bullet brothers things that kept your rear mech from bouncing about......now they are cool

Also Avid Rolla Majigs - you know them things that help your shifting that hang of the back of your mech asking for a smashing- for some reason a load of lads round my way used to have them, when do you need such a smooth shifting gear setup for trials that you buy one of them?!?

One last thing that again seemed popular round my area was massive DH seats on trials bikes....makes no sense.

post-17268-1205321296_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ash1984

Lol, that was new school!

x517 front with mythos came in a while after the d521/kujo front and rear thing.

I have a mythos xc on a x517 on the front of my bike :D

Got an old kujo and el gato in the bike cupboard, might put the kujo on the front tonight :)

IRC El Gato / Kujo were the nuts.

If you didnt have HS33 brakes you were not cool.

The chain stayed put when you rolled your bike along...

Things looked much bigger.

Sponsorship was a thing world championship riders had.

4 bolt mounts

Taps .... huh, you hit the wall you crazy?

Hooks ..... errr we fishing today?

list goes on, good thread :rolleyes:

Think I started wanting to ride trials in about 1996, after buying MBUK, and seeing Ashton.

Didn't get a trials bike till I was about 13... I had a really shit bike my parents told me was a trials bike and I tried my damnedest, but all I could do was endos... :)

I've still got a blue one of those :)

Good lad (Y):D

I think this may be still popular looking at threads about 'whats the strongest part' etc - people boasting about the amount of things they have smashed to bits, if you havn't cracked a frame your not 'hardcore' etc etc. This was rife back in the day when trials bikes were 40lb+ and they were already hard enought to break (think handsone dog, kujos with motor bike innertubes, thick steel jump forks or even Marzocchi Z1's)

• 3 years later...

Hop idol! I was actually jn that first one. Was awful. Giles wolfe, barry deeks ( what happened to him ) and steve behr came to ramsgate and shot us. It was pissing down by the end. Stefan tried fishing off a telephone box and smashed into the ground. I couldn't ride the section for shit, the up dan peppin did was about half the published height but tom newbold won, rode bike and came second but got on the team as the winner was considered a universal benny. We got that by chance as i bought some grimeca discs of giles which bust so i rang him for spares and he said he wanted to do a shoot down here. Nxt year i dj'd the mad stand with tom riding whilst on a constant supply of red bull. I think we battered saracens ceo that night to with plastic bottles (with rob weaver who'd wandered round dribbling holding anybodys hand all day playing the partof a window licker) a south african guy that said spares so it sounded like spears.

That was about the time xtort and xcels were trials frames with use tfi forks. If i can find the mag i'll post pics

Use tfi's. I think everyone wanted them because they were so bloody expensive. They flexed and creaked like mad, i liked them on my pashley but think they would be hated today.

Ah, the good old days when a hope 36 eng hub was unreal

Edited by murph82

I remember the MBUK issue that was precided over by the martins. Chris Akrigg's pace with hope C2 brakes with trick solid "wave" disc rotors (way before everybody else started making them), El gato tyres, misson 48 spoke trials wheels, ryan leech busting his top tube with his nuts in 'evolve', brisa B20's, power pros, hope mono hubs being the in thing with "well off" riders, cannondale fatty r's, koolstop reds, Eddie tongue, Jeff lenosky's front hops with rock shox. Happy times.

Edited by bender b rodreguez

I remember the MBUK issue that was precided over by the martins. Chris Akrigg's pace with hope C2 brakes with trick solid "wave" disc rotors (way before everybody else started making them), El gato tyres, misson 48 spoke trials wheels, ryan leech busting his top tube with his nuts in 'evolve', brisa B20's, power pros, hope mono hubs being the in thing with "well off" riders, cannondale fatty r's, koolstop reds, Eddie tongue, Jeff lenosky's front hops with rock shox. Happy times.

This is making me really pine for my old pashley anybody got one or something similar? Gonna go watch tricks and stunts now

Remember when:

Trials bikes had seats

Everyone went up (and down) to bash

Competiton entries were about 100 riders

Brakes didnt work

Monty brake spray

Cesar Canas and Ot Pi came to ride a Thriftwood Essex comp because it was so good!! - I dont even remember this but i know it happened