Whats Conventional Trials Or "Tgs" Like On A 24"

Davetrials

I can ride my Inspired just fine. With the stiffer gearing I can actually backwheel and gap better than with the lighter trials gearing... Sidehops are fine too. Probably would be better on a stupid light Koxx Sky or whatever but I get on just fine. Start to struggle doing proper comps but still have fun :D.

From having a bash on one or two inspireds...and using my zoot for a while I'd say don't do it.... they're very cramped, and I found it pretty hard to get anywhere near the level of riding I could attain on my Koxx :) But that's just my experience.....I'm sure Ali C will be in here shortly to tell you how versatile a frame the Inspired is.

Ali hates 24s, so maybe not, haha. My Echo's pretty handy for trialsy stuff, although I'm more street-orientated. Stan bosses the purer trials side of things on his Echo. More so when he had a disc on the back than now when he's brakeless, but it was still capable. It's obviously not as good as a 'proper' trials bike though. It pretty much comes down to working out what you/your friend spend more time doing, then buying the frame to suit the majority rather than the minority.

Ali hates 24s, so maybe not, haha. My Echo's pretty handy for trialsy stuff, although I'm more street-orientated. Stan bosses the purer trials side of things on his Echo. More so when he had a disc on the back than now when he's brakeless, but it was still capable. It's obviously not as good as a 'proper' trials bike though. It pretty much comes down to working out what you/your friend spend more time doing, then buying the frame to suit the majority rather than the minority.

This ^

Should be stickied.

Forgive the crude graph...but it pretty much speaks for itself. As someone who isnt that in the know about such things, is this the case?

gallery_24670_2114_1443.jpg

Just from what ive read over the last however long on here, 20" and 26" seem to be the optimum size?

wrong, you cant do trials on a bmx or a downhill bike can you, its all about the geo of the thing, 24's are shorter and lower so there fliky and easier to handle on two wheels making them harder to do more 'trials' related stuff

Edited by WIGAN

wrong, you cant do trials on a bmx or a downhill bike can you, its all about the geo of the thing, 24's are shorter and lower so there fliky and easier to handle on two wheels making them harder to do more 'trials' related stuff

I think its pretty clear that I am not refering to a downhill bike or BMX. With your response, I assume a longer and higher 24" will be suitable for "trials" related stuff? Is the whole argument about geometry and not wheel size?

People ought to stop calling 24"s bad for trials without sufficient experience.

At the very least, consider this - if you're a 20" rider, you'll probably suck on a 26". If you're a 26" rider, you'll probably suck on a 20". So why is 24" any different?

I think that my 24" doesn't suck, but then again, I've been riding trials on a 24" for a good while now.

Of course you can. It's just more difficult. I used to do it for fun, pretty sure a more powerful rider like Damon or TRA could sidehop such a thing quite high off the ground.

People are too focused on what the definition of trials is. At the end of the day, it's still the same sport it was 25 years ago but instead of having a log and muddy hill on the course, you've got large obstacles which actually take some trials-specific skills to challenge.

Just from what ive read over the last however long on here, 20" and 26" seem to be the optimum size?

No, I've seen a cumshot make a more meaningful line graph than that.

24" trials bikes are not only street oriented anymore, so if that's what you're getting at it's true that street bikes aren't as good as pure trials bikes at trials that's obvious. But now we have 24" trials oriented bikes that can't be said anymore.

If 20" sized wheels and 26" sized wheels are both fine for riding, then everything in between will be fine too (providing the geo and components and scaled down too). That's why when I hear people saying how 24" trials oriented bikes will be "harder to tap than a stock, but not as maneuverable than a mod" I just think it's crazy that they don't think about how it's also going to be more maneuverable than a stock but tap better than a mod. We may even find that 24" is more of an (or closer to) optimum wheel size and find that it becomes more popular than mods and stocks in comps and high level riding combined in a few years. :)

No, I've seen a cumshot make a more meaningful line graph than that.

I cant see how the meaning from such a graph can not make sence? I think the point made from it is very clear

For one, dont shoot the messenger...I did state that I was purely taking what I read on here. A graph like that is as much to make a point to those claiming one wheel size is better than another for x,y and z reasons.

Over the last few months ive seen countless comments about "trials riding" on a 24" bike, and how its not up there with mod or stock. It made me wonder (hence the graph) what a theoretical 21" 22" etc would feel like, and why there seems to be this dip in the middle

Over the last few months ive seen countless comments about "trials riding" on a 24" bike, and how its not up there with mod or stock.

Mostly by people who have barely ridden a 24".

Monkeyseemonkeydo rides one, he's ridden his inspired in comps, and he gets along just fine with it.

Mostly by people who have barely ridden a 24".

Monkeyseemonkeydo rides one, he's ridden his inspired in comps, and he gets along just fine with it.

Yup. I'm still running a 90mm by 20 degree stem and cut down bars as well!

pbpic1971418.jpg

Pedal up to back, no tap and not even any Skins... for trials and street trials it's the most comfortable bike I've ever owned. Not quite as easy for real comp stuff of course but it's not impossible and I can usually give most a run for their money!!

Lets be honest trials specific 24" bikes are a pretty new plus the majority of 24" bikes out there at the moment aren't used for "proper" trials so i don't think it's fair to say that 24" wheeled bikes aren't any good for trials. A lot of it is down to set up and compromising on what you want to do with the bike. I'm sure you could set up any 24" bike to be a lot better for "proper" trials but would lose out on the spinny, techy side. Plus there is the style and technique you have to ride with, a combination of 20" and 26" riding styles; they may not be as good for taps but you can bunny hop them a lot more easily than a 26". Basically its down to set-up and adapting your technique to the bike.

so ive heard (Y)

it makes sence that for each "trials" move, there is an optimum wheel size as JD said...(optimum in terms of what is achieveable, personal preference obviously still plays a big part)

(no shooting me down here, i am just wondering as a beginner 24" rider with no experience of mod/stock!)

in terms of geometry within the "stock" genre at least, there seems to be a large range of frames available with varying geometries. Ive heard a few people talk about the large differences in feel between one frame and another and state their personal preferences of what bb rise, length etc would be ideal for them...

so im wondering if within the 24" genre, the inspired (for example) is the equivalent of a stock with slightly more extreme geometry that some people will obviously not warm to, or whether it falls into a different catagory altogether if you get me?

Ha, these topics always make me laugh. The current crop of 24's still have miles more Trials friendly geometry than the older style of trials bikes we used to ride, The orange Zero's, Leesons, Megamo's were all probably shorter back then than any of the current 24" frames. I don't see why anyone cares to be honest, and the people I keep hear saying they are useless in competitions must be daft, I reckon Chris Akrigg would still be winning stuff on his old pace in todays competitions!

I ride a 24" because I really don't like the really long frames as a do it all bike, to me the 24" are a much better compromise between then two.

Over the last few months ive seen countless comments about "trials riding" on a 24" bike, and how its not up there with mod or stock. It made me wonder (hence the graph) what a theoretical 21" 22" etc would feel like, and why there seems to be this dip in the middle

Yes, the problem is that last year there was no 24" trials bikes that didn't have a geo for street BMXy kind of riding. It's really got nothing to do with the wheels size it just happened to be that 24" wheels were on bikes that were designed street riding which kind of his half trials and half BMX. Now we're seeing 24" wheels on bikes with the same geometry range as mods and stocks. So to say 24" wheeled bike are no good for trials is certainly not right. Saying 24" trials bikes aren't as good for pure trials would have been an acceptable statement in 2009, but is now unacceptable in 2010 due to the new range of 24" frames.

Theoretically any wheel size between 20" and 26" would be just fine for trials. A 22" trials bike would have 33% of the advantages of a stock and 66% of the advantages of a mod.