Beats By Dre

angua

I'm hopefully getting a pair of Dre headphones for Christmas, needing some more information on them such as, what are the pros and cons? What ones are best value for money or if there is anything i should know about them and if anyone knows any reliable but cheaper places to get them could you please let me know. Not wanting the parents too spend a lot.

Thanks, Angus.

I could rant all day about the Beats by Dre / Monster Cable brand.

As far as sound quality is concerned, for the Beats Studio at least, you're paying roughly double what you should be paying for an equivalent set of headphones from a respectable brand. Build quality is poor for the price (£280!) and I know several people who have snapped their pairs in half. Also, the 'studio' moniker is largely BS - all Beats products have a bass heavy EQ which makes them fairly pointless for serious monitoring. They're not bad though for general listening, so people who've never listened to a decent pair of headphones before will probably be impressed. If you care about the noise cancellation, you can do far better for less money.

This is coming from the parent brand Monster Cable, whose business model is dependent on consumer naivety to flog them unnecessarily expensive HDMI cables.

If you're looking a for a good value set of hi-fi headphones, look elsewhere. If you care about your headphones more as a fashion accessory, then they might be for you.

I can't comment on any of their in-ear phones...

Edited by konstant

As far as sound quality is concerned, for the Beats Studio at least, you're paying roughly double what you should be paying for an equivalent set of headphones from a respectable brand. Build quality is poor for the price (£280!) and I know several people who have snapped their pairs in half. Also, the 'studio' moniker is largely BS - all Beats products have a bass heavy EQ which makes them fairly pointless for serious monitoring. They're not bad though for general listening, so people who've never listened to a decent pair of headphones before will probably be impressed. If you care about the noise cancellation, you can do far better for less money.

This is coming from the parent brand Monster Cable, whose business model is dependent on consumer naivety to flog them unnecessarily expensive HDMI cables.

If you're looking a for a good value set of hi-fi headphones, look elsewhere. If you care about your headphones more as a fashion accessory, then they might be for you.

Finally someone agrees!

I've been ranting about how it's just a designer brand with marketing that tricks you into believing they're good.

Same as Skull Candy headphones - how some people really think they sound nice is beyond me.

This.

This.

I'm relieved that there's some agreement on here.

I've been ranting about how it's just a designer brand with marketing that tricks you into believing they're good.

YES. Their whole business model is based on deception. It makes me furious.

Friends don't let friends buy Beats headphones.

My concern is why would you want to pay for a name n a look? When you can get something in terms of spec similar for way less than there expensive prices.

With me working studios part of my music tech degree i'm use to listening to sound through active monitors and occasionaly some sennheiser hd212pro's

• 3 weeks later...

Finally someone agrees!

Same as Skull Candy headphones - how some people really think they sound nice is beyond me.

And finally, someone who agree's with me!!

I have heard nothing but bad things about Beats.

I don't care much for amazing quality headphones, I always assumed headphones is headphones, until my mate made me listen to something through his Sennheiser phones (I couldn't tell you what model) the other week and I was speechless at how good they are! :o

I had a couple of them.

I can honestly say the sound is good but Skull Candy does sound as good. Oh P. Diddy headphones and it broke the mic doesnt work very well and only one side works same as my lady gaga ones.

My P. Diddy lasted roughly around 2 months and my Lady Gaga lasted 6 weeks.

Skull Candy has lasted almost 1 year and 3 months. The reason why I buy these headphones is that £9.99 from TKMAX and if you don't want to go to TKMAX then HMV £19.99 I think.

Edited by Oak T

The only good thing about the skullcandys are that they have a "unlimited" warranty. You buy them once, and then the cable connector breaks in you pocket after about 3 months and you can fetch new ones in the shop.

Other than that and the amount of different colours I'd say that that they don't have much advantages. And if beats really aren't any better, I'd forget about those too!

I had a couple of them.

My P. Diddy lasted roughly around 2 months and my Lady Gaga lasted 6 weeks.

Do you just buy anything that has someone's name stamped on them?!

Oh, and I think the Dr Dre ones look fairly cool but f**k paying that kind of money. I also don't like Dr Dre so that puts me off. I find it weird the whole famous person branded stuff, like David Beckham aftershave.. I don't wanna smell like Beckham!