Saving Some Weight.

dann2707

Hey. I've recently got my bike up riding again, loving it however it does still feel pretty heavy-ish. More so at the back end. Front is pretty light.

Any ideas which parts I could replace, or which are weighing the most to reduce some extra flab?

Spec is:

Frame - Onza Comp 2010

Fork - Echo Urbans 20"

Front Rim - Atomz front rim on Viz non disk hub

Rear Rim - Echo TR 19" on echo TR disk hub

Tyres - Front tyre - Maxxis creeper crawler. Rear tyre - maxxis creeper crawler 2.5"

Bottom bracket - Onza cheap jobby from eBay.

Cranks - Echo TR

Freewheel - Echo SL 108

Bashring - Echo half ring

Pedals - DMR v8

Headset - Firstblog Z

Stem - Bonz

Handlebars - Tensile risers.

Grips - Trialtech Foams

Front Brake - Avid sd7 calipers, tektro lever, LGM pads

Rear Brake - HS33 oil bled with 4 finger lever, heatsink yellow pads, SL booster, Echo clamps

Chain - KMC Z610 HX, 3/32"

6364620835_489510e652_b.jpg

Oh and not really interested in replies that go "just get out and ride" it's more of a research thing as to whats weighing me down!

Edited by dann2707

Stop worrying about your bike, and ride it.

It's actually rather nice.

If it was mine, I would only change minor things like bar angles and the amount of lever action.

Seriously - just get on with it.

If I had to throw money at it, I'd say some Try-All tyres - but that's it.

• Like 1

Single cage pedals, Stiky Lite rear, Small Block 8 front would be the main weight savers.

...But single cage pedals are pretty snap happy (either the cage or arms), Stiky Lites are dear as f**k (especially for how quick they wear), and Block 8s are absolute shite (for grip and puncture resistance).

I suppose you could always go for a shave and a dump before every ride? I guess that may make a small difference tongue.gif

I've seen you say this more than once and the result is the same, it's still not funny.

Dan why not cut every other nobble off your rear tyre? Shouldn't affect grip much but it'll shave some weight.

• Like 2

Just a quick 5 minutes on Tarty and a spreadsheet and if you bought the following:

Tryall stiky lite (888g)

Onza Pro Diamond (383g)

Trialtech Sport Lite (214g)

Wellgo MG1 (362g)

You'd be saving about 587g. That's a whole chunk of weight, you could save more but the parts chosen represented what I considered the best cost:weight saved ratio.