Getbreakfast

1a2bcio8

Ahoy,

Another video but this time with a mixture of clips some of which I wanted to use for that illusive 'proper' video but decided, on the shortcomings of the filming, exposure, white balance, etc. that I would just get rid of them.

My videos in the future, I hope, will possess a greater production value. I'm actually starting to grasp manual settings now; I've got a glidecam and I've got a few lenses to play around with. I've also managed to recruit a non-riding friend as a dedicated filmer. I'm really looking forward to maybe getting that illusive video done >_<

Video is still waiting to convert but I'm popping out so thought I'd sort this first.

Enjoy!

Edited by Ben Rowlands
  • Like 1

That is JUST what I needed for tomorrows ride.

The only reason you don't take the place of "my favourite rider" is that you're pure street, and I love a bit of TGS.

That means you take joint first with John Webster ^_^

Awesome video, and I'm glad you used Jel. I'd forgotten all about him, off for a listen :D

Footage side of it was just as good as the riding (180ing that rail?! WHAT.)

I'm actually starting to grasp manual settings now; I've got a glidecam and I've got a few lenses to play around with.

That's cool to hear (Y) Having that control definitely opens up more possibilities - I think once you properly get to grips with it all you'll find it much better. I'm still way off getting that, but even just being able to get clips to look how you want using white balancing, presets and so on is cool, and if you know that the footage should look good once it's done I find that helps take some of the pressure off. Speaking of pressure - I don't think you really need to put it on yourself so much to get a 'proper' video out there. Your riding's clearly good (and clearly improving/progressing too, which is good to see), so I don't think you need to worry so much about getting a kind of landmark video done or anything. I really enjoyed all the little GET videos you've done in the past year or so because they all show you upping things riding and video wise each time, and that's fundamentally just good to see. It goes without saying I enjoyed this video too :P

Thanks for all the kind words. They're very encouraging :)

I normally hate slow motion footage, but you pulled it off quite nicely. Seemed to work.

The lines themselves are sick, some real bangers in there.

There are also some lines in there that I have written down on my 'things to do' list haha!

When I use the slow-mo I'm almost always listening to the needs of the music. What I value most in editing is getting the tunage and visuals to have a coordinated dance together and sometimes slow-mo, to me, definitely seems suitable :)

That's cool to hear (Y) Having that control definitely opens up more possibilities - I think once you properly get to grips with it all you'll find it much better. I'm still way off getting that, but even just being able to get clips to look how you want using white balancing, presets and so on is cool, and if you know that the footage should look good once it's done I find that helps take some of the pressure off. Speaking of pressure - I don't think you really need to put it on yourself so much to get a 'proper' video out there. Your riding's clearly good (and clearly improving/progressing too, which is good to see), so I don't think you need to worry so much about getting a kind of landmark video done or anything. I really enjoyed all the little GET videos you've done in the past year or so because they all show you upping things riding and video wise each time, and that's fundamentally just good to see. It goes without saying I enjoyed this video too :P

You can definitely see the differences between clips in that video which I've used manual settings on; particularly the white balance. Actually it was after seeing the warmth and quality of your shots on the tour that I partly became motivated to understand manual settings - so thanks for that. Prior to that I'd been very lazy about it all.

With regards to the proper video, my need for it is mostly about myself and my perfectionism; also how I set targets which motivate my daily riding. I pretty much have a video edited in my head consisting of the lines where I'm riding at my limits both technically and dangerously. It pretty much ignores other people although I wouldn't try to say that I don't enjoy being appreciated by people but my first thoughts are always around how I can make something that satisfies my, I hope, realistic imagination :P

My main problem with getting this video sorted is not having a dedicated filmer. I really hate asking people in the midst of their rides to film me. Although I do do that I just don't do it very much and when people are filming, I put loads of pressure on myself and tend to ride really badly. My non-riding friend actually wants to film me for enjoyment so that will hopefully allow me the space to get done what I want.

I also want it to be consistent in production quality. No dead looking colours, too much camera wobble, etc. These things are all achievable given the right amount of time and effort.

You can definitely see the differences between clips in that video which I've used manual settings on; particularly the white balance. Actually it was after seeing the warmth and quality of your shots on the tour that I partly became motivated to understand manual settings - so thanks for that. Prior to that I'd been very lazy about it all.

Set the White Balance to Cloudy: job done :P It's amazing how much difference stuff like that really makes. I always found the normal Canon WB to be a bit 'cold' in that sense, so yeah, I basically just stick that bitch on Cloudy most of the time. If it's really weird lighting I'll set up the custom white balance, but yeah, the preset white balancing options are pretty decent. No doubt you've worked all that out already though :)

I get what you mean about the whole sort of 'proper video' thing too - I've got a bunch of lines that I'd like to do around different places, and I think Ali's even gone to the trouble of making a secret Google maps thing loads of stuff to do on it. Hopefully it'll work out for you, but the main thing I was getting at was that you don't need to apologise to everyone if it doesn't quite get there...

Sweet video Ben! Loved the rail stuff.

If you're filming all year long you should try color grading. You can make smooth color transitions on post production even If your WB is diferent through the sequence. Check out Magic Bullet Colorista II or Color Finesse on AE.

This article may also help you on dslr filming setup.

And If you want to tweak your DSLR for better sensor preformance and useful options like exposure zebras, focus peaking, false color overlay, waveform monitor, bit-rate control, and a intervalometer for time lapse check out Magic Lantern Firm Ware. Forgot to say this will only work on t2i's,t3i's and 5D's.

Edited by Chaotic3vil

The style in that was mental! The manual roughly halfway through round the edge of the wall down, in front of it up onto a different wall to 360 off. (did that from memory, correct?) Either way it was bloody awesome, your riding really motivated me to go out and get better at street!

Edit: I was wrong, I got two clips mixed up.. both of them were great though :P

Edited by TrialsIsHard