Kony 2012

dannytrialskid

If you want one man dead, you need one man to do it. I don't know how people watch stuff like this and then don't think how much America spend on their military. Oddly enough they have some people who are pretty good at f**king shit up.

And people that don't give a shit until they see some 30 minute video, wake the f**k up. People are dying unjustly constantly, the world isn't fair, there's very little any of us can do. Unless one of us somehow slips into power in China or Russia.

• Like 4

I think none of us can judge this case since we all have care-free lives compared to what might be going on with these kids and their families in Uganda. I can't begin to imagine what it must be like but I'm pretty sure I'd want Kony dead.

he hasnt been in uganda for 7 years....

why are they still funding the ugandan military ?

i can smell it from here!

But why does it cost so much?

Yeah, should probably cut back those budgets. I'm pretty sure a person sitting outside somewhere in a cardboard box with a pencil and a sheet of paper could do the same job. Actually, you could probably cut costs more and not even give them the pencil and paper, just get them to think about it more. I mean, it's just thinking, how hard could it be?

I'm pretty sure a person sitting outside somewhere in a cardboard box with a pencil and a sheet of paper could do the same job. Actually, you could probably cut costs more and not even give them the pencil and paper, just get them to think about it more.

They could give them the pencil and just get them to write on the cardboard box surely?

• Like 2

People are dying unjustly constantly, the world isn't fair, there's very little any of us can do. Unless one of us somehow slips into power in China or Russia.

There's a lot we could do about it if we simply began to care enough and organised appropriately. It's just we don't care enough because we care about ourselves and our shiny technological toys and experiences considerably more. We could turn the UK into a power for 'good' or, something within closer reach, we could stop our government from selling arms to Africa. That potential is always there. It begins by caring enough so that you become informed so that you can organise appropriately so that you can change the direction of our 'democratic' government.

I don't mean to pick on you because the attitude you mentioned is common but it's the greatest self fulfilling prophecy there is. It's a shame.

There's a lot we could do about it if we simply began to care enough and organised appropriately. It's just we don't care enough because we care about ourselves and our shiny technological toys and experiences considerably more. We could turn the UK into a power for 'good' or, something within closer reach, we could stop our government from selling arms to Africa. That potential is always there. It begins by caring enough so that you become informed so that you can organise appropriately so that you can change the direction of our 'democratic' government.

I don't mean to pick on you because the attitude you mentioned is common but it's the greatest self fulfilling prophecy there is. It's a shame.

You mean we're, like, human?

I could be an astronaut in theory, and it's as likely to happen as humanity giving a toss about humanity.

Same story, not picking on you Ben. Just seemed like the right time for me to chime up because I don't want to reiterate the opinions already stated.

Remember those personality tests where you're supposed to be the realist and I'm the idealist?

The difference between your example and mine is that becoming an astronaut requires intelligence and physicality to a degree that is simply not attainable to some people. What I'm talking about requires capacities that everybody can attain if they were to put the effort in. Compassion is available to all (except maybe psychopaths for the pedants out there) and so is a base understanding of what's going on in the world. If people can understand the wrong interpretation of the world then they can understand the correct one. You only have to consider history to see epochs that shifted because of a change in the social conscience. Our current freedoms against the authoritarian potentials of the past and present elsewhere are often substantially based on people recognising what is right and acting upon that understanding. History totally supports what I'm saying. We haven't just reached some period where the chance to develop social conscience has stopped. So I'm not talking about an impossibility but I wouldn't claim that it's not difficult and that it doesn't go against the common tendency. The trouble is that the argument of being able to do nothing is very common and if all those who subscribed to it acted instead then we might be able to get somewhere. Remember, if realists had their way we wouldn't get anywhere; we would have no technology or science. Realists denied the idea of micro organisms and sterilisation around the process of surgery. The doctor that suggested such an idea even lost his title. Idealism does need to consider realism though otherwise we might imagine that all people could become astronauts. This situation is different albeit difficult because people are easily selfish creatures of habit.

edit: hopefully you'll read my edit before responding.

Edited by Ben Rowlands

You're absolutely right, of course. I suppose you could say my 'realism' on this subject comes from the data I have on the small subset of humanity that I know of - most of which couldn't do the right thing even of they wanted to. Knowing the right thing and being capable of doing it are totally different things... I guess I'm just 'happy' to let shit happen and do what I can for me and those around me.

Essentially: f**k this Kony shit. If we're gonna do something let's do it properly, and if not can everyone stop wasting bandwidth talking about it?

I just want to add that I think there's an insight to your realism. I think you correctly recognise the qualities of people in the present and how those qualities get in the way of what I'm talking about. The risk of this insight however is taking it to represent what's possible as though things are more fixed than they really are. As though the drug addict of now will be a drug addict of always.

I just want to add that I think there's an insight to your realism. I think you correctly recognise the qualities of people in the present and how those qualities get in the way of what I'm talking about. The risk of this insight however is taking it to represent what's possible as though things are more fixed than they really are. As though the drug addict of now will be a drug addict of always.

Thanks for that, but I think the example is flawed slightly. A drug 'recovered' drug addict is just a drug addict who doesn't take drugs any more. They will always have, or be afflicted in some way, but their addiction.

But that's a total tangent :) totally respect our little debate and we're basically on the same page, just different sides of it.

Thanks for that, but I think the example is flawed slightly. A drug 'recovered' drug addict is just a drug addict who doesn't take drugs any more. They will always have, or be afflicted in some way, but their addiction.

But that's a total tangent :) totally respect our little debate and we're basically on the same page, just different sides of it.

Pffft, that's semantics and doesn't effect my point :P

It also says something to me about your view of reality particularly in the sense of your realism. Existentialism argued about the transient nature of people. Nobody has a good or bad essence but rather people move through life sometimes being good and sometimes being bad. Even Kony will have done something good in his lifetime. It's just he's done so much bad stuff that it's easier to just say he's a bad man. If we apply your underlying presupposition about drug addiction to the idea of good and bad then we can only say that such and such is a bad person that just doesn't do bad any more. It suggests an essence, something fixed, rather than recognising people as a changing process that move in and out of different kinds of opposing being.

Furthermore, if we are being strict with our language usage, drug addict means somebody who is physically and psychologically dependent upon a drug. If somebody no longer takes that drug and cuts off their psychological and physical need then they are no longer a drug addict.

Sorry for the pedantry and need to continue debating. I'm ill at the moment, I've been stuck inside and I'm pretty bored. Relative to recent normal existence this is some exciting shit.

humans are human. always have been, always will be. get over it

There's scientific consensus that we are a product of our environment and experiences, which means human behaviour is not set in stone, our brain learns as it grows. Growing up in our society it's easy to see how we can be such assholes.

I'd be better at this debate if wasn't a laptop addict who'd left his laptop at home. But as someone who's grown up around drug and alcohol addicts I feel I can only base my thoughts on what I've seen - I don't, however, hold my opinions in such high regard to say they can't be wrong. All I know is that the addicts I know fight every single day to uphold their clean status. It's not what they want to do, most of the time, it's what they believe they should do.

I believe that the world is already pretty good, humanity is already good. Enough people do what they believe they should do enough of the time, rather than what they want to do. Good is good enough to be great, if you allow it to be. Striving for perfection is a great thing, but it can only lead to failure. You, me, everyone, will never achieve a perfect human race, so why not just revel in the contentment that we're as good as we are?

I have a thing on my office wall called the 'Done Manifesto'. One of the points it makes is 'treat everything as a draft, it helps to get it done', and another is 'pretending you're perfect is almost as good as being perfect, and that's close enough'. I think both can be applied here.

There's scientific consensus that we are a product of our environment and experiences, which means human behaviour is not set in stone, our brain learns as it grows. Growing up in our society it's easy to see how we can be such assholes.

99% humans are flawed. they're impressionable, naive, gullible and they love jumping on a bandwagon and feeling part of something.

it only takes one person with one belief to put that belief forward onto young impressionable less fortunate people, you give them all a common enemy to unite against. 'They' are the cause of all our misfortune! preach that the death of this common enemy will bring wealth and prosperity to the 'good' people and their families.

Arm your new followers and off you go, genocide city.

It's happened time and time again since time began, all the way up to today and through all classes of society.

there is nothing you can do stop this from happening, it's in human nature, you can't change what you are.

this is why i stick to my conclusion

humanity is flawed.