The Car Thread

MadManMike

Halfords, you'll pay a million pounds buy they're open...

I was there when they opened this morning to buy wax and they didn't stock the leads :( spent too long waxing the car so didn't have time anyway :P

Shiney enough?

CDC9FB14-557E-40A7-98E3-9888422880A3-286

Got the top off today (this photo was before wax)

EAE7C9EA-4E1B-45D8-88B1-581CD00A0ADC-286

Edited by Azarathal
  • Like 1

So here is my temporary car until mid June when the st3 has been built and delivered. It's an A-class amg sport edition a180

Comfort is amazing I love the interior

Engine is a diesel which happily gets 80mpg

Gearbox is WANK clutch 'hangs' when shifting quickly + 1-2-3 ratios suck.

IMG_20140309_171529_zpsft4glq3h.jpg

'UKDM hates you' represent!

DSC_0069_zpsfi7kso52.jpg

DSC_0068_zps7oz64ny4.jpg

Aviary_2014_03_09_05_56_23_upload_zps2s6

Aviary_2014_03_09_05_56_00_upload_zpsdil

Greetings get hunting for a 750 then ;) v12 power!

Edited by TROYston

This is what I'll be "competing" against on Saturday - a 450bhp Exige with serious aero and a really good driver behind the wheel. Frankly speaking, it's going to be a humiliation but I'm looking forward to seeing by how big a margin he wins overall.

Wrong attitude! Your driving is pretty darn good from some videos I've seen, I reckon you'll give him a run for his money.

Sort of the wrong attitude but just being realistic, haha. That thing will be twice the bhp/ton of Alex's car, and having driven a lowly (haha) 350bhp Exige on a track I can confirm there's pretty much f**k all with two seats that will touch it!

What Jardo said :P An almost stock RS Cup.

Car technology has progressed greatly in the last 20 years. Modern stock cars will be quicker than older, extensively modified cars in most cases and that's before you consider the Exige is 2x lighter, a lot more powerful and purpose built by Lotus to be a no compromise trackday monster. So a lot of us may be in love with 80's and 90's cars, but they're really no match for their modern equivalents.

• Like 1

The above is annoyingly true. modern cars really are hugely capable straight out of the box.

I had a few laps of Spa in the passengers seat of an RS250 cup last year, in the wet, and it was frankly crazy.

I was still quicker over a lap in the A3, but i was driving the bloody wheels off the thing and right on the edge, where in the megane, it felt like a sunday stroll!

Same goes for Jardo's new MX5 i drove on Sunday. What a bloody lovely car straight from the factory.

• Like 2

Sub £200 to get the EK roadworthy.

After that it's just cosmetic.

Picked up a front and rear bumper - £40 for the pair

They do need spraying to match the car, anyone know any decent body shops around the Keighley area?

Windscreen - £40 Fitting - £30

Uncles said he'll put it through its test for me for free too.

The above is annoyingly true. modern cars really are hugely capable straight out of the box.

I had a few laps of Spa in the passengers seat of an RS250 cup last year, in the wet, and it was frankly crazy.

I was still quicker over a lap in the A3, but i was driving the bloody wheels off the thing and right on the edge, where in the megane, it felt like a sunday stroll!

Same goes for Jardo's new MX5 i drove on Sunday. What a bloody lovely car straight from the factory.

The market has really tightened up though, and manufacturers are sourcing parts from well known companies rather than making their own/sub sourcing shit.

MX5 has Bilsteins and eibach roll bars as standard.

Megane has Brembos, Sachs dampers etc.

Fiats and Abarths have Koni FSD shocks as standard.

So in short, I think that manufacturers are spending money in the right places where they can do research and develop, and out sourcing key components where they don't need to.

All for the better if you ask me.

Does anyone have any experience with windscreen chips? I have 3 tiny <1mmx1mm chips in my screen. Not an issue in terms of cracking but annoy me on a bright day. Are they too small to repair? Do places charge per chip? If they can be repaired does it make them less visible? Cheers

I've used one of these before: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-Windscreen-Windshield-Repair-Kit-Glass-Chip-Crack-Repair-System-/170810090618?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27c513247a - it did actually work! They were less visible afterwards.

Edit: In fact that kit looks a fair bit better than the one I used, so should get a really good result.

Can anyone give me me a good example of how to work out torque multiplication?

For example, how i could work out:

Engine speed is 1000RPM

Gear ratio is = 2.1.1

Final drive ratio is 4:1

I need to be able to work out the propeller shaft speed and wheel speed

That isn't a question i need for an exam paper, but a question off a mock test to prepare us for tomorrows exam :(

Thank you to anyone that can help!!

Can anyone give me me a good example of how to work out torque multiplication?

For example, how i could work out:

Engine speed is 1000RPM

Gear ratio is = 2.1.1

Final drive ratio is 4:1

I need to be able to work out the propeller shaft speed and wheel speed

That isn't a question i need for an exam paper, but a question off a mock test to prepare us for tomorrows exam :(

Thank you to anyone that can help!!

Engine speed / gear ratio = prop speed (1000/2.1 = 476.2rpm)

Prop speed / final drive ratio = wheel speed (476.2/4 = 119rpm)

For torque, multiply rather than dividing.

Also, for anyone interested in engines, this is a cool concept:

http://pixelbark.com/13045/how-the-duke-engines-increases-the-efficiency-of-the-internal-combustion-engine

Not sure if it'll be of much use in cars, but it's really cool to see blue-sky ideas and new ways of doing things like that being developed in an industry where it's all too easy to assume the only means of progress is refinement of the current methods.

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 2