The Car Thread

MadManMike

A friend of mine in Southampton used to drive a Capri until it destroyed his license, and when we stopped to get petrol once some weird old dude came up to me as I waited by the car and started asking if we put sandbags over the rear axles or not. Got plenty of looks/chat courtesy of that car.

Can't be long 'til mine starts to take a shine to my clean license either... Have had the same old men asking about the bags of cement etc, and telling me that I will be killed if I don't carry some.

What kinda new whip are you after?

Something:

- Cheap 'cos it's just going to get f**ked by constant bike and/or human loading/unloading

- Hatchback-y/Estate-y so I can fit stuff in it

- Diesel-y

- With a reasonable sized engine for the millions of motorway miles I do

- That won't look like it's on fire in every time I stop

- That will be willing to turn in a direction of my choosing, at any time, without complaint

- That isn't going to be hassle to maintain/fix if anything breaks

Basically :P Said friend with the Capri had to ditch driving for a bit, but when he was allowed to again he got a f**king sweet M3. Some people never learn ;)

Mongdeo would be a good shout, the estates are properly hugely huge though.

In SUPEREXCITEDNEWS, I just found the owner of my dad's Capri again after we lost touch for nearly 4 years - currently trying to arrange a meet with him. Oh lawd.

• Like 1

Haha, that's insane. What are they meant for, a 20 ton dumper truck!?

Sounds like it :P Probably for GTR cars though.

Went to the workshop which will remove some 250-50 and 180-70 springs off a racing M3 for me, saw this in the parking lot:

Kk00aH4.jpg

ORjV8sY.jpg

Seems like an ordinary M3 until you look at the instrument cluster.

UdbSwZ6.jpg

• Like 2

In SUPEREXCITEDNEWS, I just found the owner of my dad's Capri again after we lost touch for nearly 4 years - currently trying to arrange a meet with him. Oh lawd.

Can't believe no-one said anything yet! How did you manage to find him?

Can't believe no-one said anything yet! How did you manage to find him?

Googled his oldskoolford username, one of the results ended up being someone on a retro bmx forum! been e-mailing him all afternoon, should be meeting up over easter. The car's been sat in his garage for 15 years after getting rebuilt and covering about 500 miles.

• Like 2

Jardo, I was wondering what had replaced the derv A3. Type R? Also, strikes me as a little ironic after your ranting about turbo's earlier in the week! haha. They do look like fun. As said, get some pictures up.

Skoze. Awesome, that is all!

Oh, and I went and took some pictures on Monday night because I was bored, I was pretty pleased with this one, shame the car was filthy!

998093_10152276300329855_1214357010_n.jp

I was wondering the other night what the deal was with 'upgrading' to LED bulbs. I keep seeing trouble-shooting from fitting them on forums, and although I do get why LED's are 'technically' better than normal halogens (lifespan and power-consumption), I fail to see the real world implications. Lifespan doesn't really bother me; I've been driving 6 years, and I've had 2 bulbs blow in the ~117000 miles I've covered in that time. Plus halogen bulbs cost like 50p, it's hardly a big deal if they blow once every 3 years. Power consumption adds up to about 0.3bhp used by halogens with the dipped beams on, going up to a MAX of ~1bhp if you're breaking while reversing with your hazards and high beams on in a car with 4 high beams, 2 fogs and 2 reversing lights, so it's hardly a massive amount to save. I've heard of them being used on racing cars to allow the use of narrower (and therefore lighter) wiring, but never really got retro-fitting them to a car designed for halogens. I'll gladly be proved wrong though if anyone knows a good reason for using them?

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 2

Mark, passat estate all day long. Mondeos are bland as hell and rot something evil. 1.9tdi passat will do all you ask.

I did see a Mondeo on Autotrader for just under a grand that seemed pretty reasonable, although it was the saloon rather than estate version so I'm assuming the load space would be restricted quite a bit. Had cruise control 'n' shit though which would probably be good fuel economy wise.

You need a Passat or a Skoda Octavia estate Mark.

I was thinking the exact same car (octavia)

Only Octavias I can see are either petrol and cheap or diesel and pretty pricey, unfortunately.

Or a Honda Accord. Hugely under estimated luxury load lugger.

Saw a relatively cheap Accord the other day, but wasn't really too sure what they were actually like. Maybe I'll look into it a bit more...

Thanks for all the suggestions too (Y)