The Car Thread

MadManMike

I had some realllllly good times hanging out in retail estates with car people.

No Rice started it off for me, then SW Oldschool, then I started the SW Dubs meets.

Met some cracking friends at car park meets.

No Rice used to be 200 cars strong back in the day, 30/40 cars at SW Oldschool and the same amount at SW Dubs.

The only really twattish behavior I have seen was at a SW Oldschool meet where a bunch of old blokes in Porsches turned up, all the young kids in 20Vt Mk2's and the like rolled out quietly, then this precession of Porsches did burnouts and donuts and went smoking up the road flat out.

If you want to avoid the twats then turn up early, go home before 10.

Edited by Pashley26

The only conclusion I've made from this page us if everyone thinks retail park meets are full of dicks, yet jarhead likes them, he must be a dick?

The only car park meet I go to is Derby Dubs if I remember it's on, there's sometimes some good stuff there but it's turned into a sti/vxr/rs meet now and who's got the biggest BOV.

• Like 1

I had some realllllly good times hanging out in retail estates with car people.

No Rice started it off for me, then SW Oldschool, then I started the SW Dubs meets.

Met some cracking friends at car park meets.

No Rice used to be 200 cars strong back in the day, 30/40 cars at SW Oldschool and the same amount at SW Dubs.

The only really twattish behavior I have seen was at a SW Oldschool meet where a bunch of old blokes in Porsches turned up, all the young kids in 20Vt Mk2's and the like rolled out quietly, then this precession of Porsches did burnouts and donuts and went smoking up the road flat out.

If you want to avoid the twats then turn up early, go home before 10.

It's Southern Old School, not SW Oldschool by the way ;) (Pretty sure that's the meet you're on about)

I do have to stick up for Jardo on this one though. There are well behaved car meets that are held in car-parks, and having been to a few of the ones he's on about, they're definitely some of them. There's always one or two pricks, but the majority of people at them were well behaved and just chatting/looking at the cars, not driving around or even running them.

Sadly the majority are utter bollocks though, and they do make a SH*T backdrop for photos. I don't see it as 'realism' any public place is just as 'real' in my eyes, and with that in mind I'd rather see them at the coast/on the hills/ on the top of a multi-story with clear views in the background. If you're stuck with the retail-park there's usually at least areas without fussy looking adverts all over the background.

Edited by RobinJI

anyone in the know about carbon fibre.

Im on the hunt for a vented carbon bonnet.

2 places i have been in touch with 1 charging 1200 but with delivery and import it comes close to 2k and another uk based company are away to release 1 at £1900.

These prices to me seem an absolute piss take i was hoping to spend something closer to 1k.

Are these companys trying to have my pants down with these prices. My mate got a full carbon bonnet made up for around 500.

that meet was an organised charity meet in aid some lil kid whos got some dead shitty disease or something i dunno

there were about two hundered 'modified' cars and probably another 100 halfords spectacular motors.

Picadilly Boy Racers turned up with their lambos and porsches.

the second part of the night was another retail park announced on the night by word of mouth rather than social media to try give us time to play before police turned up.

I had about 20 mins of donuting around 'photographers' and lamposts and doing burnouts etc before the police shut us down.

first cruise ive been to in a rwd drive car and had the balls to get out there and attempt to throw it about poperly in front 500 people, i did really enjoy it.

yeah that slag and the lil dude shooting the pics of her her were on every single motor that night. his camera didnt look anything special but he had what appeared to be some sort of light stolen from a middle aged persons garage door mounted on top of it.

yeah that slag and the lil dude shooting the pics of her her were on every single motor that night. his camera didnt look anything special but he had what appeared to be some sort of light stolen from a middle aged persons garage door mounted on top of it.

Fantastic :lol:

Where was it, Beckton?

I'll admit, I do like going to meets like that. I've got a nice group of mates who are well into it and it's good to just meet up and do something car-related on the cheap, but my god you do get some retards. The in thing at the moment seems to be turning up in a standard Fiesta ST on finance, so boring.

• Like 1

My turbo and manifold have been sent (and received) by one of the 1.8t tuning legends, to be bored out from 42mm to 47mm. Hopefully that will see the back of the choking I was experiencing! Now I just have to wait for him to fit them in, he is a very busy man.

Really looking forward to getting it back. Should notice a fair difference by all accounts, even unmapped and on actuator pressure.

Nick, what are you doing with your old bells?

Right so its new car time! I haven't documented my recent driving history but it hasn't been good! Took my Yaris off-roading just to one side of a busy dual carriage way into a tree, I was quoted £800 just to fix it (not even replacing pannels or anything like that) so I scrimped and sourced parts and managed to get the thing on the road and MOT'ed for £70! Which was a pain in the ass and took a "few" zip ties but well worth it! The car is now dented on every single pannel and looks like I've been banger racing (if anyone wants pics I can provide later). So just got a new job and the missis is complaining about getting the bus so f**k it time to just buy a better car.

Probably have £2k to spend. I like the Audi A3 but seem a little bit out my price range - I can get an older BMW.... suggestions? In reality I just want something which looks pretty decent and wont be breaking down. My new work is close to home and if I were driving any real distance I would just take one of my dads company cars so fuel economy isn't my hugest conern but must be insurable!

(oh yea forgot to add if its not German I'll be allowed to park it on the drive so that would be a bonus)

Edited by Simpson

Mate picked up an older A3 20VT Quattro, with 6 gears and all the fancy shit you could ever want for £700 (and it's his first car, the shit!), so either one of them or an E46 Beemer for me in that price bracket :)

My turbo and manifold have been sent (and received) by one of the 1.8t tuning legends, to be bored out from 42mm to 47mm. Hopefully that will see the back of the choking I was experiencing! Now I just have to wait for him to fit them in, he is a very busy man.

Really looking forward to getting it back. Should notice a fair difference by all accounts, even unmapped and on actuator pressure.

Nick, what are you doing with your old bells?

I will be bolting them back into my almost brand new Godspeed 330 x 28 rotors, and testing them on the car to see how they perform. if the'yre fine for road use, as I suspect they will be, then I'll be selling them on. not without testing them first though.

Why are you buying off the shelf springs anyway?

The amount of abuse your car gets I would have thought you would have a set of heavy duty springs made for you.

I'm not buying off the shelf springs though. I send them information about the load on each wheel, intended use and expect them to send me the right springs :/