The Car Thread

MadManMike

Well, exhaust was blowing so I took it to the mechaniker

they started badly, as they have changed the oil pressure sensure, cleaned the exhaust check oils and other stuff

£140. Yep, I think it is time, to learn how to use a spanner

quick search: a full exhaust sistem (from downpipe to backbox) is £35

Speaking of shit garages - my Mum told me about her last MOT experience on the weekend. She works 7 miles from her house so was getting it MOT'd near where she works to make life easier. Took it in in the morning, then didn't hear anything all day. Called them at 4pm and they told her it had failed and that they'd ordered some new parts in that wouldn't be there until the day after, and the car had to stay in. Didn't think to tell her that at any point, or even ask her if she was OK with that work (and some other random work they decided needing doing) being completed. She agreed and sorted out an alternative means of getting home/back to work the day after. Picked the car up the next day along with a pretty hefty bill with some dubious jobs on it.

Fast forward 2 weeks and she got a call from the garage saying they'd charged her card for another £100-or-so for some work they "forgot to put on the invoice".

It's not really hard to see why the vast majority of people f**king hate car garages.

Seriously, what? Personally I'd never let myself get hussled like that. On principle I'd tell them to f'ck off.

Same here, although I think she felt that as they'd "done the work" (maybe...) they were entitled to it. I don't think she's planning on going there again though, especially after getting her latest MOT done at a garage down here in Cardiff where it was all quick and easy and the guy kept in touch the whole time </what she said>.

Wow. Can they even do that?

Legally probably not, but I guess when it's a garage run by twats dealing with a single 50-something-year-old woman I imagine they feel they can take some liberties.

We've tried telling her repeatedly that the garages local to her are all shit but she wouldn't come down here to get anything done. She paid about a grand more for her current car than she needed to for much the same reason, primarily because she wanted to get it from an official dealer (who were shit with things afterwards anyway).

Coming from someone who works in the industry, they should NEVER have been able to charge again without the card payers permission/details.

Communication is key in making garage business' successful, otherwise people get upset/angry.

Hippy, if the exhaust was changed along with the oil pressure sensor and the oil change, £140 isn't much of a con.

Getting my weld on tonight, both Micras going up for sale shortly and both need sorting.

Edited by SamKidney

Hippy, if the exhaust was changed along with the oil pressure sensor and the oil change, £140 isn't much of a con

yep, i learnt my lesson, but at least some stuff was done professionally, i cannot do anything else

it jyst really hurts my wallet

Uncharacteristic I know, but I've actually measured something, accurately marked it out, divided spacing equally and all the hole markings line up and are uniform.

10914846_1619158158299359_57261471600133

If I can keep this up until Thursday and successfully hold a drill without putting a hole in the bonnet or something stupid I might actually be able to drive my car on Thursday afternoon.

Strapped the bonnet to the roof on one before as it was over heating going up the alps last year

I haven't heard a single good thing about them, :(

Haha these + Jardo's response all kinda point to one conclusion - don't do it.

Damn it.

Edited by Wrayvon