The Car Thread

MadManMike

Time to sell my Mx5/eunos. I know someone on here had messaged me before about it but can't remember who? Anyway it needs 4 new tyres cause they're cracked otherwise it's all groovey. Had an absolute blast driving out to a spot to shoot photos, think I'm gunna miss it.

Stupidly, I'm interested...PM inbound

Edited by AndrewEH1
  • Like 1

Yeah, it's a turbo, it will do that.

Nice torque curve!

Do you have a before plot to compare? Bet it was a right mess originally!

My turbo'd civic doesn't seem to drop off as early as that though, how big is the turbo?

post-13634-0-25572500-1430430988_thumb.j

Edited by LiamWood!

Because of all the space where the torque should be on your plot...

-

I know you're all bored of this, but here's a proper update that I can copy and paste everywhere.

-

Today was the day.

As everyone knows the Mk2's been running around on an unknown map, which I deemed as safe because I think I know everything.

The Mk2 had it's problems, it would misfire under full throttle, I had various N75 faults, throttle body faults, atmospheric pressure sensor faults, overboost issues, no real way of telling the AFR, no real indication of timing, no idea if the MAF values were correct, and no idea if the injector tables were adjusted correctly.

I did however rectify 99% of those problems, overlook one and develop ways of driving the car so that it was safe enough to still have fun in. So in my mind, it wasn't all that bad.

Getting the car mapped at Jabbasport was a big thing for me, for many reasons. As we all know I'm wholly devoted to Niki at R Tech, and he has looked after me so well in the past, and done such an absolutely fantastic job that I felt disloyal to him and nervous about taking the car anywhere else.

I didn't want to burden him with the uncertainty of mapping my car, I didn't want to experience his wrath if I turned up and it was an un-tunable shit heap, and I didn't want to cost him money by booking me in and wasting his time.

Kevin from Jabba approached me on Facebook and talked me through mapping options, said it could be done in a day, quoted me a very reasonable price and won over my business.

Up at 5 this morning, and on the road for 6. My appointment with Jabba was at 9:30, and I didn't have a clue what to expect.

11062260_1625404404341401_58519596844615

Traffic was easy, made plenty of time.

I had to deliver something to a mate of mine, we agreed to meet at a service station on the A1.

So, a service station on the A1 consists of a petrol station, a BBQ shop and a sex shop...f**k me, they really are great up North.

11188148_1625404307674744_36385909820938

I then drove past another three 'gentleman clubs' on the A1. Maybe I live in the wrong place?

Got totally lost trying to find Jabba, they've built a stupid bypass and changed their postcode location; but they haven't moved!

11146179_1625404221008086_12863389168836

I got a lovely warm welcome from Jabba, really nice family run business, everybody was so accommodating and friendly all day. I felt really welcome and nothing was too much trouble.

They let me use some of their tools to raise the suspension a bit more on the Mk2 to get it on the rollers, their setup is quite deep and a bit different to other dyne's I've been around.

11114760_1625404204341421_68296107791740

Their rollers sit like this.

20199_1625401431008365_52352891411247083

They must work though, we had no traction issues all day and we didn't even need to use a contact adhesive on the tires.

Got the car on the rollers, did a few low speed runs, a few half throttle runs and worked out where we were.

Mike was having a few issues, and we couldn't work out why.

Now, Prawn told me about this...And I forgot.

AGU's run an atmospheric pressure sensor, to tell the ECU the atmospheric correction factor required to adjust the fueling for a denser airflow.

When we fault code read my car the fault code came up and wouldn't disappear.

The atmospheric pressure sensor sits near the airbox, and has a three pin connector. The wiring goes with the loom which runs behind the engine.

I didn't have a plug, so I assumed it had been coded out.

I changed the TB, reset the fault codes and it didn't re-appear. So I assumed it was an anomaly.

It wasn't, it's the reason the car hasn't been running right.

These aren't a part which EVER fails, so nobody has spares of them because they just don't break. And I didn't have one, and we couldn't map my car without one.

TPS didn't have one, Euro didn't have one, none of the breakers within a 30 mile radius had one, there wasn't one on a car at the workshop that we could nick one from. And we couldn't find the wiring for it either.

Googled the wiring, found the colours. Eventually found the plug. The plug had been shortened and was positioned along side where the carbon canister would sit in a Mk4/A3, so on the opposite side of the engine bay to where it should be.

But we still didn't have a sensor.

So Mike took me back to his house, a fairly lengthy drive away and we had a rummage though his workshop.

At this point you can imagine I'm freaking out; I've driven hours, paid a load of money and taken up a load of his time for a £20 part I could have fixed weeks ago had I of known.

:(

BINGO!

11182146_1625401284341713_34310240610220

BINGO BINGO!

11156289_1625401261008382_35280252461432

Phhhhhew.

We raced back, I fitted the sensor, Mike got logging at part throttle and everything was sweet.

22727_1625401241008384_57697153407099914

Now for those who don't know. AGU's are a bit weird. At part throttle they use the lambda sensor to keep everything in check. At full throttle they resort to a pre-defined table of values to determine almost everything. So an AGU is almost indestructible at part throttle, because it'll just shit the bed and protect itself when things get out of hand. But on full throttle they have basically closed their eyes and started running around based on what you've told them.

Bless.

So Mike cleared the fault codes, the car was then registering what so we did a quick run.

Then we started getting a misfire at what again.

You can really hear how eager the car is to spool up, it really wants to go at low revs.

Mike thought it might be a dodgy ignition amplifier, potentially a coil pack or a failing injector. But we both agreed it would be the plug gaps (Prawn told me this days ago...)

So I pulled the plugs out, gapped them and put them back.

This gave us a really clean pull, no misfires, no faults, no issues, no codes raised. We were happy :)

The mapping wasn't great, and it sounded like it was overboosting. It was however a clean run with no faults. Or so we thought...

A few weeks ago Prawn gave me an N75 valve, before I changed the throttle body. Because the car had an N75 fault code. We fitted the N75, I drove it around on part throttle and still had the issue, so he gave me another. That was before I correctly diagnosed the throttle body and changed it...The N75 I had fitted didn't throw a code, and the car drove 100% better than it did before the TB. So I assumed I'd sorted both issues.

Turns out that the N75 Prawn had given me first was sticky, and was fully open.

This resulted in exactly the overboost and terrifying experience I've been driving around for the last few weeks, and when coupled with the atmospheric sensor and the gapped plugs it gave a strong and clean run...With 1.8bar boost!

The resulting chaos was a true 'before' reading of my car, as per the map, as I was driving it and what I've been honing around in.

11208666_1625400601008448_33568646601528

Quite scary really.

Which begs the question; maybe this engine has a set of rods in it? Or maybe it's just stronger than any stock internal 1.8t known to man? Who knows...

So I swapped the N75 for Prawn's spare which I'd taken with me, and from there on in it was all plain sailing!

Until my car decided that the expansion tank was going to blow up, and thew coolant all over my ECU, all over Jabba's emulator, all over the car, all over the rollers, all over everything basically.

Shit me was I worried about that when it went off haha!

So Mike spent a few hours refining the map, making it smooth, load testing it, logging and explaining to me what he was doing.

And we ended up with this.

11164729_1625400581008450_68632953201719

Which sounded like this.

And thanks to the gliding centre air strip which is just round the corner from Jabba (actual truth) went like this.

It just keeps pulling and pulling, and it's so smooth. Absolutely love it.

To drive it feels like a constant pull, low down the torque kicks in with a little boost spike to get things going and just as the torque starts to go it is replaced with power. It is exactly what I wanted, almost to the digit in terms of figures.

It doesn't feel like any of my 1.8t's have before, and it's great. Deceptive, but great.

There's a few things to sort, the exhaust is very restrictive and could be freeing up some power. And I really need to sort the oil leaks out now.

Now the most important thing that I can say about today, which totally eclipses the car because cars come and go...

EVERYBODY at Jabbasport was outstanding, I literally cannot thank them enough. My car was an absolute b*****d today, but the entire family were so patient and helpful today that I feel they need a huge shout out and recognition for a hard days work with me.

The quality of mapping was outstanding, the knowledge that Mike had was fantastic and the business as a whole was so welcoming and professional that I can't urge people enough to go and see them.

And just look at the finished product. From a misfiring 1.8t conversion with missing sensors and dodgy mapping to this in a day...

11164729_1625400581008450_68632953201719

Spot on.

:)

Edited by Pashley26

Like I thought then, I'm used to seeing graphs from vtec engines.

I think you're used to seeing graphs from inefficiently large turbos.

I don't mean this negatively, or in as an 'I'm better than you nerrrr nerrrrr nerrrrr' statement however if we break it down.

We've got two engine that are the same displacement.

20VT with tiny K04 B18C with probably a GT28?

2000RPM 60BHP Would probably do absolutely nothing if you put your foot down.

3000RPM 160BHP 60BHP

4000RPM 220BHP 110BHP

5000RPM 250BHP 220BHP

6000RPM 235BHP 270BHP

At which point I change to the next gear, and repeat.

4000RPM 220BHP 7000RPM 308BHP

At this point you change a gear and it becomes

5000RPM 250BHP 5000RPM 220BHP

6000RPM 235BHP 6000RPM 270BHP

So absolutely flat out the 308BHP Civic with a large turbo, when changing gears in a straight line is technically and correctly speaking a faster car.

In the real world the same Civic with a smaller turbo which provides torque earlier would be a more beneficial addition than a big turbo that gives nothing for 5500RPM then goes mad for 2000RPM and gives nothing again.

Does that makes sense? Or do you think I'm a cock? Sorry...

Edited by Pashley26

I don't think your a cock at all, yours does have a broader power range. Mine is all 4k rpm onwards (after vtec kicks in yo) but I have a 4.7 final drive in my gear box, when I change gear it's never below 6.5k rpm so I'm never off peak torque and power. It's just like all Honda motors, I have nothing below 4k or vtec on the non boosted ones.

My turbo is a tdo5 which isn't too big, the problem I have is if i had a smaller turbo, it would be running out of puff at the top end which is how you drive a fast Honda.

Also that graph is WHP, I'm sure a graph from a roller dyno would look different ish?

Edited by LiamWood!