The Car Thread

MadManMike

Is it just mated to the standard exhaust currently?

Nope, it's a completely aftermarket exhaust, but a mish mash of different bits - stainless manifold to decat, then some random exhaust after that.

Whole lot cost me about £160 so can't grumble :)

I had my radiator flow tested yesterday, it's very blocked :( The guy will get me a proper quote on Monday but he said to expect it to be between £100-£200, although that should cure my cooling issues and it'll be far superior to what the car would have been fitted with as standard. Whilst I wait I have loads of new parts to fit and I'm cleaning/refurbishing parts as I go so the engine bay is going to look pretty good I hope! I'm surprised by how clean it all is inside on the rest of the system, I guess all the crap must have built up in the radiator?

I had my AC checked on the Astra yesterday too, I have a split condensor. So that's another load of money and work to sort, eurgh!

I had my radiator flow tested yesterday, it's very blocked :( The guy will get me a proper quote on Monday but he said to expect it to be between £100-£200, although that should cure my cooling issues and it'll be far superior to what the car would have been fitted with as standard. Whilst I wait I have loads of new parts to fit and I'm cleaning/refurbishing parts as I go so the engine bay is going to look pretty good I hope! I'm surprised by how clean it all is inside on the rest of the system, I guess all the crap must have built up in the radiator?

I had my AC checked on the Astra yesterday too, I have a split condensor. So that's another load of money and work to sort, eurgh!

I feel your pain. Can you not pick up the parts for less and do it yourself? Cost me around £120 and a day in the sun to do mine (through hunting for discounts rather than buying cheap parts)

I feel your pain. Can you not pick up the parts for less and do it yourself? Cost me around £120 and a day in the sun to do mine (through hunting for discounts rather than buying cheap parts)

Hopefully found a compatible condenser for £50 posted new, then AC charge is £40 so not as bad as I had initially thought but It'll have to wait until the Porsche is back on the road and happily working!

Whilst waiting for the refurbished radiator I have been cleaning the Porsches engine bay and tarting up bits and bobs, replacing bolts where possible so it's all nice and fresh. I have also sorted out some wiring and made that all a bit neater.

2015-07-05%2010.13.47_zpsflbypiyj.jpg

2015-07-05%2008.57.17_zpsjnck4qx1.jpg

Possibly need a new bobbin on the alternator mount..

2015-07-05%2011.08.55_zpsvanckxq5.jpg

Edited by CurtisRider

Also, how do you register a registration plate? Old owner wants to keep his personalised plates

Old owner pays his retention/transfer fee for his plate, DVLA assign the original (or age appropriate) plate to the car automatically and send out a V5 accordingly as part of the price.

Aren't the batteries in the "boot" on the Mx-5s? Check nothing's layed across the terminals and shorted anything. We've had more than one dragged in and the battery clamps have rattled loose and ended up shorting across

In micra related news, it's starting to show signs of age. Noticed an unusual amount of blue smoke when coming off the go pedal the other day, when it rains heavily it refuses to rev properly and idles like a fanny with lots of black smoke like its over fueling on idle and then experiencing a fuel cut when I press the accelerator.

I home brewed a tubular manifold the other week for it though and a home brew straight through exhaust to a home brew back box, suitably happy with how nippy it is for a little 1.0L haha

anyone knows a rough price to change the clutch in with a mechanic? Corsa c 1.0, so front engine, gearbox is at driver side. Part cost is £50 (clutch kit, pate, clutch, bearing) but if it would cost a lot (so it takes loads of time to replace them) then I would need to think about it, as there are nasty knocking sounds from the engine when it is warm...

anyone knows a rough price to change the clutch in with a mechanic? Corsa c 1.0, so front engine, gearbox is at driver side. Part cost is £50 (clutch kit, pate, clutch, bearing) but if it would cost a lot (so it takes loads of time to replace them) then I would need to think about it, as there are nasty knocking sounds from the engine when it is warm...

Engine knocks when warm on the corsa 1.0 and 1.2 engines mean it's usually a waiting game before something terminal happens.

Clutch replacement can range between £200-250 from what I've done in the past. I'd get that knocking inspected first. Won't be worth having the clutch done to have the engine lifted out weeks down the line.

Engine knocks when warm on the corsa 1.0 and 1.2 engines mean it's usually a waiting game before something terminal happens.

Clutch replacement can range between £200-250 from what I've done in the past. I'd get that knocking inspected first. Won't be worth having the clutch done to have the engine lifted out weeks down the line.

I think I am not going to use the car until September, then I move to Leeds (330 miles trip from up here) so I can pack all my stuff there. After that I will see how much funds I have and choose between repairing the car or get another one.

all i need a car for is to survive until April for the Bonus 1 for insurance and ofc moving to Leeds

Found the pipe before the silencer on my exhaust has a hole 1/3 of the way through so I'm gunna get both mild steel pipes replaced with stainless (silencer and "can" are stainless), brakes need discs+pads+bleed, also still need to polybush, refurb wheels, buy tyres and sort out a massive over fueling issue. Fun times!

Make the most of what you have and all that.

I'm learning new skills on something that I can damage without it really mattering that I can transfer onto something else down the line. All started somewhere..

Edited by SamKidney

Make the most of what you have and all that.

I'm learning new skills on something that I can damage without it really mattering that I can transfer onto something else down the line. All started somewhere..

Yeh, some of us have started with a 1.3l, proper Micra. :P