The Car Thread

MadManMike

Unusual sight when I was coming back home today, seems my cousin is doing pretty well for himself.

70onEMk.jpg

They are some machine. Tried to have a wee play with 1 in the teg and you would have thought i was stationary always good to see some 1 willing to give there car like that some.

Car passed its mot today thank god its a yearly thing. Going to take it out for a good blast tonight if the rain stays off its been sat for a few weeks.

Car failed on:
  • Front left headlight incorrectly fitted.
  • Front left sidelight out (I asked them to fit one prior to testing).
  • Front left underside needs welding. Roughly 1.5 inch hole (Which may or may not be the time not so long ago that the car fell off the jack...whoops!)
  • Front left Ball Joint needs new split pin.
  • Insufficient handbrake travel.
  • Rear right brake caliper not functioning.
  • Front right shock absorber needs replacing.
  • Rear right coil spring snapped.
Nothing much there to worry about, I already have new suspension in the boot ready to swap over, so I told them to do everything else.
  • Like 2

Car failed on:
  • Insufficient handbrake travel.

I need to MOT my MX5 by the end of the month too, apart from a non functioning rear fog my only issue is the handbrake. (That I've spotted, I'm sure there will be more!)

I'm probably being incompetent but after changing the pads all around trying to adjust the handbrake to get it to work well is nearly impossible!

Well, drove the McLaren and I'm somewhat overwhelmed. What a day.

edit: drank LOADS of bottles of wine with the cousin (still SOOO sloshed) and if the cousin doesn't change his mind, me and the missus are getting the car for the day tomorrow. Video to follow it if happens.

• Like 3

Back on the road again!
Rebuilt radiator
DSC_0039_zpsmdjusw81.jpg
Fresh bobbin for the alternator mount as the old one had fallen apart
DSC_0043_zpsc0t5ayeg.jpg
Engine bay is looking more and more like new
DSC_0050_zps4qu09dk4.jpg
DSC_0051_zpsldoamjq8.jpg
Lots more to do though, 1 more week to go and I have 7 weeks off so hopefully I can get some stuff done to this old thing

Can't do that right now :( I was hoping to do that over winter but with uncertainties about where i'll be living and where the car will be stored it leaves me stuck with this one for another year as I can't really be having the car immobile. I'll whack a new cam with adjustable pulley, a larger throttle body and rebuild the last bits of the injection system, should be good for 140+hp going by others experiences which will do for now :) I'm getting rid of the rear seats which saves a bunch of weight!

Not really, nothing that I wasn't expecting when I bought it.

Shopping list is -

Rear beam (hopefully pick one up with callipers and the shocks on)

O/S leaf spring for the back

Pair of rear shocks

That's all it needs mechanically, the rest is bodywork. For what I've paid it's a steal!

Booo, seatbelt pre-tensioners have fired, never mind. I removed all the ply lining tonight whilst waiting for my new beam and springs in an effort to remove the pure smell of dog, washed all the back end out too with detol to help.

So far so good thou, not found any other nasties so should be a nice turnaround.

Cheers Danny, I was already aware of this though - announced at the owners club meet on Wednesday :)

Might have to pop down there and see what's on offer.

In related news, the garage just called and to fix EVERYTHING on the list they estimate £280. To save any hassle I just told them to do the lot :D

Hopefully, I'll be driving home after work freshly MOT'd and lowered!

• Like 1

Copy pasta:

Made a bit of progress on the car over the weekend, fitted this pile of bits:
DSC_0359.jpg

These:
DSC_0358.jpg
Along with:

• LCR top mounts
  • 256mm vented rear set up
  • New bearings, bushings and bolts all round

Oh and some new rear lights as mine decided they were going to crack and craze when I washed the car a month or so back. Gave them a quick buff with the DA as they were a little scuffed and scratched:
IMAG0013.jpg

New bits going on up front:
IMAG0003.jpg
Bits fitted up back:
IMAG0009.jpg

In typical British summer tradition...rain stopped play..... several times:
IMAG00071.jpg

I say stopped whilst it was peeing it down I did climb underneath and finally fit my lambda spacer, no more EML clear.png

Bits up front all done:
IMAG0004.jpg
Everything went together all ok, no seized bolts or dramas. Apart from finding the disc retaining bolts had both been sheared off in the hubs, but certainly nothing too taxing.

IMAG0016.jpg
All finished (photobombed by next doors cat...). Then trailered it off and got it all hunter 4 wheel laser aligned, not surprisingly the handling is so much tighter. Just wants to grip (comparative to how it was) and for some reason actually wants to go around corners now. The stark difference was definitely made even more obvious by the fact that what was taken off was on its last legs! Having brakes that want to stop is novel too.

Slight issue with the brakes in that the ABS kicks in on the front drivers side when coming to a complete stop i.e. below 5 mph, so going to clean up the ABS ring and sensor, see if that sorts it. No faults otherwise.

Going to get some braided lines off of Bill @Badger5 as the original flexis were a little tired, what's the best way to clip the lines to the shocks to keep them out of the way? Can imagine zip ties are an MOT failure...

Now i've got it stopping and going around corners I can plan to send the manifold to Bill to get it ported, get an uprated actuator from Dan and sort myself an EBay FMIC setup before mapping.