The Car Thread

MadManMike

Varying guides on the internet, but when it comes to fitting coilies, am I right in saying that I can just remove the big (21mm?) bolt from the arms, rather than using a spring compressor?

It's a pretty straightforward job, I'd have thought, but I've been caught out by this stuff before...

In particular, with the Leon, I didn't realise I'd have to change the ARB before fitting - there's no bullshit like that with MX-5's is there?

13 minutes ago, AdamAllen said:

techniclutch

Looks like an ebay clutch supplier.. seems legit, just cant understand why its so cheap!

Dont. run, just run.

Techniclutch has the worst rep going. destroyed a brand new clutch in 4 months, was made from absolute cheese

1 minute ago, forteh said:

Didn't jardo have issues with techniclutch as well?

That said, if it is indeed a sachs branded unit there shouldn't be quality issues?  I'm assuming the above unit was a techniclutch own brand?

Exactly, it does say its a Sachs full kit, with 4year/40000 mile warranty, I'd only entertain Sachs or LUK.

Apparently they're cheap clutchs from china rebranded. When i looked into it, theres people having to take them to small claims court, ect to get their money back. By the sounds of it not many people got refunds or labour bills paid, so i didnt bother. (the clutch came on the car i brought, so i technically didnt buy it. )

first page of google says enough:

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, craigjames said:

I thought it might be Techniclutch from the advert that's why I asked.

Have a quick Google about Techniclutch, that should be enough to put you even considering purchasing from them.

snaked me by a minute :P

The rolling cabinet thing I got for a tenner was a bit tatty and I didn't like the surface either.

2016-06-06%2021.11.07_zpslenfbnnc.jpg

A quick sand and the draws are now black on the front (stayed white inside for visibility) and the scratched body is clean blue again. I have added a magnetic tool holder strip and the little chrome lip things will be ideal for lin bins with a little modification to get them sitting level. I have laid a nice piece of beech kitchen work surface on top (needs trimming), I think it'll look pretty nice and that then gives me the option to run a vice if needed as it should be beefy enough. I can't decide whether to bother with the side table part or not, alternatively I could put a power strip on there and some brackets for angle grinders, impact gun, etc?

2016-07-07%2020.10.16_zpsbz1vm5cl.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CurtisRider said:

I can't decide whether to bother with the side table part or not, alternatively I could put a power strip on there and some brackets for angle grinders, impact gun, etc?

The bluepoint roller cabs i used in college had a table bit like that and although a good idea I found that in practice stuff I put on there made a bid for the floor so I gave up using it. And the stays weren't strong enough for any real weight imo, Id make up a permanent stick out shelf (or two, one each side) with multi sized holes drilled into it so ratchets, pry bars, the BFH & such can be dropped through for drop and grab tool changes. The power bank (4 gang extension mounted to the cab with a long plug lead??)  and grinder hook seems a solid shout so long as it includes a cable tidy for the tool leads, having a free standing all-in-one workstation sounds mint. If only we had the real estate for a big enough shop to justify one.

I'd definitely build me a grinder scarecrow too...

Edited by CC12345678910

Spot on, I'm liking those ideas! I already have several decent benches so extra surface space on this is probably unecessary. I have 8 4.5" grinders so a few can live on this and the rest on my welding cart (that'll have the MIG, TIG and plasma cutter on it). I'm going to order some new castors that are braked as this thing likes to run away! There's a bracket on the back that I I could use to mount a power strip+cable tidy. 

I need to make some drawer dividers at some point, currently I'm using it to store a bunch of wood working power tools as I'm running out of space in my garage but once it's in my new workshop I can chuck in car stuff.

On the off chance, does anyone know any good, reasonable welders in the South West?

I'm looking to get my sills chopped out and replaced, I don't need a factory perfect job, just want them rust free so the car can live on. Also don't need paint matching or anything, just a blow over in primer is fine as I'll be painting the whole car soon anyway.

So far I've been quoted £800 for both sides, which is waaaaaay too much.

My wheel fell off :(

Bumper, wing and door need replacing. Slight damage to the rear quarter too. The wheel nuts I have on just gave way. Two stripped and two split! On with getting in touch with the manufacturer of them, not on.