The Car Thread

MadManMike

Haha yes it is! Didn't even notice it was that obvious in the picture!
The airbag light is on, because the control module has a fault. It's not that expensive to replace, but the job involves taking the whole centre console out to get to it! And I just can't be bothered. :)

Got my car home

6EEBC0C7-13CD-4D1B-ADE5-C3C89C9BACCE-308

But it don't work ha, new dizzy going on tomorrow, thinking its hall sender in dizzy after having cleared just about everything fuel related and a few other things.

Been driving my sisters 1 litre frog look micra recently. I didn't realise a guys dignity could go this low!!!!

Pah, 160k? That it!? ;)

In 5 years :P

I was looking in all the nooks an crannys today for a cable I'd lost, found a set of newish looking Honda keys in the back of the glovebox?!

Question..

If car a did 180k over 10-12 years in small 20 mile journeys, would the wear rate be any different to a car that's done 180k in 5 years on 100mile+ journeys?

Question..

If car a did 180k over 10-12 years in small 20 mile journeys, would the wear rate be any different to a car that's done 180k in 5 years on 100mile+ journeys?

I would have thought short journeys would hurt s load more, not running at optimal temp etc. Where as longer journeys are up to temp usually and on roads where cruising while not ragging the engine would be more common.

All depends how the cars been driven.

Edit: I'm only at 109k :(

Edited by Duncy H

Put it in third, hold the revs at 3.5k and gently let the clutch all the way out. If the car stalls your clutch is fine, if it slips its f**ked.

Whut?

If you slowly let the clutch out in 3rd at 3.5k then I don't think there's a car out there that would fail to pull away, shagged clutch or not :blink:

Infact that's pretty much the method I used to drive my old Vento around for a couple of months when all but 3rd and 4th gears disappeared :lol: and the clutch was absolutely fine...

Also on the matter of milage, the front engine from my old silver Golf has done well over 220k, puts out 170BHP (compared to the standard 140) and is still running sub 14 second quarters B)

Edited by Jolfa
  • Like 1

Whut?

If you slowly let the clutch out in 3rd at 3.5k then I don't think there's a car out there that would fail to pull away, shagged clutch or not :blink:

Infact that's pretty much the method I used to drive my old Vento around for a couple of months when all but 3rd and 4th gears disappeared :lol: and the clutch was absolutely fine...

The clutch isn't fine if the car doesn't stall in third. No other way of putting it I am sorry to say. You can take it to extremes and slip the clutch like f**k to pull away as you were, but that isn't the test. To do it properly you need to engage the clutch as you would a normal first gear pull away.

That test is something which is done by our Ford Mastertech guys at work ans was taught to them by Ford, and is something my dad (ex head apprentice trainer at Mercedes Benz world at Brooklands) has done for 30 years, because it is quite rare for Mercs to be manual it is quite common for tech's to not know how to test a clutch. I was taught it in level 3 NVQ Motor Vehicle Tech, and as I say I do it every day when appraising part exchanges. :)

Try it the way I have said without trying to slip the clutch. You should get a different result. :)

Prawn and I take the biscuit on mileage, stage 2 A3's with 450,000 between them and a 60% power increase over standard. Both our cars had never had the head off them in over 210k. :P

Edited by Pashley26

"Stage" tuning is just an basic way of defining the levels of tune.

A stage 1 for instance is a generic map designed to work on vehicles with basic modifications. Like an air filter but otherwise a standard car.

Stage 2 is the designed for a car with a more specific set of modifications which will have a large effect on the cars ability to perform. So a filter and a dump valve, a larger turbo intake pipe, a downpipe and a front mount intercooler for instance. Tuning companies pick the most popular bolt on modifications and write maps to suit.

Stage 2 tuning is slowly going out of the window as more and more tuners are writing their own maps and tuning on a more custom level.

The mods there are for a 1.8t, but it is the same principle for most cars.

Edited by Pashley26

So! i got crashed into today .. or last night idk

Lady left a note on my car but i couldnt stop and talk due to a job interview .. she wants to go through the insurance but with my old car and 500 quid excess it'll write my car off most likley .. do i g to the body shop and see how much it'll cost to get fixed and get the cash from her?

P1000362_zps8a1e7845.jpg

P1000361_zps2994e83b.jpg

P1000363_zps5a397968.jpg

P1000364_zps80f9b245.jpg

How on earth do you get a set of piston rings to last for 220k? Or has it been rebored?

For the first 210k it lived in an Audi 80, probable never went over 4k revs, the standard cams means it runs out of puff at about that, 1.8 cams transform the 2.0's B)

Having said that all of my MK2 16v's had done well over 160k and still went well :)