The Car Thread

MadManMike

Start to finish, just thinking twaaaaaaaaaaats. Everything about that was offensive.

I have been watching a load of honda street drag videos and its like that in the states apparently, people get stabbed, lose money gang fights and shit because of this type of racing. basically the video from 1:30 onwards is the only good part. Thats civic shifting though gears is ear candy <3.

It just sounds like a cross between a strimmer, a very angry bee and a moped :huh: Can't say I'm a fan, it's all buzz with no raw. It's all well and good saying it draws attention to the car, but a giant, illuminated, rotating inflatable penis strapped to the roof would also draw attention, it doesn't make it a good thing. The thing that annoys me about overly loud cars is that you can't choose to not hear them, you can choose to not really look at a car as it drives past if you don't care about it, but you can't just not hear a twatish exhaust, which makes it really imposing and quite obnoxious in my eyes. I don't understand exhausts that are over around 100db anyway, if it's louder than that you wont be aloud to use it anywhere where the tiny amount of extra power gained will actually ever be needed. My Scirocco's far from quiet, but at the same time its not going to interrupt people's conversations as I drive past, or wake the neighbors up as I arrive home late.

Anyway, rant over. I'm driving into the middle of Wales tomorrow, gutted that I'll be driving my mum's Fabia, the roads around where we're going look awesome.

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 1

Those Hondas are so stupid.

And this is coming from somebody who has 4 years worth of Hot Version videos.

I LOVE Hondas. I really really do, I think they are heroic cars with SO much potential.

But people who post this whole hipster scene thing up and are proud of the fact that their cars set off alarms, and that they are "in your face", and people stare as they scrape down the road REALLY annoy me. It is just attention seeking.

For me this is the dream Civic -

www.civictyper.org/images/ek9.jpg

You jump in it, go find a B road and exploit that beautiful chassis and engine to its fullest extent. Knowing you can drive it on the total limit and still be kind of safe, because it has a decent suspension setup, an engine that will sit in the red all day and a responsive chassis. Then every other day of the week you can jump in it and roll to work and back only drawing the attention of true petrol heads who admire your awesome choice of vehicle.

Not this -

www.stateofstance.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/hardparked_eg_sos_3.jpg

Which is a wanker to drive anywhere, and just sits there looking a bit wonky and attracting attention to itself wherever you drive it. Whilst being unsafe and only admired by other kids with silly cars.

I do get it; I understand why people like this sort of thing because I used to be the same with VW's. But I guess I have grown out of it.

Edited by Pashley26

I'm so gutted my quattro is out of order, and I just happen to be at home with it for one night only, and it's just so happened to snow :'(

The roads around us cleared instantly, even car parks were melted pretty fast.

Does this mean you have stopped playing with K11s then Davey? You almost made them look acceptable!

And yes, silly loud and raspy exhausts sound a bit nasty. I don't see the appeal, a deep sounding, grumbly exhaust sounds way cooler

What do you mean almost :P

For now I've stopped but it wont necessarily be the end.

So you're the numpty I see who hasn't cleared his windows or roof before setting off ;).

*Italian driver* I clear the windows i need... hehe.

Love it, always fancied one of them. How are you finding it? What's it like to drive?

Its awesome, handles far better than most stuff I'm forced to drive, it has double wishbone suspension up front and independent rear which is a new novelty on one of my cars.

It handles like a hot hatch, turn in, floor it, grip grip grip. I can't make it under steer without scary scary speeds being involved.

Seats are like little leather pieces of heaven haha, supportive and insanely comfy.

Awesomely practical as well, big boot, folding rear seats and a sexy swoopy body.

The looks i get as a 21 year old driving it make me smile like a numpty haha.

Dry pictures before i gave it the compulsorily first wash.

2013-01-12111840.jpg

2013-01-12111947.jpg

2013-01-12112025-1.jpg

2013-01-12112007.jpg

The i cleaned it and ruined it immediately in the snow haha.

Oh quick little list of... I shall call them Alfaism's.

Washers don't work.

Wiper stalk is peculiar. it goes, intermittent - super mega fast - normal...

Upper wishbones knock. As nearly every 156 / 147 and GTV does.

Blows sidelight bulbs for fun... Good circuit according to multi meter no shorts or high resistance...

The brightest headlights ever! I get flashed constantly even with my mains off..

On my TDCi Focus if I am flooring it, the revs raise at around 3800rpm faster than normal yet the car doesn't seem to go faster. And coming out of junctions it's starting to judder a bit and just feels a bit weird when i'm clutch controlling.

From my rolling road print out it shows thats peak power, could my clutch be going do you think? It is on 129000 miles and in my service history I can't see anything stating it's had a clutch change.

It was remapped to 143bhp a few months back, I never floor it harshly from standing, heard that's meant to be awful for the clutch and dmf. Usually boot it when it's moving if I feel like it.

It doesn't feel hard to get into gear though, but I am hench as absolute f**k jks

Edited by dann2707

Yup clutch slip.

Put it in third, hold the revs at 3.5k and gently let the clutch all the way out. If the car stalls your clutch is fine, if it slips its f**ked.

Industry standard test which I do probably 5 times a day appraising part exchanges.

Edited by Pashley26

Yup clutch slip.

Put it in third, hold the revs at 3.5k and gently let the clutch all the way out. If the car stalls your clutch is fine, if it slips its f**ked.

Industry standard test which I do probably 5 times a day appraising part exchanges.

Thanks! I'll give that a go tomorrow. Is 3.5k for diesels too yup yup?

What if we have no functioning instruments whatsoever? :P

I think mine's well on the way out, throttle very much becomes a constant-speed-variable-noise affair when accelerating hard through 4th (top).

Edited by Skoze

Back from what my friends call a "nocturnal training session". I can hardly believe it, but we covered 120!! miles in woods and on fields. At one stage we might have been running away from the police, we're not really sure if they were after us or just taking the same route. Quickly got away.

All together lots of fun, very high skill from all the drivers. They all race rwd cars and in the winter they bring out their cheap tatty 4WD's and enjoy themselves.

I live in a flat part of the country and I couldn't believe the elevation differences we got on the stages. Many of them were absolutely amazing, fairly twisty and with drops and inclines through the corners. Can't say I'm getting the hang of driving a 4x4, it's definitely getting more familiar but there's still a long way to go. As far as I can tell, the way to go through a corner not stupidly quickly is to actually do all the steering before the corner and keep the wheels straight while you're in the corner, steering with the throttle. I think this is called a Scandinavian flick? It's similar to a feint drift. Either way, I can't feel the mass of the car, can't always find the grip to go in the opposite direction to the corner before turning in. Also not sure what applying the brakes does. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. Weird.

dsc02323hp.jpg

One of the most amusing moments for me, Bednary is a very small town but also a disfunct airfield which until recently was open for drifting events, rallysprint and so on. Once you paid, you could do whatever you want. They no longer allow motorsport. My mates kept saying they know how to get in, that there's a hole in the fence somewhere. I think the general idea was that if we got in, it was certain someone would call the police. And while it would usually take them about half an hour to get there, we though there's bound to be a patrol car nearby considering we might have been chased earlier on.

dsc02322jf.jpg

Usual sight, we'd complete a stage, then wait for everyone to come through, turn back and do it again. We'd repeat each stage no more than 2-3x each way, there are occasionally houses nearby and it's not uncommon for locals to call the police. It's also apparently illegal to drive in woods.

dsc02321yx.jpg

I think this is a GTR, not sure though. Guy had to go back home fairly early because one of his brake pipes burst and he didn't have any brakes.

dsc02313d.jpg

And the only powerful car there, everything else was below 100bhp.

dsc02303iv.jpg

Edited by Greetings
  • Like 2